Thursday, 11 February 2016

A change of scene

I have been doing well with my walking, going nearly every weekday since the start of the year unless it has been really pouring down with rain - it isn't going to do my health any good to catch pneumonia is it!

My routine has settled in such that I go out at my nominal lunchtime for a 30 minute walk and then come home eat lunch and start "working" again.  This is all great, but I am finding that I am now a little bored of trudging the same paths every day especially as I cannot go off road because it is so wet everywhere.

Today I needed to go to a neighbouring village to collect something, so I was tossing up going for my walk early, then going out to do my errand, or waiting till lunchtime and then going on the errand.  In the end I decided that a change of scene would be good, so dressed in my old clothes that I wear for walking - I don't look totally like a bag lady, just nearly - I drove to the other village, went in and got what I needed - to a few looks askance - and then drove to a nearby car park to leave my car before I started on my walk.

Of course I took my camera to capture a few pictures to share.  After all, just look what a beautiful day it is!  Although it is very cold indeed!!!


I love the bare tree branches against the sky, especially when you can see the great big fat buds that are going to be bursting into life!



This pond is a little messy looking due to what looks like a large quantity of pond weed, I think it needs a clear up.


The bulrushes are spectacular though!!


I headed off around the playing field.


In a recent walk post I showed you some gorse flowers and some of you asked what gorse is.  Well, these fluffy shrubby shaped lumps below with the tiny yellow flowers are gorse.  It is very prickly!


Although the sky was blue and the clouds and contrails beautiful, underfoot the ground was very squelchy and wet indeed, so I turned to go back to the footpath.



I did have a little laugh though.  On one side of the road is the playing field with all sorts of sports facilities such as these tennis courts, and on the other is a pub!  A very nice pub with great signs though.



There are several churches in this village.  This is just one of them.

A little further along I came across this clutch of foothpath signs.  Sadly all going to muddy places.  I will try then on a drier day.



This village has a lot more older buildings than the one that I live in.  This was an old telephone exchange but is now two houses.  There are all sorts of interesting paths and roads in this village to take you to all kinds of places.  I need to explore here more!


There was another pub too, I haven't tried this one so I cannot comment on how good it is.



There must have been a windmill in this village years ago, something else to explore sometime.


There were lots of lovely plants growing in peoples front gardens.  I tried to take pictures discreetly.  This forest of yucca's - below - was amazing and puts my couple to shame!



This big fat magnolia bud is so pretty isn't it with its furry coating.  The tree will be beautiful when all of the flowers are out.  Another thing that I spotted and loved is this little holly tree sprouting out of a great big holly hedge.  I wonder if someone is trying to make it into a topiary.



Any ideas what the ring on the top of this post box is for?  I don't know.  I assume that it isn't to facilitate thieves pulling it out of the ground with a great big crane....


I am always amazed that nearly every time I go for a walk I will see at least one lost glove.  So sad.  I guess that it keeps glove makers in business.

Then we were back at the start where I had parked my car.  This is the villages war memorial.  The poppy wreathes stay in place all year until just before Remembrance Day when new ones are laid.


My change of scene walk was just what I needed!  It was good to do something different and I got to share it with you and get my errand done.  A win all round!! Hope you enjoyed it and that you are having a good week!

Amy

44 comments:

  1. Dear Amy...I am so enjoying reading your beautiful blog...I love all you share, and this post made me smile today! I love walking too and am trying to walk at least four times a week - sadly, it isn't safe for me to go too far, and I walk my dogs on the same route everyday...I too need a change of scenery...hee! I think perhaps this weekend I will drive to a forest close by and enjoy the sights and smells... Have a wonderful day!
    Much love,
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I have loved sharing your walk today!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here another lover of walking! It makes so good. Fresh air and light excercise... I usually take my walking sticks with me, nordic walk they call that.
    It is funny why we allways choose the same routes! I ought to take your example and change the scenery:)

    A fat magnolia bud!!! You had a lovely route - thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos Amy. DH suggested a walk today, but then decided the Buddleias needed pruning, and then the branches needed shredding, so no walk today! So it's nice to have a look round your area instead!
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know just how you feel Amy as I'm just back from my daily 30 min walk. I am trying to find new safe places to walk as I get bored too! I enjoyed seeing your part of the world on such a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely walk Amy it's always nice to have a walk somewhere different I love to see old churches and graveyards and old pubs the names always fascinate me I love the pictures outside that pub. Thank you for sharing your pictures the only walks I'm doing just now are on my treadmill but I will venture out when the weather gets warmer. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely, sunny walk. It's always nice to have a change of scene. Well done for walking every day - you'll be super fit in no time. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy all look absolutely beautiful !! hugs and love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I envy you all the public footpaths, we have nothing like that here. The Horse and Groom looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh it looks so spring like there. Very cold about 18 degrees F here. Mid winter in Chicago.....we are months away from your beautiful walk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Walks are a wonderful way to capture the most interesting photographs-and clear the mind.
    Thank you for sharing this one with us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all the photos today, Amy. I'm fond of your pubs, public footpaths, and colorful post box. Maybe the ring is so you can attach your dog there while you go indoors. No idea. It is curious, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's always nice to have a change of scene for a walk. That was a great idea to tie it in with your shopping in the neighbouring village. I happen to be well acquainted with gorse after my walks in the UK and Ireland. Beautiful to look at, but very nasty to fall into. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here in Florida it is always one lost SHOE. So many single shoes in the middle of the road. Who loses a shoe in the middle of the STREET???? I've thought about collecting them all up and seeing if I couldn't eventually make a matching pair, but I haven't hit quite on that side of crazy yet.

    Your photos are lovely and I think that change of pace was just right.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I get bored with the walks around my neighborhood, too. I get tired of looking at the same scenery. So I sometimes do what you do - combine errands with a walk in a different part of town or even a different town. We are experiencing frigid cold here again right now though, so no outside walking for me! I do have a treadmill in my basement, but it is so boring! Anyway, thank you for sharing your beautiful walk with us. I always love seeing different parts of England.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely photos, Amy. Joanna lost one of her gloves when she was out on a walk recently but she went out the next day around the same path and found it. She was so happy! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely sunny pictures..it's good to go on a different route. I often do the same circuit, but occasionally I will rebel get the car and go in a different direction. Not sure what that ring is for. Intriguing! Hope your other readers will know. Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. That walk was inspired! I really enjoyed going along with you. Something to remember this making a change into something good as you did here. Oh, gorse is also prickly. I must look this up and see if it grows in my corner.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I must admit I do enjoy seeking out new places to walk as well as walking in a few favourite locations more often. I enjoyed looking at your lovely photos. xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. i always lose 1 glove - though usually in the house!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Always good to find a new place to walk. You live in a very pretty area x

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is good to get a change of scenery once in a while and there are so many lovely corners to discover. Love the old telephone exchange building. x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just loved this so much Amy!! thanks for taking me on your walk. It did me a lot of good too, and on such a nice sunny day! I picture being there with you - taking it all in and chatting along the way together. Great job on keeping up on your walking too! That's my Girl!! Lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a quaint little village you were able to explore. I'm glad you had a change of scene and enjoyed seeing something new. I think the ring on the mailbox would be to lift it into that spot in the first place? Our mailboxes are very ugly compared to yours, although we just got a new set of boxes on our street last year that look nicer than the old ones.
    Now, did you stop in at a pub before you headed back home? hmm?
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  25. I thoroughly enjoyed your walk - especially as I was sitting with my feet up in the warm while I went along with you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. A change of routine is always nice, isn't it? You have chosen a perfect day for your walk, it looks beautiful where you went. x

    ReplyDelete
  27. I enjoy the sights on your walk Amy. It is nice to take a different route for a change although where I live in the country the main road is the best unless I do like you and drive to another area. I rarely do that. And I haven't been walking for months now due to the winter conditions so I'm looking forward to getting back to it in the spring. I hope you have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have just come back from my walk, it's 9:10 am in the morning and looking to be a very hot day in Auckland. Is gorse thought of as a weed in the UK? It is in New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my goodness!!!!
    I am not a walker...but if I had those things to look at...I may reconsider!!!
    Beautiful photos, my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fun pictures! I love walking in and exploring new places. I need to get back into my walking habit soon now that my foot is healing up after surgery. Have a great weekend and I hope you enjoy more walks!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a lovely walk, thank you for sharing it with us. Good on you for going out every day :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. A change of scenery is good for the soul. I love your beautiful walk.
    Good for you getting out and about.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  33. i want to check out more of the Horse & Grooms that does look interesting. i hope you mailed something? love all the blooms. looks like a quiet, get back to nature walk. so fun!! ( :

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great to explore a different area on such a sunny day. Do people tell you that you should get a dog? x

    ReplyDelete
  35. Well that was a lovely walk. We had a cold frosty walk yesterday too but it was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Well done on the walking Amy, it's the think I miss the most, I can manage very short walks but fall so much it's taken away my confidence. I go most days for about 10 minutes with Otto, it's good because he gets me out...oh for a good long ramble! Enjoy your weekend sweetheart :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  37. What an enjoyable walk you have shared Amy. You are doing really well, going 30 minutes every day. I wish I could walk in your gentle climate - I have to be out the door by 7.00am these days or it is just too, too hot! How I long for our short winter! The Horse and Groom looks cute - I love an English pub - and the church is very attractive too. Great post Amy. xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. It's nice to go further afield and combine an errand with a walk. It's a lovely village with plenty of scope for another walk sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  39. it's lovely to find new places to explore x

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a lovely walk! Love the village and the surrounds. Such beautiful photos. The lost glove....on one corner there were some keys attached to a stop sign with a wire tie. They stayed there for weeks and weeks! I imagine whoever lost them didn't go back the same way again and had to replace all their lost keys! Or maybe when the keys had disappeared that meant they finally figured it out. I hope so! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  41. A lovely walk and such beautiful pictures. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  42. What a lovely walk, I enjoyed your photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Such lovely photos. Thanks for sharing them. I like looking at and taking photos of bare tree branches too!!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx