Monday, 19 September 2016

Camera Strap Cover

Most of the time I carry my camera in my hand or my - rather large! - handbag.  I don't hang it  around my neck.

I find though that the strap is very itchy when I do put it round my neck and it is not very pleasant to carry the camera in my hand by the strap either.


Some years ago I made a cover for the strap out of some soft cotton yarn, but it hadn't worn well, it was rather grubby and to be honest my crochet skills have improved since then so all round it was time for a new cover for the strap.

Ta Dah!


This is the new cover.  You can see that it is much nicer than the old one which is below.


I like the fact that the design is throughout the cover, which is all due to the very clever yarn that I chose to use.



You can also see that the join is much neater too.  The first cover was made as a flat panel and then sewed - very crudely - together.  This time I worked in the round and there is no join, and the line that appears where the round are joined is very neat indeed.


I used this yarn by Patons.  It is called Smoothie DK.  The colour is 02019.  The yarn is 100% acrylic, which means it is soft, hardwearing and washable.  That makes it idea for this use.

The striping occurs because of the way the yarn is dyed.  You could not tell how it would work up just from the ball, but I am really pleased with the way it looks.


So now my camera has a new cover for the strap, my neck and hands are comfortable once again, and best of my all, my camera strap is no longer a messy disgrace!

Amy

p.s. please read this post if you haven't already done so.

34 comments:

  1. Great idea Amy I love that yarn, I have it in plain colours but not in the variegated. I may just copy your idea. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy, this is a great idea and a good way to personalise your camera too. Hope you're bearing up and managing to get some r&r time. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea, I always find my camera strap rubs on my skin. Your strap cover is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea Amy, your new strap is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patons Smoothie is my favourite yarn. I use it to make my girls school cardigans because it washes every week. I didn't know it came in variegated colourways. Nice strap there Amy. have a good week. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  6. The new strap cover looks great! I keep meaning to make a patchwork one for mine ......

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks fantastic Amy and the yarn is gorgeous. What a good idea. Your crochet is so neat. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. A triumph! Such a good idea. The stripy wool is magical. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very neat idea Amy - lovely the way the yarn has created its own pattern - I only have a tiny camera so it slips comfortably into my pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks great and it's very pretty and girly too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute! Totally loving this idea ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your ta dah camera strap - you are in great company at the recent blog conference I went to Olympus were a sponsor and they have just bought out a chic new range of trendy…. Camera straps! Quick start selling they are going to the new big 'in' thing! Hope you are having a better week.
    Hugs
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea! It also has the bonus of being easy to spot. If you put your camera down somewhere you won't be likely to walk off and leave it behind.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice! You did a nice job on the camera strap, Amy! It's pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so clever, my friend! And I just love the pretty colors you used.

    Wishing you a joyous week. Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks great! I don't put my camera around my neck much because I find it uncomfortable when I do and I end up (don't ask how!) getting the strap twisted. Seems like a great make!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely colours and the seam is very neat. My camera is feeling a little envious! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job Amy! And what a great idea too!! Not only is it so much prettier (love the colors!) - but also much more comfortable.

    HOpe all is well and continue to think of you and send positive thoughts & prayers!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is lovely! The yarn has made the perfect pattern - it looks so pretty and neat!
    How did you get your join so neat and straight too? I find when I join in the round, my join line is diagonal across the piece, but yours looks really straight! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well done, Amy! I love the way the colorway of the yarn. xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful Amy and I love the way the colours have worked and created the pattern. The joining of your first strap made me smile as the second strap is in a class of its own! It is interesting to look back at old projects and realise how much we improve over time.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a good idea, a nice soft strap. Love the pattern the varigated yarn made. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  23. A lovely camera strap, Amy. I have a camera bag and just get the camera out when necessary (or husband carries it, my Nikon is a bit of a heavyweight.) But I remember a poet I used to correspond with years ago, and he once said that as a young man in the 1920s he went abroad and took with him "a camera the size of a small dog kennel" and that "cured him" of photography for ever!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks great Amuy, been meaning to make one myself for ever such a long time and just never get round to it, maybe in the New Year now, yours really is neat and striking x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love it Amy, great job.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yours is definitely the best dressed camera. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love it, your crochet is so neat.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx