Friday, 20 October 2017

The Hollow - Reading My Books

Another Agatha Christie!  I was poking around on my bookshelf of books waiting to be read and behind one row - they are stacked two deep! - I discovered a whole pile of Agatha's so I thought I better get to and read more of them.  Otherwise I will be left with nothing but Agatha's to read!

The Hollow is a Hercule Poirot mystery - for those who don't know he is the Belgian detective hero of many of Agatha Christies books.  I haven't read many of the Poirot books, although I have seen most of the television adaptations - many more than once!

I remembered when I started this book that I had seen the television adaptation, but not what the outcome of it was, although I realised fairly early on what was happening in the story.  I didn't actually work out who the killer was immediately though because I had two suspects, neither of whom were actually guilty.

The Hollow tells the story of John and Gerda Christow.  John is a Harley Street doctor, married to Gerda, and they have two children.  They are invited to the home of the Angkatell's for the weekend, Hercule Poirot is also to be a guest for lunch.  When Poirot arrives he finds that a murder has been committed, but it seems almost as though it was a stage, a set with a story for him to discover.  In fact, there really has been a death and there seems to be great difficulty in tracking down the guilty party.

After many comings and goings - of course! - we realise we are being sent this way and that and that the whole case is a misdirection, we are being signed to look this way, then that and all the time we are being kept away from the real truth.

Eventually the mystery is solved in a somewhat ordinary fashion, it wasn't a let down, but it was a surprise!

The story was a classic Agatha Christie mystery and in a really good way.  I really enjoyed the book even though I was back and forth about "whodunit" and I would recommend it.

So, I give it a 9 out of 10 and I can report it will be going to the charity shop - see remarks above about space! - for someone else to enjoy.

Happy reading!

Amy

p.s. you can find my other book reviews here and other Agatha Christie book reviews here.

p.p.s. sorry this review is a little perfunctory and lacks a photo, I started the review, then gave the book away to charity before taking a photo or finishing the review so I didn't have the book to refer back to!  It was still a good book and I hope you will enjoy it.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I've only read a couple of her books. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Agaths Christi books I have recently re read 10 little niggers, it's been on my book shelf for years and it was written in the late 1920's, it's a great book and has whetted my appetite for her books again. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love her books. I told Hubby I would love to go on one of those mystery murder tours they have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an interesting read! I must admit to watching Agatha Christie adaptations on television, but haven't read a lot of the books. I have SO many books to read and not enough time lol. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen the tv version of this, but never read the book. Sounds like I should.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the book review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to enjoy watching Hercule Poirot on tv, gosh must be about 30 years ago now xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not read this one Amy, I've read 'The Clocks' a short while ago. I'm not sure who recommended that one. It was ok and I'd read it before years ago. Sometimes it's nice to re-read an Agatha Christie book and see if you can remember whilst solving it all again. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!! I'm also reading Agatha Christie...two weeks back I finished Sleeping murder...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx