Most of the time I carry my camera in my hand or my - rather large! - handbag. I don't hang it around my neck.
I find though that the strap is very itchy when I do put it round my neck and it is not very pleasant to carry the camera in my hand by the strap either.
Some years ago I made a cover for the strap out of some soft cotton yarn, but it hadn't worn well, it was rather grubby and to be honest my crochet skills have improved since then so all round it was time for a new cover for the strap.
This is the new cover. You can see that it is much nicer than the old one which is below.
I like the fact that the design is throughout the cover, which is all due to the very clever yarn that I chose to use.
You can also see that the join is much neater too. The first cover was made as a flat panel and then sewed - very crudely - together. This time I worked in the round and there is no join, and the line that appears where the round are joined is very neat indeed.
I used this yarn by Patons. It is called Smoothie DK. The colour is 02019. The yarn is 100% acrylic, which means it is soft, hardwearing and washable. That makes it idea for this use.
The striping occurs because of the way the yarn is dyed. You could not tell how it would work up just from the ball, but I am really pleased with the way it looks.
So now my camera has a new cover for the strap, my neck and hands are comfortable once again, and best of my all, my camera strap is no longer a messy disgrace!
p.s. please read this post if you haven't already done so.