Wednesday, 12 October 2016

Cacti and succulent mini hoop art

I imagine you are thinking "now what does that title mean?".

It takes a moment to get your head round doesn't it.  When you see what I am talking about it is obvious, but just reading the words sounds a little mystifying.  I shall demystify immediately!

Voila!


Now you understand what the title means.  These are the cacti and succulent hoop art pictures that I made, although I think mine are more cacti than succulents!



Again, another Mollie Makes kit - I really had let these build up hadn't I!  Also no link between me and anyone else regarding this, but these were designed by dandelyne.com.  I mention this because I looked on their website and these hoops sell for over £5.00 each.  Now if you are anything like me you might be suspicious that the things included with these kits are just "tat" but in fact it seems that they are not that at all.

I was really pleased with these.  I think the pictures are very cute, I like the designs.  There were about 8 suggestions of different pictures in the magazine and if you had more hoops you could have made more pictures as there was plenty of embroidery floss.

To make mine I drew on the fabric with one of those disappearing ink fabric pens and then just followed the lines.  Mine are slightly different from the ones on the packet for the kit, but are still just as cute I think.  A little rustic perhaps, but I like them all the more for that.

They are so tiny that I have just propped them up on the top of the frame of another picture, but you could easily turn them into necklaces or I thought they might make nice brooches too.

So don't turn your noses up at those kits, they might well be much better than you think they are!

I have made up all of the ones that I had "in stash" now.  I decided not to make most of the yarny ones as they were really not my style and have instead added the yarn to the basket of scraps for my Happy Scrappy Squares Blanket - which hasn't had much attention lately!

I am all caught up now, until the next time I buy a magazine and it comes with a freebie of course!

What have your favourite free kits been?  Do you make up these kits?  If not, what do you do with them?  So many questions!!

Amy

This is one of the posts that I wrote in August to be published in September but publishing it got delayed by my need to take a blog break.

26 comments:

  1. They look great. Put m in mind of my post on crochet cactus here. Jo x
    http://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/cactus-crochet.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're lovely. I rarely make up the kits which come with magazines, I've got loads of them hanging around, I'll have to give some of them a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was indeed wondering about the title Amy as I like cacti, they are the only house plants I don't kill. They are very cute and even less likely to perish under my care :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look lovely Amy. I don't buy magazines so no free kits for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are so cute. I love Cacti and Succulents, I love mini things, what a great combination xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. They turned out lovely. I'm terrible at doing the kits that come with the magazines. I admit to being a magazine addict. There are so many cute projects in them. Just not sure I'll ever have the time to finish all the ones I want to do! I am going to get some of the kits done - reading your posts is making me want to get stuck into a couple of them

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely Amy. I used a few years back some of these hoops that I bought from Australia, quik postage and lovely independent shop : http://dandelyne.com/ I bought the necklace kit, great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, aren't those adorable! Beautiful work, my friend. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some of the kits are scattered about the basement, I have only finished one, and I wish I would have kept them attached to the magazines because most of the instructions are in the magazines, which I didn't find out until I detached a bunch of them and was going to take them on a trip for something to do in the car! They are cute.

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely finish. :) Happy Stitching. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute, would make great gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look great. I like your versions of the cacti. I've just bought myself one of these hoops. They're not cheap but I fancied giving it a go. It's nice to see yours as I'm still gathering ideas for mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a stash of free kits that come with subscription magazines that my daughters buy for me. I really must sort them out, they would make a great five on Friday post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love buying magazines with a free gift but I never get around to doing them! I gave a whole load away to the brownies who used them for a badge. I like the title, as well; it is a mouthful, but much nicer to say than to eat! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. We have a lot of those cactus here in New Mexico. I'm very familiar. :) They turned out so cute!
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cute and I'm sure fun to stitch

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are so cute! I'd like to see where you end up using them. So many ideas and I know you're creative!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't get Mollie Makes any more but I've still got a load of kits I've never done anything with. Maybe I should! Your cacti are very cute

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm just on catchup with blog reading and will trawl through my favourites, but this particular post caught my eye & I'll go back through yours later. I have quite a few kits from years past, as I only get one craft magazine in particular these days, so along with trying to finish my "huge" backlog of UFO's, I may also pull some of those as gifts. Now, I wonder where I've put some of them? Thanks Amy for that idea, or maybe not!!! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  20. They are very cute! I bet they stitch up quick too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fun stitcheries. I have a number of unfinished projects (ahem) but none of them were free.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are so charming, Amy! I love to embroider. I have a tablecloth half done for spring - maybe I will pull it out this winter. The kits are not so common these days, at least not in the craft shops here. xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  23. They are delightful, lovely stitching and the hoops are really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love these - so cute!! My daughter bought a book from the book fair at school one year and it had mini hoops and cross stitch ideas. I ended up helping her make a little fox one and she used it as a necklace. ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those are very cute! You did a great job Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  26. These look great, I have a ting for succulents at the moment and love the Mollie Makes kits.

    Angela
    Garden Tea Cakes and Me

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx