Tuesday, 28 February 2017

Yummy Pancakes

Today is Shrove Tuesday, also called Pancake Day!

This is the day when we traditionally make pancakes to use up all of the good things to eat before we start the period of symbolic fasting that is Lent.  These days the fasting takes the form of "giving up" things like sweets or cake.  In centuries past it would have been a much more serious fast, eating meat would have been forbidden during Lent for example.

"English" pancakes are more like crepes than American pancakes which tend to be fatter and fluffier.


I have eaten up all of my Christmas chocolates and most other sweets, I have just a few sweets left to finish up today and then I will be giving them up for Lent.  I am also trying not to eat any biscuits or cake.  There will be an exception for Birthday Cake though!

If you want to try and make English Pancakes today here is the recipe.  Also converted into cups.

250 g Plain Flour (2 Cups All Purpose Flour)
600 ml Semi Skimmed Milk (2.5 Cups 2% Milk)
2 Large Eggs
Pinch of salt

Mix well together in a large bowl.  Allow to sit for as long as you can bear - at least an hour, but can go all day in the fridge.

Heat a frying pan until very hot, melt a small knob of butter into the pan, swirl around the pan.  Add a small amount of batter to the pan - approximately a quarter of a cup - and swirl until the base of the pan is covered in a thin layer of batter.  You can always add a little more if there are any large holes.


You can see just how thin it is.

Allow to cook over medium high heat until you see that the top looks dry and the edges start to lift away from the pan.  Take a spatula and ease the edge all the way round and shake the pan to loosen the pancake.  The first side should be a light golden brown all over or in places.  I then turn the pancake using the spatula, but if you are feeling brave you can toss the pancake.


This is what the first side will look like.

Allow to cook for a moment on the other side until it starts to have golden brown spots.


This is what the second side will look like.

Remove from the pan and either serve immediately, or put on a plate in a warm oven and continue cooking until they are all done and then serve them all together.


Serve traditionally with lemon juice and sugar sprinkled liberally over each one and then roll them up into a tube.



The first pancake will inevitably not be very good.  That is OK, it is the cooks perk - they get to eat it as well as their own share!  So if your first one looks like this don't worry.  Just eat it up quickly before anyone else notices!


In a large frying pan this makes about 11 pancakes, but would make more if you used a smaller pan of course.  You can also halve the recipe to make less pancakes very successfully.

I hope that you will enjoy some pancakes today before the start of Lent.

Amy

31 comments:

  1. You make and serve your yummy pancakes exactly as I do Amy. You even mention cook's perks, except in my kitchen this phrase has transmogrified into "perker's chops", thanks to my then two-year-old son. Happy Pancake Day. (I made an orange and almond cake yesterday - oops!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Shrove Tuesday Amy and enjoy your pancakes I must make one or two or perhaps even three haha :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh they look so delicious!! I may have to make a gluten free version for myself later :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Amy, yes, I made pancakes today, and we had a right old feast of them. I love the lemon and sugar combination, and also tried honey and HB had jam. We only have them once a year on Shrove Tuesday and do enjoy ourselves. Fun to know you two are doing the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum - really looking forward to pancakes tonight! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look so good Amy. I remember that was how my mum used to make them. They were always served up with lemon and sugar too. Have a lovely day. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love pancakes. Mum always used to make them and had with lemon and sugar. Yum! Not a great fan of American Pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. they look delicious-great tutorial-thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do like crepes, had chocolate crepes in France once.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We make our pancakes exactly as you do Amy and will be making some later today, the only difference is that we use orange rather than lemon juice. Have a wonderful Shrove Tuesday:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look just like our blintzes (Russian pancakes) and the first one is always the tricky one. We roll them up with a sweetened ricotta or farmers cheese and bake them in half and half and butter. Double trouble :)
    Yours look great Amy. They also look similar Dear's Swedish pancakes. Happy Shrove Tuesday/ Fat Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look yummy - we always made the slightly fatter ones - drop scones I suppose - same recipe with slightly less milk and they work really well with gluten free flour, using self raising instead of plain. Happy Pancake Tuesday Amy and good luck for Lent.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! Pancakes here too Amy!! ;) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made pancakes today too but I prefer the fluffier American style ones & lots of chocolate hazelnut spread!
    You made great pancakes too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! We've just eaten ours too, so tasty. I always mean to make more during the year but never get round to it. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes I have just made pancakes and as usual have over eaten making too much batter and then not wanting to waste it. Yours look scrumptious, we love them with a little sugar and lemon too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pancakes have been enjoyed here this evening. Don't you just love them.
    No lemon on mine thought thanks!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  18. What is it with the first pancake? So very true that the first one never looks quite right.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wish I'd visited here before I made mine. Yours look so much better and you have some good tips. That said, my rubbery offerings were slightly better than normal, and Violet scoffed three after school! Three! That's quite amazing.

    I'm giving up meat for lent. Purely selfish, I'm hoping it'll kick start healthy eating and a bit of weight loss, but I'm thinking The Big Fella in the clouds will be impressed and not think it's because I'm totally selfish! ;o) xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooh, I forgot all about it and now I'm too full to eat any! Yours look so scrummy xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look good, Amy, and lend themselves to all sorts of delicious syrups or stuffings, I imagine. I haven't made pancakes or crepes in a long while - but now I have a craving......x K

    ReplyDelete
  22. Made and served the same as I do, although it was too hot here yesterday to be eating dessert, either warm or cold. My perk is lemons from our own tree. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your pancakes look scrummy! I don't eat many sweet things and I like to give up something I enjoy every day for Lent: for a couple of years it was bread, then it was tea, which was really hard! This year I have a lot on my plate spiritually and have decided that my priority is to wrestle with that so instead of adding to my difficulties by giving something up for Lent, I shall instead participate in one of the daily photo challenges online. I am quite daunted by the prospect! Well done on giving up the sweet stuff. x

    ReplyDelete
  24. They look delicious my friend. Hope you are doing well Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Will be making ours shortly, American style with lots of butter and real maple syrup! Yours look interesting so will give them a try! ~ Karen in Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  26. That looks like my kind of pancake Amy...wonderful! you've made me feel like I'm starving.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh rats, pancake day came and went here without even a small toss! Good luck for your Lent fasting, I need to do the same :)
    Happy Wednesday!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Definately going to give your pancakes a whirl.
    Canadian pancakes are more like the American pancakes. Always have to have real Canadian Maple Syrup served with them.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your pancakes look delicious Amy and make me feel quite hungry, even though I have only just had breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  30. THANK YOU! I've been wanting to make crepes for two years. My friend and I had them in Vegas and I said I was going to learn to make them. Well, life got in the way and I forgot...but now...I remembered! And I'm gonna give it a try. Oh...yea....these are not pancakes! Teehee!!!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx