Tuesday, 19 January 2016

Reading my books - Sophie Writes a Love Story

This is a totally different sort of book review for me.  One that I have to admit to being very nervous about! 

The reason for my nerves is that this book is written by someone that I know just a little bit.  As far as I know I have never met someone in person who has written a book, but this is the nearest thing to that.  Linda Kay, the author of Sophie Writes a Love Story writes the blog Senior Adventures, which I follow.  Linda Kay is also an author of several books, you can find out more about them here.

Linda Kay was kind enough to send me a copy of this book just before Christmas - signed to me!  I have never had a book inscribed by the author to me before either!  Lots of wonderful firsts.

I didn't start reading straight away because I was finishing my Christmas reads and I also wanted to savour this book and take my time with it. 

The story is the second in a series that Linda Kay is writing about different stages of love.  This one being about Puppy Love.  Sophie is the teller of the story.  She is recently widowed and starting the journey of moving on with her life.  As an author Sophie's love of writing helps her in that journey and takes us on an interesting journey too.

Don is also trying to move on with his own life.  He too has been widowed and is somewhat stuck in one place until painting brings a change to his life.  The two tales are interwoven and linked in a wonderful way.

I was fascinated by the way that the story was told, it includes both the story moving on and glimpses of the story that Sophie is writing.  The reason for my fascination is that I have been trying - for several years! - to write a book in that way and haven't managed it.  So it was a great read and a great inspiration to me too.


Moving on to whether or not I would recommend the book.  Well, I am being totally objective and not swayed at all by the fact that Linda Kay sent me this book or that I know her through her blog.  Yes, I would most certainly recommend it!!  When I have reduced my pile of books to read the others in this series - there are two more, the third was just released in December! - will be on my list of books to read.

It is a good story, moves along well, is interesting, tells about a side of normal American life that many will be familiar with and others will find interesting to read more about.  It is also interesting to read a book by a "real" and "normal" person and to see how they do it.

Thank you so much Linda Kay for sending me this book and for allowing me to share it.  I wouldn't have got to read it otherwise due to my large book backlog, so without you I would have missed out on this charming tale.  Thank you!!

I could go on more, but I think that Linda Kay will be embarrassed, so I will leave it there.  I recommend the book, go read it! 

Amy

p.s. messing around with my blog right now.  Yes, I will back it up!  I wanted to let you know that you may see some changes, and I will be changing my link buttons - top right - bur for now I have added a slightly clunky link so that you can now find me on Ravelry.  Hope that you stop by and then I can come and find you too!

25 comments:

  1. How lovely to have a book inscribed to you, I have a few and they are precious to me,although they are gardening books from Bob Flowerdew and James Wong both I have met up with on several occasions end of the day they are normal everyday people, I hope you do one day write your book, have read your short stories you have a talent there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine most authors are normal everyday people just like us. We have quite a well known author in our village and among our circle of friends and she has the same worries and insecurities as all of us. How lovely for you to receive this a a gift though... And it sounds like a good read too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a special book, so glad you enjoyed it and well done to Linda for writing it. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the book recommendation. It is often difficult to recommend books or be objective about a book written by a friend.
    In exchange I would like to recommend two books I have just read and enjoyed:
    Charlotte Betts' latest historical, The House in Quill Court, truly excellent writing, a novel set in the Regency period, mainly in London; and Judith Lennox' latest, a long saga set in (mainly) the Mersea area of Essex in the period 1938-1966, The Jeweller's Wife.
    Current reading: a first novel by Guinevere Glasfurd, The Words in my Hand, an historical novel about a young Dutch maid and her relationship with French philosopher, Rene Decartes, in Amsterdam in 1634 - the writing is skilled, precise and evokes Holland at this time. Only read a few pages, but I knew instantly that this was "my kind of book."
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading your review, it sounds like something I would read! I like that you keep repeating the word, 'normal'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely of Linda Kay to send you the book to read, and inscribed too. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It must be so exciting for you :0) enjoy the book... mari

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exciting times, all the more special having it inscribed to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting to read a book by someone you know. Sounds like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review Amy it sounds like a lovely story. Found you on Ravelry and twitter. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Amy! I like the current blog look!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How lovely to receive a book from someone & that you enjoyed reading it too x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the review, dear Amy. I love books and am always on the lookout for a good one :)

    Have a fabulous afternoon. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds like a good book Amy. Thanks for the recommendation! Wishing you a wonderful week.
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Will take a look at Linda's books, always like to read reviews and this series sounds a good one. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a good read and such a thoughtful gesture by Linda to send a book by herself as a gift. I've way too much to do at the moment to do much reading so may put in my book of good reads for later. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Amy - Sounds a good read. Thanks for the recommendation. I will keep a lookout for it. Joan Jepson.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow Amy, good luck with your novel lovely!!! I can't wait to read it. This sounds like a great read too from Linda Kay xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Amy! You're going to town on books and this does sound good. I've got the time to read now, but I don't want to. Something must be wrong with me! ;)
    Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelai ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. It sounds like a good one! Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I always enjoy the nuts and bolts of a book, too. How it was done. All the best with YOUR book.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, I follow Linda Kay - I must read her books! This sounds wonderful - thank you for sharing! x Karen

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amy, thank you so much for your review of "Sophie". She was really special to me, as I also enjoy writing. My friends who know me and read my books look for things that might be "me", but I keep telling them it's fiction. Always fun to read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for the book review Amy, it sounds like a delightful read, I shall add it to my list/pile which is already significant!

    ReplyDelete
  25. very cool snowy shots. they are calling for rough snowy weather around here, we will see what happens. i think a lot of the time it is all talk ... i know it would be fun to see some snow, considering it has been so long since a real good snow storm, but it makes travels rough for so many. i have been reading non-stop lately. i try to add it to every day. there are never enough moments though & something always takes a backseat. how to folks do it, get all things done, etc. ( :

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx