Wednesday, 4 November 2015

Notes from a cold bound housewife

Just a few things that I have noted while incarcerated staying indoors with my cold...

Shawls really are wonderful and comforting to wrap around you.  I love my shawls!!

You really cannot crochet when you are feeling cross eyed.  You will save far more time by just putting it down and waiting.

My favourite (if such a thing can be said, usual might be a better word) chemists website has literally hundreds of items for treating colds and coughs etc.  How on earth do you decide which ones to take when you are in the grip of a cold?  My answer, give up and just take whatever hubby has found lurking in the cupboard.

No matter how much honey you add to a lemsip (a cold medicine that you add to hot water, dissolve and drink) it will still taste disgusting.  Hubby suggested that this is so that it makes your body get better faster so that it doesn't keep having to taste the stuff.

I am an incredibly bad sick person.  You could not say that I "enjoy" ill health!!!

Marshmallows make a great throat soother when your cough medicine has gone out of date and has sort of dried up and gone crusty in the bottle.  Nice and soothing as they go down!  Not too shabby on hot chocolate either.

I am a very lucky person to have such caring family and friends and most of all a wonderful husband.  Sorry if that is a bit sick making, but being sick makes you realise these things!  I am very grateful!  Thank you all for being part of that!!

My childhood ambition - when I was about 6 or 7 - was to be able to type without looking at the keys, just like my Mum could.  A strange ambition that I have actually realised and for which I am grateful this week.  It means that although I cannot concentrate enough to really read things online, I can still type because I don't have to look at what I am doing.

The cheap hot chocolate tastes much nicer than the posh stuff.  Again, why can I not just learn this and stop trying to find the ultimate hot chocolate when the Galaxy stuff - still not cheap I realise, but cheaper than a lot! - tastes far better.

I fear that I am a moaning Minnie - and please don't feel that you have to be lovely and say that I'm not - mulling things over while not doing much else I fear that I moan more than I want to, should or is good for anyone to do.  This year my personal aim has been too keep my mouth shut - which mostly I have managed - so next year it will be to not moan.  A new years resolution made in the previous November.  Does that mean something I wonder??

You really do need to keep a note of the Christmas presents that you have already gathered up for people otherwise you can soon have more than you thought.  A good thing in my case as it meant that I was finished buying for someone quicker than I realised, but it could easily have been overshopping.  Notes will now be made!!

I have been through three boxes of tissues in three days.  Is that some sort of record?  I knew that I should have bought shares in a cold medicine company.

As you can tell my sense of humour has returned - thank goodness!!! - and although I am still feeling grotty, I am SOOOOOOO much better now.  Thank you for the good wishes, I haven't replied individually due to the cross eyed thing, but THANK YOU, I am sure that your wishes have made me better soon.

Today I ventured out to get some more cold meds - due to the failure of online meds shopping (see above) - and boy was I exhausted when I got home.  I had a crazy idea that while I am sick I could make the Christmas cake so I bought the fruit that I needed, but was too darned tired to make the cake.  It will wait - see housework!. 

Still watching tv shows, I am really getting the tally down.  Oh gosh I have recorded some odd stuff, mostly from BBC4 it seems.  Although I am sure that our recorder records stuff that I have never set it to record.  It used to do that with Midsomer Murders, we were often overrun with them for no good reason.

Ooopsssss, see, I am not good, I just pressed publish by accident before I finished typing.  That must mean it is time to go.

So, Thank You once again lovely people.  I am getting there and will return on Friday!  With what I have no idea, but Five On Friday will happen regardless as apart from anything there are oddly still at least five flowers flowering in the garden so I can always photograph those!

See you on Friday!  I hope that all is well with all of you!!!  Look after yourselves!!

Amy

48 comments:

  1. sorry to hear you are unwell with a cold, beastly things arent they and all those tissues you will be applying for Rudolphs job, I find as soon as i get a tingle of a bug take echinachia helps to nip in the bud before it becomes anything to bother about, get well soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you feel better soon, Amy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marshmallows as a cold cure. GENIUS! Another reason to eat them!
    Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Five pictures of a red nose!?
    Get better soon
    Best cold remedy is drinking loads of water, a few paracetamol and some vicks vapour rub for the nose and chest Old fashioned but useful

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get well soon dear friend. Don't reply, you are too poorly. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear Amy, there seems to be a lot of the sniffles around at the moment. Hope you're feeling better soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to see that you are feeling a little bit better - make sure you are properly better before you try doing 'stuff'. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh Bless You Amy...I hope you are feeling better soon. We always have a drawer full of cough/cold remedies in this house....all my grannies old fashioned favourites, always reliable. Jakeman's, Potter's Cough Capsules and Vicks Vapo Rub....oh and who could forget the Olbas Oil...xx although I still swear by a hot toddy. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Amy I think when you are this poorly you are entitled to moan. Great post by the way it seems you are keeping yourself busy in between feeling bleurghh! Get well soon X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you're feeling a bit better, Amy. Husbands can come in handy when you're not feeling too good. Douglas was my rock earlier this year when I got the flu - even though I'd had my flu jab. I just lay on the couch and slept/read/bored myself silly watching telly and he looked after everything else. Ladies with wonderful men are lucky, aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you continue to recover. Three boxes of tissues IS a lot of tissues. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you on the mend and hopefully the worst is behind you. Keep wrapped up in the shawls and take it easy. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's funny that you and I are both suffering from a similar cold being across the globe from each other. I take DayQuil and NyQuil and they both work very good for me. I also am not so good at crocheting when I feel this bad. Get well.. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry to hear you have a rotten cold! Hope you feel better soon. I liked your post. I like reading the ones where you just sit and type what comes to mind, sort of list style, without thinking too much. I like doing those kinds of posts too. Get better!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Amy, so sorry to hear you are poorly, hope you get well soon. I always find a cup of honey and lemon helps, I have also heard that rubbing Vick on your feet and putting socks on over at night is meant to help. Not sure about that one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, even though you are in the throes of a rotten cold, you have managed to make me laugh! But why bother buying cold meds at all? Just go to bed with boxes of tissues, hot water bottles, and lots of soothing things to drink, such as hot Lemon Barley or Orange Barley water with lots of honey added, some Strepsils to ease the throat and paracetamol for the headache. You can't cure a cold but you really don't need much for it, either. A nice soothing bath or shower, is refreshing, too, and a lavender pillow mist or some lavender oil on your pillow will help soothe you and some Olbas oil added to hot water and then put your head over the bowl and inhale will help clear those blocked nasal passages.
    We have found that the best hot choc is Twinings Swiss Milk Chocolate hot chocolate. It isn't cheap but it's not the most expensive either. The real way, of course, is to heat milk and add pieces of real chocolate and allow them to melt ... but they do that if you bypass the milk and just eat them!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry you've got such a horrible cold Amy. I was reading about making New Year's resolutions in November just the other day, I think it's an excellent idea. I have a whole list of them to implement... I'm wishing you well and a speedy recovery. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds a horrid cold - hope it's on it's way out now, and you feel better for the weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hope your feeling better soon ! Get plenty of R&R ,

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wishing you are over the hump. THree days coming, three days here, three days going for a cold my mom said

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hope you feel well really soon dear AMy :) :)
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad you've gotten your sense of humor back, I hate colds, nothing makes them better for me, but NyQuill will put me to sleep so I don't cough as much.

    ReplyDelete
  23. If you want advice for the next time you feel a cold coming on, I have some. Otherwise, I'll not bug you with it. I am not a doctor; I just pretend to be in Blogdom. But my treatments always works for John and me.

    So sorry that you are dealing with it, though. I remember how awful they are. Truly, I do. How helpful that you can type without looking. I can as well, but my fingers are chubby so I could write something like tyjid snf uou'f juet hsbr yo gihutr iy ouy. Oh how insensitive, not to mention rotten, of me when your eyes are crossed!

    Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh no - I'm sorry you are dealing with that nasty cold! I drink hot chocolate to sooth my throat, never tried marshmallows!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I hope you feel better soon. If you had to get a cold better to get it before the holidays. Nothing worse than being sick during that time. Been there and done that.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's a lot of tissues! Have you tried the Lemsip tablets? All the benefits of Lemsip but without that awful taste! Just follow them with a hot cup of tea so you still get the steamy effect. I'm so envious of your touch typing ability - my daughter can manage it but I'm absolutely hopeless. Here's to a full recovery. xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Get better soon Amy. I've had a cold this week and also a flare up of arthritis in my knee and I am an awful patient. Being unwell is so frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hope you're feeling a 'lot better' soon. Thanks for the update and you are not alone in being a bad patient, as I am too. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yes, a lot of tissues, but needs must. My cold cure is hot lemon and honey, paracetamol and the hottest steamiest bath I can bear. I'm very impressed by your typing ability, I'm all fingers and thumbs! Take care Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Through your sneezes and coughs you have made me smile. I know that resentment against the rotten cold so well, do take care and make sure you fully recover. Get well soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. You are best off at home today, it's all miserable outside! You must be nearly fixed by now. Keep cosy x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Dear Amy

    Hope you are feeling better. I agree with some of the comments above about honey and lemon for a sore throat - apparently it is as effective as any cough mixture/sore throat mixture. I also agree with you about the Galaxy hot chocolate being as good if not better than other more expensive brands. Look after yourself and you'll soon feel more human again!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  33. Still funny even if you are feeling miserable, that's a big achievement :-)!
    Hope you feel better soon and will at least be able to do some crochet or something.
    Lots of love from Mirjam.

    ReplyDelete
  34. get well soon Amy. Love your theory about lemsip. my mum used to give us some cold medicine that was so foul that I thought it was a kill or cure medicine.......

    ReplyDelete
  35. Glad you're feeling a little better. Keep taking the lemsips, they may not taste great but they do you good.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh poor you. Hope you feel much better soon. (Typing this comment with a tea towel wrapped round my face. Nasty germs. Can't be too careful!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Brandy, that's what you need. A good lug of brandy in your lemon and honey. Colds are miserable. Get well soon! Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  38. Poor Amy - Hope you are better soon. I love hot chocolate especially with whipped cream. I think whatever you take for a cold it just takes time. Joan at www.aviewtothefells.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh, poor you, Amy. I was going to send a virtual cup of lemon-ginger tea but perhaps chocolate cake as well?
    I'm saving the virtual hug until you are germ free :-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  40. I agree with Sam that's my ultimate cold remedy, all the cold and flu stuff is a waste of time at least it is for me the decongestants make me more congested. A couple of paracetamol with the above always helps. I hope that you got the aloe-vera tissues much more gentle on the nose, my son told me to get some when I was ill last week because my nose was like a tap when I saw how much more expensive they were I just stuck to the cheap ordinary brand and had a red sore nose, however if my son was similarly afflicted I would think nothing of buying the softest tissues going for him we women make so many sacrifices. You take care Amy the worst is over. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  41. I hope you're feeling better soon. Last year my husband and I got flu 2 days before Christmas, and we were still feeling ill at the end of February. (Yes, we had out flu shots, but they just didn't work) What helped me the most was a concoction that my husband came up with....hot water, honey, lemon, whisky and marshmallows on the top (the mini ones) I think it made me feel better, but if it didn't I didn't care anyway. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  42. Aw, I'm so sorry you're sick. I'm not a "good" sick person either. I whine a lot. My husband's had a cold for a week and he's barely said a word. Just shrugs it off. He's definitely not the typical guy in that aspect! Hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  43. There have been some viruses around here that have just lingered. I am gad that I haven't caught one, and really, really glad that Marc hasn't either. I am a terrible nurse.
    Get well soon!!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  44. Get well soon Amy, some colds just wear their welcome out don't they? I had one of these hanging on types back in September and thought it would never clear up.
    It's hard to keep a good woman down!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Poor dear Amy! Hot lemonade!!! And those Airborne tablets and zinc lozenges! Those are my go-to's for my colds and flu!!! Hope you get better soon. I know you want to get back to crocheting and other activities! Love that you buy your Christmas presents early...I always try to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh, how miserable, Amy. I'm glad you have recovered well enough to have a sense of humour. That means you're on the mend! I discovered marshmallows for sore throats last spring when I had the flu of all flus. Hope you are continuing to feel better every day.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hope you're feeling better xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx