Tuesday, 5 January 2016

My little random world

Edited to add - all was well.  You can read the outcome in part 2 here.

It is just before 9 am.  Hubby - who I never call hubby in real life, just here on my blog! - has just called me.  He had a message on his work voicemail at 9pm last night from the person that I refer to here on my blog as Man - who I never call that in real life either!

Now, Man had to deliberately phone this number.  It is not programmed into his phone.  So he made the call, waited for it to go through, listened to Hubby's voicemail message - which trust me seems to go on for ages..... yawn.... - and then hung up.  Without saying anything.

You are thinking so what?  Why is she telling us this.

Well, I didn't have anything else to share today!  Let me tell you the real reason I am sharing it though.

This is just part of the random world which we now live in with Man.  Man lives just under an hours drive away from us.  Man has "decided" (probably too strong a word for someone whose mental grip on the world is not what it could be) that someone is telephoning him to sell him something all day long.  So now he is no longer answering his telephone.  He just leaves it to ring.

We have told him to answer it and then just hang up if it is a sales call.  I have double checked and he is registered with the telephone preference service which is supposed to stop cold calls - and works very well for us by the way, it is free, look it up online - so he shouldn't be getting cold calls.

He has probably had one random call and then imagined it into something else, because he does that sort of thing sadly.  For example the person that he insists comes round at night bringing a big doorbell with them to ring to wake him up.  His own doorbell is disconnected.

So we are now worried.  Why did he call, that late at night, to Hubby's work and what did he want.  Is there a problem.  Why hasn't he called us at home.  Why was he calling in any case.  We cannot telephone him because he will not answer the phone!

That means that I am now off to drive the hour to his house to go and check on him - and to try and explain again the difficulty about him about not answering the phone! - and to see what he wanted when he made the phone call.  Then I will drive the hour back home.

I might not get my walk and my writing time today.  Sorting this out is more important though.

I think that the answer will be one of two things.  Either he has called Hubby's number to test it because Hubby recently gave him a business card with his work number on.  Man is insisting that Hubby has changed jobs because - about 10 years ago - the name of his company changed and therefore the company name on the business card.  Hubby hasn't changed jobs, but Man insists that he has.  So he might have been "testing" something to see where he works, if the number works etc.

Or the other option is he called Hubby at work - why at night time I don't know - to discuss why Hubby sent him a thank you note for his Christmas present (Hubby's).  Answer - I made him!

Either could actually be the answer.  Or it might be something else - the big doorbell issue?

Just a little spotlight into our random world.  Because you know, apparently we have an easy life....  Not that I am complaining because I certainly don't have a bad life at all, but it isn't all the fun and roses that some people - not bloggers! - think that we have.

Wonder what mysteries I will find.  I will update you when I get back!

Hope that you are not having a random day.

Amy

p.s. you might wonder why I have seemingly wasted time writing this.  1. I am a very fast typist and was already online when Hubby called and 2. I cannot go too early because Man will be in bed and will not welcome me waking him up as he doesn't get out of bed before 10 am.

35 comments:

  1. Dear Amy, I wish you strength as you deal with this kind of issues. I know how frustrating and tiring they are especially when they continue for a long time.
    Take care! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope everything is OK.Followimg my post yesterday.Yes, we went on to have a great family life.We had two more children and now have five grandchildren.Today is another day.On wards and upwards!
    let us know what happens today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you could move to happy times! That is good isn't it. As you say, onwards and upwards! I have written an update in another post. xx

      Delete
  3. It sounds as if you need to be both cautious and careful Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a difficult person Man must be to deal with and you are very kind driving so far to see that he's OK. All these things, small though they might seem to others, are part of life's petty irritations with which so many of us have to deal, not always on a daily basis, but from time to time.
    Yes, I'm a fast typist, too! No wonder I generally leave long comments. I'm a touch typist, I don't need to look at the keyboard, either, and use all my fingers. As well as learning to drive, it was one of the best things I ever did, learning to type (I learned shorthand too, but as I never needed it, I can't remember any of that now.)
    Margaret P
    PS Glad you don't call your husband "Hubby". As you know it's a word I don't like and refer to my husband as "my husband" (or something worse, har, har!)Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't the person, it is their health problems, and I know that, but it is hard! It was my childhood ambition - the only one I had! - to be a touch typist, and you are right, I am glad that I am! xx

      Delete
  5. I can understand your frustration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry that you are in the situation that you understand! xx

      Delete
  6. mental illness is a difficult thing to deal with, I think you are brilliant for taking on the care of Man and his well being, in an ideal world there would be a support network in place unfortunately its not an ideal world, people like you and hubby should be praised and recognised fr the support you give


    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, I hope you found Man well and not too confused about why you're there. I'll be in your pocket. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne. No, he was not at all phased that I appeared! I do that from time to time so that is OK at least. I am sure that you were in my pocket and you came on my walk too! Thank you! xx

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a bit of my life there, I get random texts and calls from a friend who struggles with reality. Unfortunately I am too far away to go in person but there is a close family member who I alert. My day often whizzes off on a tangent, but that is mostly my own doing. I tend to get easily distracted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get distracted too! I think that we creative artsy types are like that aren't we! I am sorry about your friend, it must be hard for you being far away and unable to help more. I am sure that being there to listen and pass on concerns is a help though. xx

      Delete
  9. Hope you find that all is well with Man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janet, as well as it could have been! xx

      Delete
  10. Hope everything is well. It's very difficult to deal with these type of situations, especially when Man doesn't live very close by. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope all is ok when you get there. We recently bought an elderly relative a phone with caller display. if you are registered with called ID and then program recognised numbers into the phones memory it will display their names, eg Amy, Doctor's office, and now our relative only answers if she sees a name she knows. She still rings me to tell me about all the unknown calls though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an excellent idea, I hadn't thought of that because I didn't know that such a thing existed. I will look at getting him one, it would help a lot! As you say even if we get the calls about the other calls at least he might answer our calls! Thank you for the suggestion. I am sorry that you are having your own difficulties! xx

      Delete
  12. Good luck - thinking of you. I know how difficult these things are to live with. There is no easy solution. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara. Same as as we have discussed before! xx

      Delete
  13. I actually enjoyed reading this little bit of randomness. You are quite right, life isn't always as easy for us as some people imagine. I hope Man is all right, and you discover a reason for the call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it is good to know that what you are dealing with is the same as others isn't it. I think so anyway! I have felt a lot "better" for reading that others deal with the same things. xx

      Delete
  14. Hope all is well with Man, certainly difficult times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You saw my second post I know, so yes, all as well as it can be! xx

      Delete
  15. Life can be so complicated, can't it? I hope you can sort things out x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh dear Amy, it sounds as if he is making life quite difficult and anxious for you. I do hope nothing is amiss, and that you are able to convince him not to make any more worrying phone calls. Good luck. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CJ, as you have seen all was as well as it could have been! xx

      Delete
  17. THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL THAT YOU HAVE SAID HERE IN THE COMMENTS, AND TO THOSE OF YOU WHO READ THESE POSTS AND DIDN'T LEAVE A COMMENT - which is totally fine by the way, I get it. YES, I AM SHOUTING, BECAUSE THANK YOU! XX

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness I can't wait to see what happens.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you will discover is that I am not nearly as nice as you think I am and that I am actually quite grumpy! xx

      Delete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx