Sunday, 1 January 2017

New Year, new things

First of all let me start by wishing you a great big happy, loving and with great kindness welcome to 2017!!!!  I hope that it brings all of us great things.  Not great amounts of money or possessions, but great amounts of love, happiness, joy and kindness.  Those kind of things!

Many bloggers will be sharing their resolutions, the changes they are planning.  Or the goals they hope to achieve, a list of crafts they want to complete.  Others will be sharing their word or phrase for the year.

I have joined in with those things in the past, not just to join in, but because they are the sorts of things I do anyway.  I will be sharing more about "resolutions" in a few paragraphs time and in then more in the coming weeks.  Not so much the "I will eat less biscuits" kind of resolution, more the "what will make me happier, and how can I achieve that" kind of resolution.  My thoughts are still in progress though so I don't want to jump in right now and start telling you too much about that until I have done some more thinking.

As for crafting goals, last year I believe that I shared a long list of things at the start of the year.  I don't know what I have completed or haven't, but I will dig out the list and the results in the coming weeks and give you an update.  Then I will think about this year once I know how much I didn't do last year!

Turning to the word for the year, I don't have one of those just yet either.  So far so unorganised!!!  Last year I think I started with Onwards and Upwards and then at some point I think I added Positive Stronger to that.  I have tried to keep going onwards and staying positive and stronger.  It hasn't worked out that way for me though and I have to say that I ended the year in a far worse place than it started.  I will not labour on with all that happened as you have had glimpses enough to get the idea.  The difficult times are going to be with us for at least a couple more months while we have a house sale - Man's, not ours - to deal with as well as another matter to do with Man that I know for a fact will not be resolved for at least a month.  So I don't see a clearer time ahead right now.

What I do see though is a determination to keep on keeping on and not to give up.  A lot of things haven't worked out well for me in 2017 both personally and in my little business working for myself.  that doesn't mean that I am going to give up though.  I don't know that onwards, upwards, positive, stronger is going to work for me in 2017, but I will keep trying to be and do all of those things.

I wonder if perhaps Change is the right word for me as there are a lot of things that I want to change.  Nice is another possibility!  We will see.  I hope that as I take time to formulate things a word or phrase or just a "way" will present itself to me as a way of summarising how I hope the year will work out.

I do also just want to take a moment to go back to talk about resolutions.  I often read or hear people saying that they don't believe in resolutions, and that if you want to do something you should just get on and do it.  While that is of course the case for many things and cannot be argued with, if you want the washing up done just do it right now for example, it isn't always as easy or straightforward as that though.  Sometimes New Year is the right time for resolutions.

I literally haven't had time to sit down on many days for the last few months, let alone have time to think about making, let alone to make any changes.  Just to keep going from one day to the next in any fashion has been all I could manage most of the time.  So yes, I am going to make resolutions, New Year ones at that!  It is a good point for me to be doing it.  Christmas hasn't been a relaxing time for us and I don't see any relaxing for quite some time now, what it has allowed though is a little break from family being hostile towards us and attacking us, even though they did carry on attacking us over Christmas being quite so busy to allow me to feel that I can start again in January.  So start again I will.

Sometimes it is about having a point to make a break with the past and a fixed point where you can put the past behind you as a whole thing and move on to a new future.  Much does stay the same, and much cannot be changed no matter how much I want it to be, however, I can see today as a new point and a place at which I can leave what happened last year and move on to working out what will be right for me in 2017.

So for now I leave you with this thought.  Today is a new day, a new beginning.  Whether you resolve anything or not, have a word for the year or a list of crafting goals, each day is a new start and each new year is a bigger new start.  So leave yesterday in 2016 and begin again with a new outlook today in 2017 with the hope that it will be better!

Be kind to one another and in fact be just a little kinder than you need to be and very soon the world will be a much better place tomorrow than it was today.

Happy New Year!!!

Amy

42 comments:

  1. Happy new year Amy, I hope that once you work your way through the current difficulties a brighter year emerges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year Amy, may it be kinder to you than 2016 and may those ripples of kindness spread hope through the world x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year. I hope it's one full of smiles and good health.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my dear, I'm sorry you're still in the thick of it. Sometimes life just chucks this stuff at us and all you can do is keep going, keep putting one foot in front of the other and try and count the blessings while not letting the grim stuff get you down. I do think things happen for a reason and you'll emerge hopefully in a better place in the long run. Keep your chin up and don't stop being you. Happy new year xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moment by moment, day by day, with intent, acceptance and gratitude. That's what I'm aiming for. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your blog friendship dear Amy. May there be many blessings in your life during this new year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It always feels like a nice clean slate, doesn't it? I imagine that you will surprise yourself with all the things you have accomplished in 2016. You certainly have a lot on your plate. Many blessings in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't make resolutions as such, more goals or things I'd like to do. I certainly hope 2017 brings some peace to your life. You've had so much going on lately it would be nice for things to settle down. Hopefully you can get those toxic people from your life.

    I want to take time to thank you for your blog last year. I really enjoyed reading it and watching your podcast. I hope things settle down for you and you can get back to what makes you at peace and happy. All the best

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope this year will be kinder to you in all areas of your life. Wishing you a happy, healthy and peaceful new year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good post Amy, you have had such a difficult year, I hope that eventually life will return to normal for you. Having aging family members is difficult enough without other family members being complete jerks, I believe in Karma and eventually they'll pay for what they've done.
    A Happy New Year to you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Be kind to each other and be kind to ourselves. Happy new year Amy! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The best to you in this new year Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Amy, a very happy new year to you. I'm sorry you are having such a tough time but you will come through it stronger I'm sure. I especially appreciated what you said about having a fixed point to make a break with the past and move on. I have been very guilty of dwelling in guilt and failure this past year but there comes a point when even I have to say enough and for me that came last night and I have started this new year feeling much more optimistic about the future and lighter in my heart and soul. Most of my crafting has been distraction therapy so I am amazed at how much I have accomplished. I really should write a post about it! Looking forward to seeing more of your lovely crochet Amy, and remember nobody can accuse us of not trying!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wishing you and your husband a Happy New Year. I'm sorry about all the unpleasantness and you having to see through stuff so can't avoid it. May 2017 become happier for you both in time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amy, wishing you some inner peace and strength to get through these difficult times. Hopefully 2017 will be a good year for you, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've had a very difficult year I think Amy, but it's inspiring to hear your determination. Positive, stronger and upwards are such great words. It is as you say a new beginning. I am wishing you and yours a very Happy New Year and I do so hope that 2017 is kind to you. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wishing you peace and joy as this new year unfolds! Hoping for brighter skies after the storms have passed. Funny, I just finished a post about my Word for the Year. Whatever word you choose, embrace it and make it your own :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope that 2017 is a far better year for you and your family Amy, my only resolutions are to declutter and try to get organised but usually the more I try the more disorganized I become haha one step at a time for all of us I think. Hugs to you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good luck in 2017, hope it is a much better year for you. At least some issues have been progressed even if they are not fully sorted. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy new year Amy.
    I hope 2017 bring you a much better year. So good to hear you had a relaxing Christmas, it was definitely what you deserved.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy New Year Amy. I don't make resolutions, but set myself achievable goals & although I don't think I get much done, this keeping a blog, makes me realise that, yes, I have actually done a few, so take a look at your posts & you'll see that too. I know (& all your followers too), just what you've posted about has amounted to lots, even dealing with your family problems. We all encounter different phases of difficulties through the years, and this makes us the person we are. You are kind and caring & it shows in thoughtful posts & you are also clever in tackling new crafts etc., so just don't put "unachievable" in your Resolution list. Take care & huggles.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well done Amy. To each his own as they say. I am with you on trying to move on. I will have a word, or a sentence, it helps me stay of focus. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy New Year - I hope the issues work their way out quickly and smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy New Year Amy and wishing you good health, happiness and peace for 2017.
    I always find a new year and a new start is a great thing.
    Warm wishes
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy New Year Amy! I'm so sorry about the family issues. We've had a few too and it's not easy... Hoping for better things in the next year.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy New Year Amy. I hope all goes well for you and your family in 2017.
    The last paragraph of your post is so true and well worth remembering.
    Oh, my word for 2017 is 'simplify'.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy New Year Amy. Hope 2017 is filled with peace and joy for you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy New Year Amy and I do hope that your family will stop their attacks and hostility. I do understand how that feels since that has been happening to us for years and years. We have finally given up on trying to "fix" things that others have made a mess of. (((((HUGS))))

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wishing you all the best for 2017 Amy and hope that life gets easier for you. x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy New Year, Amy.
    Family issues are exhausting.
    I empathize with you.
    Blessings for peaceful days ahead. : )

    ReplyDelete
  31. I don't do lists of goals or words for the year or anything but like you, 2016 wasn't good for us, and we went from things going fantastically to bad new after bad news and everything going wrong, on top of some illness as well so I'm just hoping that things go to plan this year!

    Wishing you a very happy new year and hope their is lots of happiness for you.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sorry to hear about the ongoing family issues; have those myself. But I'm sure that's pretty much true for most of us. All we can do is to take one day at a time and live our own lives with love and kindness. Blessings to you in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wishing you a much happier 2017 Amy. Hopefully life will improve. B x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sincerely wishing you a happy new year Amy! I am inspired by your determination and courage to keep pressing on!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Let's hope that the changes that you can bring in your life will make you feel more positive, settled and determined. (A few words there :D ) Have a wonderful 2017 xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for posting, Amy. I am sorry you are having to cope with disapproving family members and hope and pray that as you continue to lovingly live and build your home as you are, that you will be encouraged. Investing in love is making the world a better place. Thank you! I am cheering you on and trying to decide on a word to focus on this year...I think it is "thanksgiving." xx

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Amy, I am sad that you had had so many difficulties at once, and especially when families are involved. Families are families, they are what they are, and there's only so much that you can change. You can't change other people's behaviour or attitudes but you can make your own changes to improve your own situation, even if they are only little things to begin. When your health is affected, it is important to make your own wellbeing a priority because that will help you cope with all of the other pressures.
    I am hoping that 2017 will bring more positive changes and some good luck your way too. A new year, a new beginning, sounds good to me! Take care xxx

    ReplyDelete
  38. Amy, what an inspiring and uplifting New Year's post this is. You are right, resolutions aren't right for everyone, but sometimes they're just what you need. I see from your more recent post that things are very difficult at the moment and please know that you are in my thoughts, as I'm sure you are in many other's too. Take care of yourself. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx