Sunday, 15 November 2015

Reading My Books - The Home Maker

My latest finished read - finishing just last night in fact - is The Home Maker by Dorothy Canfield Fisher.  It was written in 1924, but the story might as well have been written today.


Mrs Knapp - Evangeline - is a stay at home Mum.  She obsessively does the housework, cares for her three children, is a renowned dressmaker amongst her friends and does all she can to keep hearth and home together.

However, life isn't really going Evangeline's way.  The housework is never ending, nothing ever seems to go right for her despite all of her efforts.

Mr Knapp - Lester - works at a local department store in the accounts department.  He trudges to work every day and spends most of it with poetry going around in his head.  Lester loves his children a great deal but never really gets to spend the time with them that he wants to.

All of the family have health problems to deal with, Evangeline has terrible eczema, Lester and the children have digestive problems, the youngest member of the family, little Stephen, is never happy and is seen as one of the naughtiest children there could be.

One day though everything changes for the Knapp family.  Lester makes a decision which brings about a massive change for the family.  Suddenly things totally change.  At first it is a great shock, but then as time settles everything there is a new beginning and life is oh so much better.

Who is the home maker really.  What makes a home, what makes a home maker.  Is it someone who does the housework or is it something else?

This is an excellent read which I would thoroughly recommend to anyone!  The story is just as relevant today, what makes us happy, what makes a happy home.  How do we achieve that, what do we get from what we do all day and what does it give our loved ones.

If you are looking for something different, read this, in a way, it is today and all that we are dealing with.  I find that so interesting, 90 years on, that things are really not so different at all.

This book is definitely staying on my bookshelf and will be read again.

********************

This is the thirteenth book that I have read this year as part of my Reading My Books challenge.  I had the next six all selected and ready to read, but then I decided that as it was so close to Christmas - sorry! - that I would pull out all of the Christmas books from my to be read books.  So now I am setting myself a big challenge.  I have seven Christmas books to read!  My hope is to read them between now and the twelfth day of Christmas - 6th January.  It is a big ask given that it has taken me over 10 months to read thirteen books, but it is good to challenge yourself isn't it.

I hope that you are enjoying whatever you are reading!

Amy

24 comments:

  1. It sounds VERY good! Thank you, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My reading has taken a bit of a nosedive lately. I need to go somewhere on the train, that's when I read the most. Glad you enjoyed the book and good luck with the challenge. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed the book. It's good to set yourself challenges, it's good motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good book Amy. Although not many women have the privilege of staying home as a home maker these days, the title is certainly the culmination of many jobs. If anything, it would involve even more today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved that book, loved it even more as I got it free from Persephone to review. I shall count up the books on My Books Read 2015 page, between 60 and 80 maybe!
    I love reading Christmas books too, although as I order from the library they often don't turn up 'til January

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds interesting and I'm always on the lookout for good books to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hoping to go to Persephone book shop soon, missed out on our last trip to London as I 'glutened myself' , will look it up. Thanks for the the recommendation Amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd be interested to see your list of Christmas books as I'm looking for some to read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This books sounds like an interesting read. I have a few christmas books (some old, some new) which I'll be reading some of soon. I like a bit of trashy, christmas romance in December - I think because it's a busy time at school I like something easy to read that I can just get lost in and forget my own life for a while!

    Thanks for your comment on my reading habits post - and sorry I've been so terrible at commenting lately! I am reading, but have not been leaving many comments, I can't seem to find many words at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That book sounds good Amy I looked it up and it's quite expensive I will have to see if they have it in the library although I doubt it, enjoy reading your Christmas books a good way to get into the Christmas spirit I would say do tell what titles you have. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow the book sounds very forward thinking and a good read! Thanks for sharing your thoughts it's given me more inspiration for my to read list :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds an interesting read, I will definitely seek it out. Thanks for taking time to write the review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds very interesting! I'm going to see if I can get it from my local library in Virginina! Thanks for the tip Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have this on my bookshelf from the days when I would buy all the new Persephone books as they were published and then I took stock and realized I was just buying them, keeping them, and not actually reading them! Silly, or what? So I will dust if off and maybe read it ... current reading is a delightful book I must mention. Did you see the recent Canal Journeys series with Prunella Scales and husband Timothy West? Well, on one of the journeys they met a young woman with a bookshop on a barge (well, narrow boat, actually, but bookshop and barge is nicely alliterative, is it not?) The book is called The Bookshop that Floated Away and is by Sarah Henshaw. I love her slightly quirky style of writing and the book is great fun.
    The other series I would strongly recommend are the books set in pre-war Berlin by Jane Thynne and feature a young actress who is half English and half German. I won't say more, I don't want to give anything of the plot away.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm simply going to have to read it because my youngest is called Evangeline, not my choice, but she does suit it. It sounds like a great read too xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Amy... That sounds like a great recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love when it's the time to (re-)read some Christmas stories. I must dig mine out so I can read them all over again! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds a great read Amy. And what a challenge you have set yourself. Good luck.
    Rosezeeta.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds like an interesting book to read. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  20. it sounds wonderful...quite extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like my kind of book, Amy. I am currently alternating between the Dido Kent mysteries and the Louisa May Alcott mysteries and enjoying both series.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Amy...this sounds like a book I would enjoy. I will have to add this to my reading list challenge for 2016. I've also picked out some christmas reads...Enjoy your Christmas reading. x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'd love to see your list of Christmas books.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You can get all seven books read, don't worry about your housework, then you will have something to do after the excitement of Christmas has faded. LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx