Wednesday, 25 October 2017

Miss Marple's Final Cases - Reading My Books

I enjoy all of the Miss Marple books by Agatha Christie, but the ones that I like the most are the Miss Marple stories and of those, either watching the TV adaptations with Joan Hickson or listening to her read one of the stories on tape makes me happiest of all.  So to get to listen to Miss Marple's Final Cases on tape, read by the wonderful Joan Hickson was a real treat.


This tape contains six different mysteries, The man found dying in the church sanctuary, The puzzle of Uncle Henry's hidden legacy, The baffling mystery of the stabbing of Mrs Rhodes, The question of the murderer with the tape measure, The case of Miss Skinner's maid and The curious conduct of the caretaker.

All of the stories were well told and were interesting to listen to.  I worked most of them out - unusually for me! - but I am not sure if that is because I have read or listened to them in the past, or whether my powers of deduction are getting better!!  Regardless I still enjoyed them.  It was good to be able to listen to a short story while doing something else - winding wool mostly! - and to be able to complete it in a short period of time.

What also interested me was the way that the stories reflected many of the longer books written by Agatha Christie.  For example one of the stories was similar to that in the Hercule Poirot mystery Endless Night.  I wondered whether Christie drew inspiration from her other works, or whether these short stories were the inspiration for the longer ones.  A mystery that I doubt we will solve.

Regardless of that I enjoyed listening to the tape and as I already said, listening to the late Joan Hickson, who is for me the perfect Miss Marple, was lovely.

I give this a 10 out of 10, and sadly I have to return the tape to the person I borrowed it from, but if it was mine, I would certainly keep it and listen to it again!  Even if tapes are now considered to be ancient and some young people wouldn't even know what one was!

Amy

My other book reviews can be found here.

17 comments:

  1. I have read the 13 Problems, which is a collection of stories too, but as I read it I heard in my mind Joan Hickson reading the words, it was weird but enjoyable. Some of the those stories were recognisable too. I give 13 problems 10 our of 10 too

    Julie xxxxx

    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where would the detective novel be without Agatha Christie? Didn't she more or less invent the genre as we know it - even if Wilkie Collins kind of got there first? Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What was I thinking! Well, never do anything in a hurry is my motto and I do apologise. I have just re-read my comment, to many too's and the grammar is atrocious!

    Juiie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy Miss Marple too Amy, and loved the old 60s movies starring Margaret Rutherford. So much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to hear stories, Years ago I enrolled Rebecca in the Listening book scheme, mainly to help with the books for English lit. being dyslexic they brought the written words for her to enjoy without struggling.xcx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this. I love listening to audio books. This past week I've watched two old movies that Joan Hickson is in. She was very young and it took me a minute to recognize her as a young woman. Enjoy your day. Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sometimes enjoy a good audio book. It makes a nice change to listen to something different while crafting or doing housework. I must admit I don't have a tape player anymore - I usually listen to them on CD or on my Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read Christie in years. I loved her books when I was a teenager. It would be fun to read her again -- especially as an audiobook. Perfect listening for knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've to search it in library..

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's good to be able to listen to an audio book and do something else at the same time. For me it's ironing! I recently bought a new radio/cd/tape player which is useful for listening to my collection of old tapes. Joan Hickson's Miss Marple is my favourite interpretation of the character too. I can even hear her voice in my head right now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amy, it's been ages since I've listened to a book on tape - I must try it again! And, coincidentally, I've really been in the mood for Miss Marple this past month. I really must look into this. I think our local library might have the tapes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, I'm a huge Agatha Christy fan too! Poirot and Miss Marple are my favorite! I can read the books and watch the TV adaptations over and over. But I also greatly enjoyed reading Agatha Christy's autobiography!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello dearest Amy! Been thinking about you and hope all is well. ;) I love all the reading you've been accomplishing!! I'm finally getting back to more reading myself. Getting to be the perfect cozy season for it around here. I"m reading the Louise Penny mystery series right now. Pretty good if you ever want to check them out.
    Blessings and sending lots of hugs too. xoox

    ReplyDelete
  14. Joan Hickson is the perfect Miss Marple for me, too. The Best Beloved and I often say to each other, "I've been so stupid!" with her intonation, she's just fab. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sitting down with a tape recording of a book sounds like a comforting thing to do. Glad you enjoyed your tapes ... maybe your friend would consider passing it along to you for good?
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahhh, Miss Marple. :) I like the BBC video tapes of her stories and almost never guess who is guilty, but I have yet to read the Christie books or listen to them either. Thanks for sharing your reviews and in general for keeping in touch. I so enjoy getting to know you through your posts and podcasts. Wishing you well xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love Agatha Christie!!!
    I'm a new follower on your blog, can you follow mine?
    https://amoriemeraviglie.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx