Monday, 24 April 2017

A bag for walking

You might remember that a couple of months ago I joined a walking group.  Well, I am loving it!  We have been through the woods on more than one occasion and I have noticed the leaves coming out on the trees and things sprouting here and there.  We have seen baby lambs - just newborn! - little calves, geese, an alpaca - or a llama I can never tell the difference - horses, bluebells, daffodils, crocuses and a hundred other wonders of nature.

I have and am loving it!  I am even working up to going on the "long" walk which is a little intimidating as apparently they go faster and further, but I will get there!

To start with I was really nervous of talking to people, but it has got easier each week and encouraged me to keep going.

There has been one little thorn in the side of this walking.  It isn't my new waterproof coat which is bright orange and a little embarrassing.  It isn't my 20 plus year old walking boots which are still going strong.  It hasn't been my appalling lack of fitness or my shyness either.

No, much sillier than any of those things.  Despite the fact that I have lots of handbags and a rucksack, shopping bags, a bag for my walking boots, suitcases and many other pieces of luggage I didn't have a bag suitable for dropping my phone and keys into to take walking.  So each week I have been stuffing my pockets full of things.  Which has been OK, but the weather is getting warmer now so I will not need to wear my bright orange coat - without suffocating in the heat! - and I needed something to stow my stuff in.  I also needed a bag that weighed as little as possible as I don't want to be carrying any extra weight!

Of course I could have bought a bag, but you know me, I am a maker of things and I had all of this fabric and a perfectly good sewing machine.  Surely I could fashion something for myself.

So eventually I made this!  Ta Dah!  One walking bag.  No, not a bag that walks, a bag for taking on walks!


It fits in all of my stuff and I can even roll up my walking coat and ram it in there if it gets to hot to wear to walk in it.  It weighs nothing other than the weight of what is inside, is waterproof and was free!  You cannot get better than that can you.

I used a panel of fabric that came in a kit to make an apron - I didn't need another apron! - and to make it waterproof a really cheap shower curtain that I had bought for a couple of pounds because I needed the rings for the curtain that came with it, but not the actual curtain.


The apron panel kit thing came with enough of the blue fabric to make a front and back and then the yellow piece which was meant to be a pocket.  I used that to make a flap to go over the top so that if I really stuff the bag full the opening will be covered and remain waterproof.


I fashioned two little tabs on either side to pass the drawstring/straps through and used some more of the yellow fabric to make a channel at the top for the drawstring.



You can see above how I fixed the flap on to the back of the bag and you can see the white which is the shower curtain that I used to like everything to make it waterproof.

Inside I just left the seams showing.  I could have hidden them or made French seams, but I didn't feel the need.  This bag is just for me and as long as it keeps my phone and keys and tissues and lip balm and gloves and, well you get the point, dry that is all I need.


So there you have it!  My new walking bag that will hold all of that stuff and enable me to keep on with the walking that I am enjoying so much.  Plus I used up some more of the stuff in my house for a practical purpose, so that has to be good right!

What have you been making or sewing recently?

Amy

p.s. linking with Julie for sew, stitch, snap, share - thank you for hosting Julie!

47 comments:

  1. Looks fab, glad to hear the walking is going well x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great, enjoy your walking. I think it's great you've joined a walking group. We're trying to go walking once a week but didn't manage it this week. Even if it's only a walk round the village, it's nice to walk and chat.
    Have a good week. Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Certainly more eye catching than the boring old bum bag that I use! Happy walking x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great Amy. Perfect for its purpose. I don't like to be without my lip balm either.
    It's good to read you're really enjoying the walking group, it's more fun doing something you enjoy with like minded people. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a fabulous useful make Amy - do love the fabric and neat that the walking group is going so well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thrilled to hear the walking is going well, well done you for having the courage to start something new. Love the bag, such a great idea to use a shower curtain for the lining.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Amy
    What a perfect bag for your walking essentials (and so much nicer to have been able to make it yourself!)
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your bag but I am more excited that you love walking with your new group. Your sewing machine work is very accurate, you may notice I don't often show the insides of my projects!! Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your walking group sounds lovely, so glad you're enjouying it. You are clever making that lovely bag, what a good idea xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Smart! I want to see the 20 year old boots, please!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've made a great job of your bag Amy...very resourceful to repurpose the shower curtain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks really great and so useful. Glad you're enjoying all the walking, it can only get better and better as the weather improves. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks great! And it is nice to hear that you are enjoying the walking group. Walking has always been my favourite exercise.
    Have a great week,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  14. How super that you made it instead of buying it. Glad you're enjoying the walking group, it's good for mind, body and spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic! It looks lovely too, what a great idea. So pleased the walking group is working out well xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not working on anything at the moment. I'm in between projects. Your bag turned out very nice and quite practical too. A walking group sounds like a lot of fun. Glad you're enjoying it.
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your creativity . and commitment to walking!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You know when you were explaining what you needed in the beginning, I was thinking of the lightweight backpacks that my kids used to get from promotions of colleges, etc. It is exactly the style that you have created! Good for you Amy at making this up. It suits your need perfectly. I have a few things that I want to work on now that my weekends have freed up :[ Remaking a tote bag that I made for my mom is one of them. I'm too short and the bag hits the ground when I carry it, so I want to shorten it up so that I can use it. Glad you're liking the walking group more and more. You should go on one of the longer walks. I doubt they walk that much faster on them ... once you start walking you all settle into a set pace (and that's probably the same pace they set on the short walks). I'm sure you could do it easily :) Enjoy!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Amy, how creative of you to make your own and do it with such style!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brilliant Amy, and so great you have found a walking group. Isn't it great.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great bag Amy! I never would have thought to use shower curtains ..... brilliant idea!
    Glad you are enjoying your walking group!
    Oh, beware, I think you are right starting on small walks as I know for a fact some rambling groups can easily do a distance of 12 miles or so in one walk, and in order to do that they can set a pretty mean pace. You are there to enjoy yourself, build it up slowly, and keep enjoying your walks!
    Hugs,
    Barbara x

    ReplyDelete
  22. A pretty, practical bag, perfect for your walks. It's lovely Amy and I'm sure it will be useful, probably for other occasions too. I have a similar one, almost the same shape, I made for the back of my wheelchair. I am so glad you are enjoying the walking group and good luck with your longer expedition.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well done both on sticking with the walking & fashioning yourself a handy "walking" bag. I love what you are seeing & llama's have longer, straighter wool & much larger,pointier ears than alpacas. Were they in with the sheep, as they make good guards to prevent foxes attacking wee lambs?
    We are just starting to need our coats for walking as it is cooling (a little) & we've just had some much needed rain. It's raining again now, so I expect the Dawn Service here in Victoria was rather wet. Maybe not elsewhere in Oz though. Have a good week & take care.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So glad you are enjoying your walking group. You put your skills to work nicely to make a great walking bag. Enjoy...

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's so wonderful that you took to the walking group right away and have continued to participate. I think your walking bag is inspired...just what you need and you created it yourself. Can you feel yourself getting stronger and stronger?

    ReplyDelete
  26. cool bag.. in fact I'm also thinking of making this kind of bag..

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the bag you made and how cool that you joined a walking group!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Is there anything cuter than baby lambs??? (Well, MAYBE kittens, but lambs are mighty CUTE!)

    Your walking bag is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You clever thing! Love the pattern. How satisfying to know that you have made just the thing you need.
    Happy walking!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Amy, What a pretty and efficient bag you've made for your walks! I'm so impressed with people who can sew well, as my sewing skills are very limited. Your walking group sounds like good fun; I'd love to participate in something like that, but I don't think there are many of those groups around here. That's a great way to meet new people and get more physically fit at the same time.

    I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who can't tell the difference between alpacas and llamas. ;D Have a wonderful week, Amy!

    Hugs,

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  31. Making something rather than purchasing it is so much more satisfying. Your walking bag looks like it will suit the purpose wonderfully. So glad you are continuing with the walking group. There's nothing like getting out into fresh air (rain or shine) to make one feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congrats on the walking! I should do something like that.. :-) Love the bag you made, it's very creative! We're at the beach for the week! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am SO glad you're enjoying your walking club. I wish there was something like that around here. I am lucky that hubby likes walking, but he's still working, so our walks are only on weekends. We're seeing some fabulous sights though and, like you, I'm really enjoying seeing the changes that come with the new season.

    Lovely bag you've created! I'm having a similar problem. I have been carrying a camera bag but mostly I put my spare lens in my coat pocket, but am finding sometimes I don't need one. I want something small enough just to carry my lens and maybe the camera. I have a couple of camera bags but they are quite bulky. Hubby has something that might work though.

    Happy Walking!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Pleased to hear that you are enjoying your walking group. The bag looks just right for carrying the few items you need whilst walking especially in the warmer weather when you discard your coat with all its pockets:)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm glad that you are enjoying your walking group Amy, it's great fun to try a new venture like this a little intimidating at first but you feel so much better for doing it more healthy because of the exercise and happier because of the interaction with others, I'm doing the same right now with the U3A. I love your bag you clever thing it looks great you will probably be getting orders from the other walkers before long. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Clever girl - that's fab on all levels! I am glad that you are enjoying the walking group so much. x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Now that is a good idea. Like the shower curtain lining too!! Spring sounds like a beautiful time to walk in your part of the world. How far do you walk with them? Thanks for linking up to Sew, Stitch, Snap, Share.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh you are one clever genius my Amy! ;) That is just brilliant and will work perfectly I'm sure!! I'm so happy you're continuing to like your walking group. Such a healthy thing, but also fun to meet new folks and challenge yourself. Keep up the great work Girlie!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  39. I am so glad that you're enjoying your walking group! You are so clever and talented to come up with and make that walking bag. I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Good to hear the walking group membership turned out well on all sorts of levels. And you did a brilliant job with the bag.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Yay for successful walking, Amy, and a lovely practical new bag to carry along...so clever of you to use the shower curtain to waterproof the bag! I finally finished a single crochet cotton pocket for my cell phone and put a photo of it in my last post. I used some bargain yarn I had in my stash...a tiny bit of stash busting :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  42. Such a cute and clever bag, Amy! I'm so glad to hear your walking group has been a good experience. Sounds like fun and so healthy, too. xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  43. That looks like a really useful bag. I have a lovely back pack made of ripstop nylon. It weighs next to nothing and has loads of useful pouches. Far better than a big heavy lump of a bag

    ReplyDelete
  44. No doubt about it, you are a clever crafter and designer Amy. The walking group sounds like a great idea, and I'm glad you are enjoying it so much. I always have issues carrying my needs while walking, especially in our hot weather when coats or even sleeves are too hot. Even finding pants with pockets is not always easy these days when tight slender pants are everywhere. I have even resorted to adding pockets myself.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Amy, you are very resourceful. Cute and practical bad you designed I would love a walking group. That's a great way to enjoy socializing and exercise, too.

    ReplyDelete
  46. what a great idea, and a brilliant design! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx