Friday, 2 December 2016

Five On Friday

Hello!  It is so good to be here with Five things to share with you on a Friday!!  Yay!!!!!  Can you tell that I am pleased to be here.  Oh yes, I am!!!

Just in case you aren't sure, or were not aware, I have changed the way that Five On Friday works a little bit.  Read my post here for more information.  There is also a link up post, you can find that by clicking here and there will be a link at the bottom of this post too.  This post is just my entry for Five On Friday, in the same way as you write and link yours.

So, off we go with my post.

One

No Christmas decorations up yet, but I did get the autumn/Halloween things down and put away.  This little bowl of decorations is on the shelf in my office.  I bought these as my new things for this year.  I always get a couple of new decorations and this year I apparently chose four, and then bought another two - the little birds.



Two

My desk keeps slipping into a parallel universe of mess.  Every time I tidy it up - daily - less than half an hour it is covered in stuff again.  I keep find myself on the phone shovelling things on or off of the desk or floor (is that a floordesk?) while balancing the phone and trying to keep my laptop on the desk looking for whatever I need to talk about.

To be fair my desk is only small, I would measure it but my tape measure is buried.  As you will see below, a quarter of the desk is taken up by my laptop and another quarter by my fan.  Oh, and yes, I know that it is now technically winter  but I need the fan.  Hot flushes.  Nuff said.

I also need a bigger desk.  Or better organisation.  Or a way to stop that time slip dumping mess everywhere!

If mess makes you queasy, don't look at this picture.  This is how I found my desk on Tuesday morning.  It was clear on Sunday.


Three

This is my knitting - with teeny tiny sock yarn!  I using tiny yarn and tiny needles.  Then I realised that my tension was so tight I would never be able to carry on knitting, let alone use what I was knitting.  It was stiff as a board.  I wasn't knitting a board.  I was trying to make a sock.

For now the socks are on hold until I can work out how to knit them without getting ladders on the sides.  So far DPN's have been my best bet, but my needle size was too small.  I have tried DPN's, magic loop and teeny tiny circulars.  My needle investment has been large, despite the tiny size of the needles and yarn.  My plan is to knit up this ball of yarn to make a very narrow (because I hope that will make it long enough to use) scarf of sorts and then I will start again with DPN's in a larger size and have another go at the sock.

You might think it is crazy to learn to knit by making socks, but they have lots of technique, there are some great tutorials - thank you Winwick Mum! - and you have to learn to knit something don't you and the thing that I want to knit more than anything is socks.  Plus I have to concentrate SO hard that it distracts me from everything else really well!!!


Four

Somewhere at some point at the beginning of November I posted about my meal list for the month.  My chosen book for the month was Eat by Nigel Slater.  I cooked some new things and some old favourites and also gave up a few times and had pasta and a bought jar of sauce, fish and chips or some other less than healthy choices.  So overall the months meals were meh!.  Good when I cooked and not so good when I didn't.

Despite not cooking all of the things that I hoped to, I love this book and with one exception, I have never cooked anything from it that we didn't like.  The one thing we didn't like was just too spicy for our tastes, but I will make it again sometime with less spice!

My favourite and most decadent dish is the spaghetti bake (recipe here).  I recommend it!  We also tried the stewed red cabbage with blue cheese and apple for the first time (sorry can't find a recipe link). It was delicious.  I recommend it too!


Five

I have had a spurt of finishing crochet things in the last 10 days or so.  I need to eek out some time for pattern writing and sharing new things with you.  The pile of things keeps falling on my hubby.  Not sure whether the pile is trying to tell me or him something.  It looks pretty though.  I want to get them patterns written though because I want to wear these things.  That alone should be motivation shouldn't it!


Oh, and the toilet roll inside is there because I was using it to ply yarn that I have been trying - very badly! - to spin.  I am a terrible spinner!!


Two things I can share with you are the scarf (above).  This is called the First Time Easy Scarf, you can find the pattern here.

The carrot was a gift for someone who really wanted a crochet carrot.  No pattern, I just made it up as I went along and no, I can't replicate it!  The nicest thing about this was the lovely carroty illustrated thank you note I received.  So kind, thank you, you know who you are!


That wraps things up for this weeks five bits of goodness.

To see more Five On Friday posts click the badge below, as I am of course linking with Five On Friday!  You can find out how to join in a grab a badge and everything else you need to do by clicking through to the link up post.

Thank you for stopping by today, I hope that you have a great weekend, whatever you are up to. 

Oh, and if you are taking part in the Christmas Card swap, today is the last day for sending your cards.  There will be a link up post to share your cards later in the month.  If you haven't heard from you swap partner, or been in touch with them, please leave a comment on their blog today, asking them to get in touch.  If you don't hear from them by the end of your day on Saturday please e-mail me with your name and address and I will send you a card from me instead and if you would like to mail me a card in return that would be lovely, but there is no pressure to do that.

If you get a message in your comments from your partner, please do get in touch with them!  They are waiting anxiously to hear from you.

One last thing, that I forgot before, I have decided to do an opening of my advent calendar each day on Instagram, so if you would like to do a daily window opening with me, do pop by my IG account each day between now and Christmas - you can of course find me as Love Made My Home!

Amy


44 comments:

  1. Welcome back, your desk sounds like mine. Missed our five on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am actually in Egypt at the Red Sea and Internet is very moody ! I like your desk, at least one can see that you are working and also the little Christmas decoration ! I am here since 4 days and we have wonderful weather 30°C !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your desk looks so creative Amy! :) I have put some Xmas decorations, mostly electric candles / lights for they brighten up these grey days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy you are back, Amy! It was so much fun reading your five items, today. Your socks look so good. Keep up with your sock knitting as it will become so easy. Hugs, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Amy,
    So nice to see a post from you. Sounds like you are moving forwards with your life in spite of the challenges. That's quite a pile of crochet you've done. The scarf is lovely. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amy, I am your first comment! I feel a bit intimidated.....:) I do love your messy desk - it looks like my sewing table. It seems to be a catch-all and I have to constantly tidy it up. I have always wanted to learn to knit - I do love the pretty shades of yarn you are using. Your carrot is very cute - I can see a whole bunch of those for Easter! Love your pretty scarf - the yarn looks very soft and cozy. Hope you have a nice weekend with a tidy desk! Hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a desk in my hall that's looking very similar to yours at the moment! The scarf looks beautiful and I'm intrigued by the crocheted carrot - is it to go with a crocheted Peter Rabbit perhaps? xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to see you back. The Winwick Mum sock tutorial is fantastic and how I learned to knit socks. The yarn you have chosen is lovely and will make a great scarf until you are ready to try again. X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for posting, Amy! I love how you share your life in your posts. This last week I looked back and read your Advent posts which you had published before I started reading your blog. I am going to try to check out your presence on IG...I have not mastered how to use that yet...I think I have just posted four pictures so far. I really want to knit more socks and crochet a first pair, too. I did not realize you spin! Once in awhile I spin on a Ashford Joy I have. Wishing you good days! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your desk looks exactly like mine... No matter how often I tidy it up it ends up the same in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your desk looks exactly like mine :) A lovely mess full of inspiration!
    Have a beautiful day, take care...
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice to be back with you for Five on Friday, a sure sign that you're feeling better. A great five. Have a good weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome back, lovely photos, love the little bird. Your desk is wonderful, and shows how creative and busy you are:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank goodness others have a desk like mine. But as my lovey mother once said - you are not untidy, just creative - and that's good enough for me! Best of luck with the sock knitting, they are wonderful to wear. Love the beautiful glass birds.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Organized chaos is how I describe my craft room, which looks a little like your desk. Loving the pile of crochet, always a delight to see. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Amy, great to be back with Five On Friday. I can so relate to the untidy desk syndrome - read my Five post for one solution I have found that really helps! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Christmas and Crochet! Doesn't get much better than that :)

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amy!!! The Desk thing!!! That happens to me too. I frequently (annoyingly) end up having to utilize the "floor desk" which drives me bonkers ;) - My office/school room is in desperate need of a re-think and re-do. A project for 2017 I think.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a cheerful post. Your decorations are a pretty red, and the two birds are the cutest. He he your desk looks exactly like mine - Twins!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. To be fair to you my dear you have a lot to fit on your desk :o) Our table always looks like that at one end, no matter how much I try to keep it clear! I love Nigel Slater and I adore that little carrot xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I try to remember to buy a new Christmas ornament each year too, this year I found a gorgeous glass flying snowman when I was in Cornwall on holiday in the summer so I must remember to get him out when the tree goes up. I do love those birds, they're so pretty. The way I prevent ladders in my sock knitting is to shift a couple of stitches on each needle each round I knit. I use dpns so after knitting all the stitches on one needle, I knit a couple with the same needle from the following one. It seems to work.

    ReplyDelete
  22. An untidy desk is the sign of a creative mind - or so I keep telling my family when they comment on the state of mine! Nice to see you back - and knitting socks too! I knew you wouldn't be able to resist forever ;-) The best way to avoid ladders is to pull the first two stitches on the new needle a bit tighter, and also to shuffle the stitches around every now and again so you're not always changing at the same place. Your knitting looks really good and that Stylecraft yarn is a good choice for a first pair. Loads of people have launched into their knitting addition (!) by knitting socks so don't believe for a second that you've overstretched. Just keep an eye on how tense your shoulders and hands are and remember that the worst that ever happens is that you unravel it and start again. Email me if you need help, or if you need an instant fix and you're on FB, come and find the Sockalong group because there's always help there xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've no xmas decoration, too. The problem with you desk I know very well. Sounds you would be in my house :) I never was so lazy in the office.... but it is only my home.
    your socks will be fine, if the arn't stiff like a board *laugh* you could use bigger needls. I knit very regular but stiff and always need a number higher for the needl.
    have a nice weekend
    gusta

    ReplyDelete
  24. Snap with the desks! Love your little birds, I have completed my Christmas card with a little bird!
    Have a great week, thank you for hosting :)
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  25. I rather like your messy deck; reminds me of my own. Lovely bird ornaments and the others are beautiful, too. Have a happy weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beautiful and fun post, Amy! Your photos are lovely. I always try to take photos of sparkling things before Christmas... but it's not easy.
    Knitting socks is wonderfully relaxing, isn't it! The multi-coloured yarn you use is beautiful and I like the fact the ball band shows how the work will look.
    Have a lovely weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great to see Five on Friday back! I love your photos. Very artsy. Your desk looks a little like mine, except I think mine is messier. Can't seem to keep it tidy. Your socks are looking great. I think it will be a while before I'm able to tackle any socks. Your crochet looks great too - I'm glad you've been able to get some done. I know crochet is your first 'love' but I have to say that seeing all the yarn goodness in your blog is what inspired me to get moving on my plan to learn how to knit - so thanks for the inspiration!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I enjoyed your five and thank you for hosting. I always love looking at your crochet/knitting work. The carrot is the best! What a great gift for someone who was especially wanting one. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello amy...it was so nice to see your five today...I love that carrot! Happy weekend.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ah I love that carrot Amy, its great! A great five, I did think you had a picture of my work desk there for a minute ha! Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love your glass bird ornaments, aren't they beautiful. Have you popped over to winwick mums tutorial on socks. She makes it so easy with her step by step instructions. The carrot is fun! B xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love your ornaments and all your "yarning". I have a desk that looks very similar to yours! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for taking the time once again to host this fun link party! Lovely to see your knitting/crochet. projects. The carrot is perfect!
    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  34. So happy to be back with you for 5 on Fri! ;)

    I love that I'm not the only one that has a desk that looks like that - and an office where everything seems to get magnetically sucked to until it's filled. It can be tidy at the start of the day and then a nightmare by evening. ::sigh:: I blame office fairies. I'm sure that's how it happens. ;) I also completely empathize with the hot flash stuff. Ugh!! I've just been starting to have some serious moments with those. And it may last years??!!?? What do the Hubby's get? Nothing I'm aware of. Geesh - why do we get all the fun?

    I love your scarf and carrot and always just seeing what you're up to and making these days. And I'm LOVING following your IG advent calendar!! ;) Blessings on your weekend Sweetie. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  35. Good to see Five on Friday. I will be AWOL for a couple Fridays. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm so happy to see everyone back. I thought I might have to wait until the New Year.

    The first thing I noticed in your office are the dear little puppy dogs in the upper right corner. The desk looks normal to me - just like mine except for the fan. I'm old enough to have left the hot flashes (I called them power surges) behind.

    ReplyDelete
  37. You are sounding back to yourself Amy. Love this post and all of your honesty. My desk is a mess too!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Looks like a nice start to December.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh, Amy, I am still here & I owe you an email, but we are having horrendous i'net problems. This morning it has taken me 1/2 hour to read your 3 posts I was behind on with it being so slow & dropouts whilst on WiFi. I'm looking forward to seeing that pile of crochet and as for knitting socks, I keep saying I'm going to try, but haven't yet. I need some toastie ones for next winter, so everybody needs to give me a nudge. Loved the chatty post. Thanks & take care.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Amy! I ha to giggle at the sight of your desk! That's about how my sewing room looks most of the time! Hope you're doing well and thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  41. I have two reasonably sized desks -- and both are a total mess. I know I have to find some time to fix this!
    Keep with the socks. As for ladders: you may already know that you need to pull tight the second stitch on each needle. My favorite trick when knitting stockinette socks: I move the stitches around so that ladders can't develop. I do this by knitting an extra stitch onto each needle every 6 or 7 rounds. It works perfectly! Oh -- but you need to mark the start of the round.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Well done for learning to knit! I should try and get knitting again too. Making my own knitted hat would be great. x

    ReplyDelete
  43. Goodness those knitting needles look tiny! Love the crocheted carrot, is it for a snowman by any chance.
    Good luck with the desk tidying.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  44. Amy, my daughter collects glass baubles, may i ask where the birds are from. she has an identical one in clear glass but not like these, gorgeous choice and purchase x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx