Sunday, 10 January 2016

The Gathering of the Dilettanti

Last year at work we had something really exciting happening that I wasn't able to tell you about, but which I can now share with you.  It is only a little snippet today, but there will be more to come over the year.

We are very lucky to be hosting an exhibition of some of the works of art collected by Sir Brinsley Ford which are now owned by his son Augustine Ford.

The paintings are all housed in a special exhibition space and also include some items from the Ford families furniture.  The exhibition is open every day now.  As I share more I will explain how the collection came to Basildon Park and why it is hung in the way it is and of course more about the different works of art.

Today I am just focussing on one very small part of the collection.  The large painting in the middle of this wall - the one with the black and white checkered floor.  It is called The Gathering of the Dilettanti Around the Medici Venus.  Painted by Thomas Patch in 1760.


The painting shows many people gathered around five statues on display, the one in the centre being the Medici Venus.  The man climbing on the statue is the artist, Thomas Patch.  All of the people are on the Grand Tour of Europe, but rather than admiring the different works of art they are too busy talking to each other and carrying on their own conversations.  There is even a dog who is also ignoring everyone else.

The work is a satire or caricature of the people on the Grand Tour, they are all more interested in themselves than appreciating the things which they are supposed to be visiting.  It is more about appearances than anything else.  Hence the people are the Dilettanti!

You can find out more information about this exhibition here.

Today I am joining with Barbara at Coastal Ripples for her Paint Monthly link up.  Do go and visit and see some of the other interesting paintings being shared there.

Amy

25 comments:

  1. How wonderful to have the Ford Collection at Basildon Park, you are truly blessed to work in such an amazing place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to seeing all the others. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a treat. I wish we lived nearer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a brilliant exhibition. I look forward to seeing lots of paintings over the coming months :) Thankyou for joining with paint monthly...it seems to be gathering in strength slowly! Can you add a link to this page on the January paint monthly post please so that others will see your post. Barbara X

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely - your job sounds really interesting. I'd like to visit Basildon Park.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How I should love to attend this exhibition, Amy! And yes, this is an apt cariacurture of the great and the good who went on the Grand Tour (a lot of it simply to enjoy themselves as well as to bring back works of art for their own homes.) I do like this arrangement of pictures against the green background, too.
    I have used the link to Coastal Ripples, another blog I now hope to look at regularly.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well before reading this post I had never heard of Thomas Patch and I had no idea what the Dilettanti was so thank you for teaching me something interesting on a Sunday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me too! I had never heard of any of these. Thanks for teaching today :-) A beautiful collection!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There always seems to be something interesting going on at Basildon Park, you're very lucky to work there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely place to work! I live near the Newport Mansions (USA) and I LOVE visiting them. Such amazing places. Beauty, history, and art...three of my favorite things :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm interested to see more of this exhibit. You work in such an interesting place.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a place to work!Where in the UK are you.Essex?

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very interesting post. I like a painting that tells a story. Looking forward to reading more about the collection.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amy so exciting, cant wait to hear more in the coming months xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing this with us...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Clever old Thomas Patch. I went to see the Leonardo drawings from the Royal Collection when they were on tour four years ago and the woman behind me photographed every single drawing on her 'phone as we snaked our way around the gallery. She didn't actually look at a single one, just looked at her screen. Dilettanto. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very interesting discussion of this painting. What an honor for Basildon Park! Should be a wonderful year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really liked this picture when I saw it, thank you for my private tour. But I confess to living one to the right of this painting even more. Look forward to reading about the rest in the coming year

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lucky you to have this exhibit so close. Enjoy.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  20. A beautiful collection, Amy. I am like many of the others and did not know anything about Thomas Patch so I thoroughly enjoyed learning something new :)

    Have a great week! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That sounds wonderful.. I'd love to have a close look at those paintings!
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Blogging can be so educational. Thomas Patch is a new artist to me. Interesting concept for his painting of the statue and the people interested in their own lives instead of the art they came to see. That's often how humans are, aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Amy,
    That reminds of the quote from A Room With A View "Papa, what did we do in Rome?" "Rome was where we saw the yellow dog!"
    How lovely to work in such a beautiful place, and be surrounded by such gorgeous things. Do you ever get the temptation to touch anything? Do you covet anything?
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh I am so looking forward to the rest of the updates. How very exciting xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx