Sunday, 27 December 2015

Hello home again

Laura Ingalls Wilder said "Home is the nicest word there is"  I have to say that I totally agree with her.  Although I agree with most things that Laura said!

We are glad to be home again after our Christmas travels, we have unpacked, although not necessarily put away - Hubby! - and have sat and drunk a cuppa and watched the Michael Macintyre Christmas special.  We are no longer boiling hot from the excessive and constant heat.  I have never been so glad to be cold.

It was a good time though, and with many things to be thankful for.  Several new books received, some chocolates and a new pair of earrings.  Oh, and it seems that I really need a book about Norwegian log stacking.  Really.  I know.  Weird huh, but you would want it too if you read it.  Tomorrow I will be ordering my own copy.  I also received The Ladybird Book of Mindfullness......  Not sure that I am very good at mindful.  Or that this book will help.  It is hilarious though and laughter is always a good thing isn't it!!!

Mango liqueur was drunk, and a few other things too.  My only dilemma, what to do with two boxes of sugared almonds.  We don't like sugared almonds.  I bet they will like them at work though! 

The last Downton Abbey has been watched - cannot reveal anything, but I can recommend it.  We also watched the Call The Midwife Christmas special.  Definitely one to catch  if you didn't see it, but you will need a box, or a crate, of tissues.  And a glass of something.  And probably a box of chocolates.

Two Christmas quizzes completed.  One question based that I wrote and gave out prizes for.  The other a picture quiz which I won, but have realised that I didn't get a prize for.  I did give myself a prize of a chocolate gruffalo for my quiz though so all is well!

I will leave you with some pictures of our Christmas.


The tree and parcels.




Table all set for dinner.  Laid by me.  Correctly laid....  I will explain all another time.



The Lord of the Manor - above - and Her Ladyship - below - enjoying their Christmas Day snoozes!  Opening presents is so exhausting you know.


I hope that you have all had a good time too!

I am off now to catch up with your blogs - I have been sans internet for four days now!!  Talk about withdrawal symptoms...

Happy Christmas and New Year!

Amy

p.s. we did have a good Christmas, but I am glad to be home.  I will be even gladder come Monday next week - a whole week away! - when life returns to normal!!

p.p.s.  I am not really miserable, just need some peace!

27 comments:

  1. It sounds like you've had a good Christmas. I saw those Ladybird books in WHSmith, they're so funny, aren't they? I haven't watched a thing from over Christmas yet but I've got them all recorded to watch when I've got a minute, I'm looking forward to Downton and Call the Midwife, two of my faves. Awww, I think the festivities have been too much for those lovely doggies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Travelling can be hard work, can't it? I am glad you had a good Christmas Amy. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean, Amy! Me, too! I simply want to sit on the sofa and knit. I'm glad you're home! Thank you for not revealing the Downton Abbey end. We get to start watching it in January.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you've been busy and that you've had a good time. Mango liqueur, sounds exciting! Lovely to see you back again Amy. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought R the 'Ladybird Book of Mid-Life Crisis' for Christmas - I had to buy it after laughing so hard I attracted attention in Waterstone's! We have the Downton finale recorded but haven't watched it yet - thank you for keeping mum! Glad that you had a good Christmas. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had a lovely Christmas. The Ladybird books are so funny, you just can't help laughing out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I must get those Ladybird books! they are right up my street, especially as I have written about the history of Ladybird books (and have a tiny collection of them, but I'm picky about the ones I collect, I only want those on costumes, houses and so forth, and none of the reading series about Peter and Jane.)
    Love that Christmas tree and the prettily-laid table. I think you mean that the correct way to lay a table is with the forks with the tines facing downwards (as you have them.) I always thought this was the American style of table-laying, but I'm prepared to be corrected.
    Did you say where you've been on your travels or have I missed something?
    Oh, you know how the various NT properties decorate for Christmas, well, I've just seen Greenway on local TV, Greenway being the summer home of Agatha Chirstie, and they wanted to decorate with Christmas puddings (apparently there was a mystery involving a Christmas pudding - I missed the lead to this story which explained this) and they put out a call to all the volunteers in all the NT properties to send them Christmas puddings ... not real ones, but those that were crocheted, or knitted, or made with felt and so forth and they had over 300 sent in! And Greenway looked very festive!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Forks faced down I see ;) Correctly laid!

    Looks like you had a wonderful christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your lovely Christmas post but DISLIKE the yearning to get back to
    Normal! I'll be back at school
    Before I know it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS Some etiquette webs say that forks downwards is the continental style, while upwards it the American style. I was always taught that the tines should face upwards, but I'm prepared - as I have said - to be corrected.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you've had a wonderful time with lots of food, wine and presents! The book about Norwegian log stacking is on my list too. Happy reading Amy. I'm not a Downton or CTM fan but Dickensian is proving more watchable than And Then There Were None, to which I fell asleep on the sofa last night!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Downton was so nice, all the ends tied up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm with you on the "let's get back to normal" thing. I LOVE Christmas but, when it's done, it's done. I'm going to take our dex down tomorrow and get the house back to some semblance of normality. I might even do a little dusting although that's not really normal around here! :oD

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad to hear you had a wonderful time. It is hot as Hades here, not like Christmas at all. Can't wait to see the last season of Downton, it starts next week here. But it is the last season which is so sad.
    Hugs to you and happy reading,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  15. Forks facing the right way indeed! Welcome home lovely, I think Radio 4 have featured your log piling book, the Lady Bird books are very funny indeed. I'm glad you have had a lovely Christmas so far and love your pictures, I was going to post a photo montage today but completely forgot ha! How was your cake? Have a lovely rest of the season, I hope you get to enjoy it xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lots of lovely Christmas photos there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad you had a good time , mmmm mango liqueur never tried that sounds good . The dogs look so beautiful. Lots of love . See you in 2016

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're right, there's no place like home. Looks like you had a beautiful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It does look like a beautiful Christmas. Your work friends will bless you for the treats.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm glad you had a good Christmas and that you are home. It is the best!
    Your table setting is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad you had such a nice Christmas, but you are right - there's no place like home!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are right Lisa radio 4 had an interview with Lars, it was excellent and I bought the book too! Welcome home Amy x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad you had a good Christmas, but it is nice to be home again too isn't it? And I agree, I don't think I've ever been so hot! Now I shall have to look up the book on log stacking, I'm intrigued. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. It sounds like you had a nice Christmas Amy! What a pretty Christmas tree! Wishing you a nice week and a Happy New Year!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds to me like you were enjoying even though home is always welcome. It's your own space. Must look out for that Ladybird book, if it's a good laugh. I've tried this 'mindfulness', but don't really get it. Have a lovely New Year and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I heard about the log stacking book too! It sounds amazing, I will be interested to hear what you think of it! X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx