Monday, 12 September 2016

Fibre East and Elm Tree Yarn purchases

I went to Fibre East at the end of July which is a fibre festival with all sorts of fibre and yarny things happening.  Knitting, spinning, crochet, fibre, spinning, you think of a yarny thing happening and it was there!

I really enjoyed it, it was interesting to see what others were making and working on and producing and of course there had to be some shopping!  I just wanted to share these things with you as I think they are so pretty and you might like to see them.

I have never bought any "indy" yarns before, these are my first and are likely to be my only for a very long time.  These purchases were the result of a lot of saving and birthday money.  I am unlikely to purchase any more yarn for the rest of the year now and these really are rare purchases.  Apart from anything else I cannot afford to buy this yarn normally and I am quite happy with stuff I can throw in the washing machine if I am honest with you!!


First up are two skeins of Sweet Georgia Tough Love Sock.  The one on the left is in the Sapphire colour and the one on the right is Tooth Fairy.  I love the name of the Tooth Fairy!  Not sure that it reminds me of a tooth fairy, but it is a fun name anyway.  The colours are what really appealed to me.  These will be a two skein shawl of some kind.


This yarn - above and below - is also Sweet Georgia Tough Love Sock.  The yarns above are a gradient set of 5 colours of yarn in the same colour family from dark to light - or light to dark of course!  I also bought the skein below which is in the Shoreline colour.  The plan for these is also a shawl and I hope to stripe in the gradients with the Shoreline in some way.



My final yarn purchases at Fibre East were these five 50g skeins from Five Moons they are in Denim and Sunflower colours.  Again, there is a shawl in the future for these!


So that was all well and good, but then things went a little over the top in terms of profligacy!  I saw a beautiful skein of yarn that Jooles from Sew Sweet Violet purchased from Elm Tree Yarns and I just had to go and have a look at them.

The reason for the attraction was that the yarns were based on Beatrix Potter characters and I do love Beatrix Potter's work.


First of all two skeins of Peter Rabbit colour!  I paired them with my Peter Rabbit Centenary Edition book for the photos.  I am collecting these centenary books as they are issued.


You can see how the colours match the colours in the illustrations so well.



The two skeins of Mrs Tiggywinkle!  Again the colours match the illustrations so very well don't they.



That is it for now in terms of yarn purchases!  I do have a few other new things which were Fibre East purchases and birthday gifts, but I will share those another day to spread out the profligacy!  I really do not purchase that much yarn, or other things for myself, this was my big splurge for the year which I had been planning for for quite some time!

Hope you enjoyed seeing the purchases, I suspect that you will enjoy seeing what I make with them even more and I will of course share those with you in due course!!

Amy

p.s. please read this blog post if you haven't already done so.

28 comments:

  1. Such gorgeous yarns Amy. If only I'd known you were were at Fibre East... It's only just up the road from me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I can see why you had to make the most of the opportunity and buy these pretty skeins, it's not something you come across every day. The colours are just gorgeous. Looking forward to seeing what you make with them. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your fabulous yarn selection! Have a nice week. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a fabulous collection of yummy yarn. Shawls aplenty - looking forward to seeing what you creeate with it all. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! I have a skein of Mr Tod from Elm Tree yarns which was last months yarn treat. I have a skein coming from Little French Meadow for this months treat. I'm treating myself to a little something nice each month. My new local yarn shop has a range of yarn dyed especially for them by Five Moons. I have a skein of lace weight which is destined to become a shawl with the colours named Winter. I'm sure you will enjoy your purchases x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous purchases. I think the Tooth Fairy colourway is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the BP yarns, especially the shades of Mrs Tiggywinkle, very tweedy looking.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  8. All gorgeous, Amy! Thank you for sharing! I love all the expensive yarns but yikes! Yes, they are a good way to spend birthday money!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love INdy yarns and Tooth Fairy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You made lovely choices, Amy, and I hope you will enjoy all the stitching you will do with it in the days ahead. I have been carrying a skein of acrylic yarn in a colorway similar to Peter Rabbit in the project bag you made. I'm knitting another little baby blanket...very simple but trying to make a border on two sides by doing a few rows of purl stitches, and then back to knitting. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely lovely colours!! I can't wait to see what you make with them x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love seeing these beautiful yarns.
    Couldn't help but think the ones that match Beatrice Potter books would make a lovely baby sweaters. Add a copy of book and what a treasure to receive for a new family member.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love seeing these beautiful yarns.
    Couldn't help but think the ones that match Beatrice Potter books would make a lovely baby sweaters. Add a copy of book and what a treasure to receive for a new family member.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful yarns - I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been away for a few weeks but back now. Sorry to hear about the Man. Hope things improve.

    I just wanted to say that I really enjoy your blog. Lots of interesting things going on.

    Your purchases look gorgeous. I'm not even a crocheter/knitter but I would be tempted. I was tempted when I saw some indy yarns in England while I was out and about. The only thing that stopped me was that I would need yet another suitcase to bring them home in. I already ended up with an extra one!

    Looking forward to catching up and participating in Five on Friday again

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh what fun to collect these BP books. Love the fun pairings. I really like the Peter Rabbit colors. Have a good week Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh Amy! How deliciously naughty. Those Miss Potter yarns are inspirational - how very clever. I have the wanties now and it's all your fault! I hope they give you much pleasure, you deserve it. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous yarns - especially the Beatrix Potter inspired ones. I can't wait to see what you make with them. xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are wonderful yarns, of course you had to buy them especially because you bought them at that special event. I have bought a LOT of yarn this year, but will use loads of it and have given a lot away too.
    Have fun creating.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have a feeling we could chat about quite a lot of stuff when it comes to trying to be normal. First of all, My MIL had massive stroke a year and a half ago and I was the one that did most of the care-taking. My Shug had to get back to work. The stroke took her life, but not before a week of hell for everyone, especially her. SO....Do as much normal as you can. It's the only thing that can sometimes keep you going. As for the yarn. It's absolutely lovely. And there are a lot worse things you could spend money on. I like nice yarn!

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  21. Something I do miss, going to these sort of events and actually seeing and feeling the yarns. You have chosen some beautiful colours, I´m sure that will keep you busy for some time. Look forward to seeing your results. xcx

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a shame we didn't meet up, my daughter usually organizes this event but is on maternity leave so I didn't attend. Stunning yarns looking forward to seeing what you do with them. Look after yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lots of gorgeous squidgy yarns and I love all the colours. There is something special about saving hard to spend at a special event and then the pleasure of choosing what to take home. Enjoy all that beautiful yarn Amy, you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your choice of colours and look forward to seeing what you make.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! These colours are so pretty ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Superb purchases Wonderful colours and I can't wait to see the finished products

    ReplyDelete
  27. Super Treasures! I doubt I would have been able to choose . . . Looking forward to your creations -


    ReplyDelete
  28. That is such beautiful yarn and I love the color. Hope you have fun creating something with it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx