Sunday, 29 November 2015

Peace

As you may know, in the Christian calendar today is the first Sunday of Advent.  Advent starts on the fourth Sunday before Christmas day and marks the coming of Christmas.  It is a time of preparation.

If you have been a long time reader of my blog you will know that I always mark the four Sundays of Advent each year.  This year I have decided that I will share a little with you each week about four different topics.  Peace, Hope, Joy and Grace.

Originally I had planned that the first post would be about Faith, but at the moment I am instead drawn to Peace.

What does Peace mean to me?

It means many things.  Harmony, quiet, stillness.  You might also think of peace as being the opposite war.  We reach a peace treaty, we seek peace.

Of course we all hope for peace in the sense of not being at war, and for goodness sake we all know that we need peace of that sort in the world right now.  For everyone we need peace, no matter your religion or faith, creed, colour, sexual preference, tall, short, thin or fat.  We all surely hope for and look for peace.  I am right there along with you, desperate for peace.

Flipping the coin a little though to look at another meaning of Peace what do I find?

Walking along by a body of water, the sea, a river, a lake.  That is very peaceful for me.  Seeing a big open sky, with nothing around where you can really see the sky in all of its glory.  Quiet times in the garden, with the birds flying around and singing and looking at the beautiful flowers.  Baking.  Crocheting.  Staring into space and doing nothing.  Laying in my hammock in the garden in the summer and just watching the wind rustle the leaves in the trees.

Such peaceful moments.

I find the quiet moments of stillness when I am alone.  There is no noise.  No television or radio.  I am not writing with the tap tapping of the keyboard.  Just the quiet when I can think and be.  Recently the radio in my car has only been working intermittently.  Sometimes it just cuts out and there is no radio to be had.  Usually I drive along with it on at full blast and often sing.  Now though I have times of quiet and of peace.  I am enjoying it more than I thought I would.  Although it does make me worry about how much longer my dear little car will last!

My thoughts can be my own and can flow as I wish them to and can take me to different places, to consider different things.

So as Advent is a time of preparation for Christmas and as we surely need peace in many of its forms, this week I am going to spend some time seeking peace, being peaceful and hoping that I can in some small way bring peace to someone else in the world.

Amy

24 comments:

  1. Hey Amy,
    What a wonderful post. It struck a chord with me this morning, as I sit in my quiet house relishing that first cup of tea. No radio, no washing machine going full whack, no kiddie noises, no voices. Just me, sitting and being. Listening to the wind outside, and Honey snoring by my side.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post Amy. I think if everyone could find peace within themselves the world would be a different place. Wishing you a blessed Sunday. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A small word but one with such great significance on so many levels x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post. Peace has so many different connotations, as well as in the wider context it's so important to find peace and to be at peace with yourself. Definite aims for the new year for me! Have a lovely first Advent Sunday xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. In this time of contemplation I too hope for world peace and ponder what the future may hold for the children born into a world where hate is normal. A thought provoking post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your thoughts on Peace and I so agree. We need it within this big world of ours, especially after the horrors of the last few weeks. Well these horrors happen all the time don't they? But we need to seek it from within don't we and that is what I find so hard. I had Peace as my word for the year a few years ago, I may have to go for it again.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a blessed Advent Sunday as you reflect on Peace. I like your descriptions of peaceful moments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Peace is so important, I find it restores my soul. I couldn't live in a noisy place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to think of peace as a quiet time, no sounds just a trickle of water, the spashing of the waves or the sound of birdsong, these days I associate peace with a lack of worry and I think that's what being at peace with oneself really means. I have to say I rarely have it, sadly there's always something or someone to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too long for peace Amy for myself, for my children, for my grandchildren and for the world. Your words have inspired me to make peace my word for 2016 and to appreciate the peaceful moments when they come and to have more of them. Ghandi said "be the change you want to see in the world". I long for a peaceful world.

    ReplyDelete
  11. May you be blessed with peace during this Christmas season, as well as every day of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, indeed! Peace is what I gained when I quit my toxic job. I am so thankful each and every day that I don't have to go there. I don't watch tv or listen to music at home so there's always peace and quiet when my husband is at work and my son is at school. And when I am walking, I feel even more peaceful and yet energized, too. We all need peace in our lives. Peace at home, peace in the world. Blessings, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Peace; such a big concept for such a small word!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a lovely post, I think I'm going to join you in the peace seeking this week, as this time of year there is always so much to do and so little energy. I'm going to do a advent calender over on the blog with a quick yarny made each day, as away to slow, focus and relax amidst in the bustle
    Clare xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Let there be peace on Earth and let it begin with me.
    Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thought provoking Amy. Thank you and I look forward to your next one. Have a good week and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely, thoughtful post. I look forward to your next 3 advent ones. Have a peaceful week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Amy, beautiful post. This is a time for reflection to change things! I love to write peace in many languages.

    Sandra xXx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a lovely and thought provoking post. I look forward to reading the others. I wish you a week of peace, love, and happiness.

    Hugs, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm sure that God will deliver peace into your heart as you seek it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A really thoughtful and peaceful post Amy. I wish you peace during Advent and hope that everyone, everywhere finds a moment of peace everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Christmas is all about Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a lovely post. Wonderful words. May peace be with you. M x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx