Wednesday, 21 September 2016

Reading My Books - The House on Hope Street

It might seem as though I read a lot of Danielle Steel books, and that is because I do.  I get given them and have a big pile of them - along with the large pile of Agatha Christie books - so it seems to be the thing to do to actually read them.

Yes, they are sappy and formulaic and easy reading, but sometimes that is OK isn't it.  They certainly make good summer reading.

I finished this one in just over a week, which considering it has taken me months to read some books is pretty good going so I am pleased with that.  It make a light read, but was a happy story, easy to follow, and yes, with a guaranteed happy ending, but again, nothing wrong with happy endings is there?

I used to know someone who thought that if the book gave you the ending and it was a happy ending that it wasn't a good book because it didn't "challenge" you.

Personally I don't want my books to challenge me.  I want to be interested by them and to enjoy them.  I don't mind if there are some challenging ideas in the book, or things that I have to think about more deeply, but I have no desire to read books that are never happy and never give me the ending!

The House on Hope Street tells the story of Liz and her husband Jack who are both lawyers living and working in San Francisco.  Of course there is then the obligatory tradgedy, and then well, you know boy and girl meet, fall in love, fight, break up, get back together, all is well in the end.  As I said, formulaic.


It was a pleasant story though, and as I said a good summer read and I am happy with that.  Although I wouldn't suggest rushing to get this book, if it comes across your path you might well enjoy reading it.

This one is off to the charity shop, I am not going to read it again, but as I have said before that doesn't make it a bad read, I am just trying to limit the books that I keep to those I will read again and I have been there and done that with this one so it is someone else's turn now.

Another book read!

What did you enjoy about your summer reading?  Do you like your books to challenge you, or do you just prefer to enjoy reading them?

Do share and let me know.

Amy

p.s. please read this post if you haven't already done so.

18 comments:

  1. I am a read and enjoy type of girl, a book that I can pick up and put down in between other things. Hope you are doing OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like a mixture of both... Sometimes it is good to be challenged but sometimes I just want an easy read. I'm reading Me Before You at the moment which isn't exactly great literature but it's a great story although I don't think it is heading for a happy ending. Sometimes that is what we need!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't remember if I've ever read any Danielle Steel books, I certainly haven't recently but I may well have done in my teens. I like easy to read books, I only usually read in bed before I go to sleep so definitely nothing too challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Amy, I love the author Danielle Steel too and she has wonderful books to just read and get lost in. Hope all is well with you and enjoy the week.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I get older I've noticed how much more I like a happy ending, in films as well as books. Life is hard enough so it's good for the escapism to be happy, surely xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to mix up my reading. At the moment lighter reads are better for me - ones where I can read a chapter or two and get back into easily. I was pleased to find some stand alone novels written by Alexander McCall Smith. I've enjoyed reading a couple recently. I found the characters amusing and at the same time the stories are thought-provoking, but in a good way. I hope things are sorting themselves out with your situation Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A book has to capture my imagination and be filled with characters that the author develops well. I'm going to read the latest book in Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series on the plane on Saturday. Summer has been less about reading and more about listening to books on cd while we are on the road. TV has been so dismal lately that we've even been listening to books on CD in the evening...

    ReplyDelete
  8. My reading material depends on my mood. I read for fun. Most of the time I'm not looking for anything deep, just a fun read or a good mystery. Something to help me escape reality for a little while. I've just finished reading Miss Ruffles Inherits Everything by Nancy Martin. I like her books. She writes light mysteries. I really enjoyed this one. I borrowed it from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read all sorts of fiction, from chick lit through to psychological thrillers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just prefer to enjoy reading. I have enough challenges in my life already! I'm a slow reader and have been reading "My husband's wives" by Faith Hogan. I wasn't sure about it at the beginning. But I'm over halfway through and hooked now. I can't wait to see what happens. It definitely isn't giving away the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love to read and tend to read biographies, especially of people who have great physical adventure or of travelling adventures.
    Sometimes will hear a lecture and if author's talk is interesting, will buy the book. This has led me to different books than I would normally would read. Also,will read some fiction but usually by 3rd chapter, will decide if it will hold my interest or not.
    Happy reading everyone😊

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love to read and tend to read biographies, especially of people who have great physical adventure or of travelling adventures.
    Sometimes will hear a lecture and if author's talk is interesting, will buy the book. This has led me to different books than I would normally would read. Also,will read some fiction but usually by 3rd chapter, will decide if it will hold my interest or not.
    Happy reading everyone😊

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes I enjoy a challenging book, and sometimes, "fluff" as my little reading circle refers to light reading. It all has it's place. For me, there has to be a balance. Too much seriousness can bring me down. Too much fluff, and I get bored.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love to read but can't seem to keep up with it all!! LOL hope you are doing well, enjoy your weekend!

    blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  15. Danielle Steel is a great author- I like his writing style so much ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I used to read a lot of detective mysteries...couldn't get enough! I also loved Maeve Binchy and a few others. I know what you mean about them just taking you away!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Agatha Christie is one of my all time favourite authors. I love her books!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've only ever read one DS boo, Summer's End and I was so disappointed with the end I vowed never to read another!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx