Wednesday, 8 February 2017

Crochet Hats

I have crocheted a couple of hats in my time.  One of which didn't really work at all, and the other, made more recently which has worked very well and which I have enjoyed wearing - I will share it in another post coming up.

So when the call went out from Teresa for baby hats for a charitable cause I thought I would have a go.  I have never made a baby hat before, and never having had a baby, I wasn't really sure what size they needed to be and the ones I made to Teresa's pattern didn't seem to be totally right for my tension so I did a couple of those and then varied them in my own way!

This is what I ended up with.  I hope they will be of use and that at least some of them will be the right size for someone.


There were several good things about these hats.  Quite a few good things actually. 

Really fast to make up - it almost seemed as though it took longer to sew the ends in than to crochet them.  They are for a really good cause.  I got to use up more odds and ends of yarn - still lots left even after making my Happy Scrappy Squares Blanket.  A good quick "win" for getting something completed.  Fun to learn a new skill and a new make as I tried out some new to me stitches for the edges of the blue hats.  That is a lot of good from a few hats isn't it. 

Most of all though I really do hope they are of benefit to the recipients, I crocheted in a lot of good thoughts when I was making them so I hope that is received by whoever wears them.  That is what is important.


There are actually six hats, but I have a couple of photos of some of them to try and give a different view.  My vase didn't make a very good hat model though!


I thought the stripes made this one fancy enough!  No need for any special edges here.


This one looks as though it has a flat edge and is slightly odd when flat, but you can see that when it is hat shaped the border looks very nice.  I think this is called Sedge Stitch, I learned it from fellow lovely crocheter Jo at Three Stories High.  Thank you for that Jo!  She used the stitch to edge a cowl.




I love this little pink one, I just hope that it is big enough for someones head!



This little one is tiny too.  I have asked Teresa to pass them on for any preemie babies if they are not suitable for what she is collecting hats for.


This little blue one is edged in Crab Stitch which I also learned recently from Jacquie at Bunny Mummy where she used it to edge a blanket.


If you are interested in learning more of these new stitches - as I was! - let me know and I will try and do some photo tutorials to share with you what I did.  It is so nice to be able to edge something in a pretty way and it definitely makes a difference to the finished item.

I cannot share the basic hat pattern as that is Teresa's, but I can share the edges!


So that is it!  Lots of little hats, off to keep babies and children warm - I hope! - and a great way to try something new and to give back a little to others.  This year I really want to try and do more for others, it is nice to be thinking outside the box for once and I want to do more of that!


Happy hat making everyone and I hope you will enjoy whatever you are making.

Amy

38 comments:

  1. These are so precious, Amy! How kind of you to make them! I can picture them on some sweet little babies who need all the cuddly warmth they can get. I love the colors and pretty stitches. Hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely so pretty and yet practical too. They will keep some precious little heads warm, I'm sure:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful way to give back to the community whilst learning & using scraps. Well done & I'll be interested to see some of those edgings. Just done a "frill" on my shawl & that was new to me. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're gorgeous Amy. I love your idea of doing more for others. I've been thinking about that a lot myself recently. Time to put my thinking into actions now. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are lovely Amy, what a great way to stash bust for charity, you've made a great job of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're so talented Amy and I love the variety of bright colors for the drab days of winter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are lovely Amy and I am sure will be well received. Beautiful edges, nice to see something a little different and always good to learn a new stitch. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cute :) I and other ladies in my Monday knitting group are currently knitting hats which will be passed on to a friend of one of the ladies who will be delivering to those who need them in Nepal, following the earthquake there in 2015

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a precious beautiful gift... To think of the little child who will wear it and be warmed by the work of your hands! How special!

    Blessings!!! Net
    itsawonderfulmovie.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautiful!! Enjoy your day :-)

    Blessings
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  11. They're so sweet. I've only ever crocheted a hat for me, it turned out a bit big, but wearable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was thinking I would pick purples as my fave ... but then I saw the magenta pink ... that is lovely too. gorgeous work my friend!! you have amazing skilled fingers!! ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  13. each time we choose a hat for a NICU baby it was great fun. They look so adorable on sickly little ones. Families took them home with them upon discharge as a keepsake that their baby grew out of. I love the thought and charity behind them

    ReplyDelete
  14. They're lovely - I am sure they will give much joy and warmth :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely thing for you to do Amy! And they're are just the sweetest!! I absolutely love the colors and adorable patterns. Great job! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such beautiful little hats. There will be some thrilled parents x

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are so cute. Love the ones with the scallop design. I'm really close to finishing a blanket and hoping to have a ta-dah moment soon - it's been a long time coming! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amy they look fab, I love your colour choices, and how lovely to crochet good thoughts into them too :)
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the colours . Great job . Thanks for sharing , have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sweet hats and I'm sure there will be several heads just the right size for each of them!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You did a beautiful job on the hats Amy. I love the colours you chose. There will be some lucky children out there and how nice for you to send sweet thoughts with them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those hats are adorable and what a thoughtful thing to do. I love the crab stitch. I used it on a blanket border too. Great job on all of the hats. Love the colors.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  23. A great collection of hats and for a very worthy cause. I am trying to stretch my crocheting to learn new stitches.

    Angela - Garden Tea Cakes and Me

    ReplyDelete
  24. Precious little hats, Amy! You do such beautiful work. And, for a good cause! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  25. so many sweet hats!!.. I crocheted one hooded scarf ,but it didn't turn out good.. so I decided to make something from that yarn..

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great hats Amy, crab stitch is my favourite edging it finishes the project off perfectly. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a lovely thing to do, beautiful little hats xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. They are all so cute! I love the colors you chose, and I know someone will be blessed by them.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You are so lovely to make those hats for Teresa. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Amy, the hats are all so sweet. I especially like the pink and blue ones. And you're right, they're bound to fit someone because babies come in premie size to. One year I knit hats for nearly everyone in the family. My SIL has a fairly large head, but I guessed at the size needed. When he put it on, it slid down over his eyes. It was huge on him.The memory of that still makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  31. These are lovely, Amy! Enjoy the weekend.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  32. They are so beautiful, Amy!
    There will be many satisfied babies and happy young parents soon.
    Have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. A wonderful selection of hats I wish I could crochet! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sedge stitch is fun isn't it. Thanks for the shout out. I love all your hats and it is a great feeling to knit or crochet for others. I am making boys jumpers at the moment - I know boys! - I have had a request from a friend of a friend, all goo fun and uses up bits of stash. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is what's good about blogland. You have done a wonderful thing by making these hats and you made them using the talent others have generously shared.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx