Sunday, 25 September 2016

Listening to my books - Murder in Mesopotamia

Murder in Mesopotamia by Agatha Christie was a little different to the other books on tape that I have listened to because it was actually more of a radio play than a straightforward reading of the book.  Several characters in the book Murder in Mesopotamia were dramatized, including good old Hercule Poirot, and the story was told from the point of view of one other character, the nurse Amy Leatheran.


I have seen a TV production of Murder in Mesopotamia, but didn't really remember the story, or "whodunit" so this was a great listen.  The story was told well, and I found it much more interesting than I do reading Agatha Christie books.  I listened to it in August during one of the days I spent sorting Man's papers.  It was great company and kept me sane and interested in what I was doing.  I thoroughly recommend it if you come across this tape.  It was well told and produced and the story is good too.

Murder in Mesopotamia tells the story of nurse Amy Leatheran who travels to the east to explore life and is employed to look after the wife of archaeologist Doctor Leidner.  Louise Leidner has been experiencing many strange things since the death of her first husband and now it seems that she is being haunted by the past once again.

Why could this be?  Who is doing it?  What will happen?  Perhaps Louise is imagining or making the whole thing up, or perhaps there actually is something going on.  Once Poirot appears on the scene more strange things happen and the story unfolds and is, of course, eventually resolved.

Agatha Christie actually travelled a lot in the middle east with her husband Max Mallowan who was also an archaeologist and so several of her stories are influenced by the time she spent travelling with him.  I thought that you could really see this influence in this story and it added to the realism and interest of the story.

Overall, a great listen and although this tape is going back to Lady to listen to again, I would certainly listen to it again.  I recommend it!

Amy

This is one of the posts that I wrote in August to be published in September but publishing it got delayed by my need to take a blog break.

28 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it. I love listening to radio plays which are much better than the TV - the costumes and scenery are fabulous!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a great comment, and exactly what I think too!! It is like reading a book where you can imagine things for yourself isn't it. xx

      Delete
  2. I've never listened to an audio book, or a radio play come to that. I have read this book though, not so long ago, and though I guessed the outcome quite early on, I did enjoy it. I agree that Agatha Christie's experiences when travelling in the middle east can be spotted in the stories and really brings them to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good story isn't it. I was pretty sure of the outcome too once I got into the story more. xx

      Delete
  3. There was a rebroadcastof the TV drama of this story starring David Suchet yesterday (in Japan), and I happened to see it. I really enjoyed it, and now I want to listen to the radio play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to think I only liked the Miss Marple books, but then through Netflix got hooked on the David Suchet Poirot series. It would be interesting to compare the TV version to the radio drama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the Miss Marples read by Joan Hickson who you may remember played Miss Marple on TV many years ago, I think she had a great affinity for the character. The TV and play versions are different I think, but each in their own good ways! xx

      Delete
  5. I enjoy reading Agatha Christie, and seeing the televised productions, but I've never listened to a book. Someday, perhaps. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would enjoy listening to one of these books if you ever get the chance. xx

      Delete
  6. always fun to read reviews from friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd forgotten how much I love Agatha Christie, she tells a great story. Thanks for reminding me!
    Jillx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to share! Hope you enjoy some sometime! xx

      Delete
  8. You have intrigued with this post Amy, I've never listened to an audio book yet they are widely available from our on-line library borrowing system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely recommend giving them a go, they are great to listen to when crafting or if you can get them to an online device - beyond me! - listening to when walking as well I imagine. Let me know how you get on. xx

      Delete
  9. I love a radio play, I automatically download the radio 4 afternoon plays on my phone and listen to them on my way home from work. We love Agatha Christie in our house, especially Hercule. I'm glad you enjoyed this version xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of downloading the radio plays, I will have to look into that to listen to when I walk! xx

      Delete
  10. Audio books are great to listen to if you have a massive job to do; I usually have one for decorating or cleaning a room out to. They don't require you to stop and watch, just listen, so your eyes can keep watching the work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, you can just do and be entertained at the same time, what could be better! xx

      Delete
  11. I used to always listen to books when I worked early in the morning (I'm talking 3.30am). They kept me awake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever works for you Sharon! I hope that you don't have to get up that early these days. xx

      Delete
    2. Not anymore! I took the leap and gave up my job about a year ago. Best decision I made. Our home is a lot happier now.

      Delete
    3. Good for you! Glad you are happier these days! xx

      Delete
  12. I haven't listened to a whole book on tape yet, but you are another voice in the chorus of those telling me they enjoy listening to books. Thanks for the review, Amy. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that you would enjoy it Gracie, but not everything is for everyone so just go with what works for you! xx

      Delete
  13. This sounds great Amy I must see if I can find the tape I love Agatha Christie stories thanks for the great review. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you can find it and that you enjoy it Linda! xx

      Delete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx