Tuesday, 8 March 2016

International Women's Day

You probably know that today is International Women's Day.  It started in America in 1909 and is now observed all around the world on the 8th of March each year.

There is also an International Men's Day in November in case any men are feeling left out!

I don't have anything particularly wise to say about this, or anything particularly interesting to share.

However, I am now, as ever, in awe of the women who have gone before us, who have fought to get the rights of women to the place they are today.  Yes, there is always more to do for the rights of women and of all people, but gosh, we have come a long way haven't we!

So think of those who have gone before, who have fought for us to be able to go to work, not to be shamed if we have a baby out of marriage, for women to have the vote, for women and their money not to be the property of their husbands.

The Alcott family were very interested in such matters of reform for all of society, and Louisa May Alcott wrote this in a letter to the American Women Suffrage Association in October 1885.

"If I can do no more, let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "

Although victory may still not be won, we have come so far and we must remember that!  We must also go onwards.

I hope that you are having a blessed International Women's Day, whether you are a woman or a man!

Amy

17 comments:

  1. I for one appreciate all those who fought to give women rights and for those who continue to fight for us :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what the Suffragettes would have made of todays fashion for waist trainers, after changing fashion to lose the corset that kept them confined? It beggars belief, I see adverts for them on t.v now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this post Amy, you have lots of interesting and wise things to say about the subject as I didn't know the origin and now I do, and I didnt know about the Alcotts interest. We women today, especially in this country, owe a huge debt of gratitude to those brave, enterprising and fearless women of the past who enable us to live our lives full of freedom and choice as we do today.
    Have a good week Amy!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just saw this announcement on Kelly Ripa show! Hooray for women! and for the men who make us great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's much to be grateful for indeed. Victory is not yet won in many parts of the world and even here (in my country, for example) things seem to be going backwards now.
    Wishing wisdom and empathy to men and women alike, today and every day.
    Thank you for the important post, Amy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy Happy women's day !! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually didn't realise it was International Women's day, so thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's hard to imagine how women lived not so very long ago. We owe a debt to those who not only strived, but gave their lives, that women have the rights they do today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for such a wonderful post, Amy! I made my FREADOM mini quilt to express exactly this.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the "days" are kind of silly, but I DO believe that the motive behind them is kind and good. I've always been very pleased and thankful to be born a woman. Hmmmmm. I wish I had a cake to celebrate. Ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's difficult to imagine what our lives as women would be like if previous generations of women had not fought so hard and achieved so much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on International Women's Day. We owe a lot to
    the women and girls who have stood up for our freedom in different areas of our lives and are still doing so in parts of the world where there are oppressive conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Greetings Amy on this special day. My friend in Belarus was celebrating this holiday today, too. Thank you so much for taking time to comment on my blog and leave a kind message. It's much appreciated. Have a wonderful evening (day). Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. In such a short space of time women's lives in this country have changed so much. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. We are still so far behind aren't we? Look at the countries where women can't vote, show their faces, and get stoned to death for being raped. Women's issues here in the US have taken a turn for the worse it is highly upsetting.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx