Friday, 20 November 2015

Five On Friday

Friday is here again.  It is good to know that the world is still turning a week after the awful events of last Friday.  We keep going, onwards, upwards, stronger.

Today my five things are a random selection...

One


Although it isn't summer anymore it doesn't mean that I can't use my summer decorations around the house does it!  These things which were part of a mantel earlier in they year and which before that had been scattered around the house in various places are now all gathered together in the bathroom to make a bit if a pretty display.

The coloured things in the glass jar are little crocheted balls that I had started to make for something and then not finished.  I don't have a good reason as to why they are in this jar other than I like them and that is reason enough isn't it!


Two

On Tuesday I posted details of the Christmas Card Swap.  So if you haven't already done so, please go and check to see who you are swapping with and make sure to get in touch with your partner.  All cards to be posted no later than 4th December, or the last posting date for your country, whichever is earlier please.  The post with the details is here.

Thank you everyone who has taken part, I know that some of you have already got in touch with the person you are swapping with, thank you too for letting me know!  My partner and I have been in touch and are looking forward to getting our cards out to each other.

Do let me know if you have any problems that I can help with.


Happy swapping!

Three

Our bedroom decoration is finally nearing completion.  Once I have finally finished the blanket that I am crocheting I will do a big reveal, but as that is some time off yet, I thought I would share a couple of little details today.

First off is this mirror.  I retrieved this from my grandparents house over 10 years ago and since then it has been sitting in the loft doing not a lot.  I remember this mirror from my childhood which is why I rescued it.  It was covered in a thick brown paint and wasn't very attractive or appealing.  Also the swing mechanism for the mirror was worn out so it kept tilting forwards, which meant that you couldn't really use it.

I decided that I wanted to put it into our newly decorated bedroom, so hubby fixed the broken mechanism, scraped off all the old paint and sanded it down, then painted it white.

Ta Dah!  One finished mirror!  I love it and although I don't really use it for looking in because we have mirrored wardrobe doors that I use, I like that it is here, it is a part of my family history and that the mirror is in use once again.  A memory from my past made new again!  Thank you hubby!


 Four

Another bedroom decorating moment, but a little less sentimental this time.  We bought three picture shelves to go in our living room, but we didn't have enough space to put them all up, so here is the third in our bedroom.  Just enough space for a few pretty things to brighten up the wall.


Five

Some of you asked about the Christmas books that I am planning to read.  I know, seven of them!  Eeekk!!!

Well, here they are.  I have started with A Gingerbread CafĂ© Christmas.  As I read them I will let you know how I get on and then I will do one round up post with a review of them all.

Hope that you can find some of them and can share what you think of them too perhaps, or you could share your own Christmas reading instead!


Five random and simple moments from my week!

As I said at the start, onwards and upwards we go.  Keep going, don't give up.

Thank you for stopping by and for joining in Five On Friday.  I hope that you all have a great weekend.  If you can, don't forget to visit some other Five On Friday posts!

Happy Friday!

Amy

********************

Thank you - as always! - for joining in last week.  I look forward to reading your posts again this week too!  Remember, anyone is more than welcome to join in, read this bit below, go and visit the Five On Friday page and then write your own post and then come back here and link in!



If you want to grab a Five On Friday Button or get more information about how to join in the All About Five On Friday page will tell you all that you need to know.

The Five On Friday "opening hours" are from 6 am on Friday until 7 pm on Saturday.  Please include a link or the button to my Five On Friday post within your post, or to make reference within your post to the button if it is in your sidebar.  This is to be fair to everyone.

If you want to check out anything else about Five On Friday see the All About Five On Friday page - top right of my sidebar.

To visit other bloggers taking part, just click on the links at the end of the post.  Please do go and visit their lovely posts!

*********************

44 comments:

  1. I love the seashore things, it's always nice to have a little memory of the sea about the place. I have some shells in my bedroom that we picked up in the summer. Just two, but they always give me a happy moment when I look at them. Well done on the mirror, it's lovely to see something old and broken mended and given a new lease of life. And to imagine your grandmother and you looking in it years ago. Wonderful. I hope you enjoy the Christmas reading. I ordered a Christmas book to read aloud to the children the other day. We read A Christmas Mystery last year. Wishing you a good weekend Amy. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How good, that you could save the memory-mirror and: I like the fox and rabbitt.
    The glass in your bad window make a painterly effect...
    Have a great weekend with time to reading

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Fridays come round so quickly these days. I love the bedroom mirror. Items are always so interesting when you know their story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That mirror looks great, as does the sneak peak of your curtains. That's a lovely colour too and a lot of books - good luck with the reading! Thanks for hosting

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your bathroom display and the crochet balls look perfect in there. The mirror looks great too and how brilliant to have that bit of family history in your bedroom. Have a lovely weekend Amy and thank you for hosting xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovley Amy and the little mirror is beautiful. Look forward to seeing the finished bedroom. Looks like a great selection of books. I may look out for them in our library. Thanks. Have a good weekend and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I might have to find myself some specific Christmas reading. I do always read Dickens's A Christmas Carol every Christmas Eve but other than that I just read what ever I have next on my list but I like the idea of some more Christmas based tales!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the work in the house is looking very pretty, and I love that you now have the mirror in your room. Yay for Christmas books, I love to read one each year, my last years one even had knitting in it. I considered at a few of the ones you have there for this year, so I look forward to hearing about them, the one I bought in the end is called Christmas Ever After, not my usual type of read but I do love a bit of chick lit at Christmas, I'm off to find out who my swap partner is Clare xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE your revamped mirror - and it's lovely that it has such sentimental value too. You have a great selection of books there - I do like a nice festive book. I think I'll have to do a library run and hunt some down for myself. Have a great weekend, Amy. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. The mirror is beautiful, a great job and a constant reminder of your Grandparents. Impressed by all that proposed Christmas reading, December is so busy I barely get time to look at a magazine. Maybe I should make more of an effort.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The mirror and shelf look great, Amy. I am posting my christmas card today. Thanks again for organising this swap. X

    ReplyDelete
  12. The mirror is really lovely, it's great that it's been given a new lease of life. Looking forward to the big bedroom reveal. You've certainly got your work cut out reading so many Christmas books, I think you'll be all Christmassed out by the end of them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweet little mirror you rescued! I like the fact that it has its own stand. Quite a selection of Christmas reads you have there Amy. I usually set aside one book to (hopefully!) read as the holidays approach. I have one chosen for this year as suggested by Thistlebear. I like your bathroom display, and I think shells and beach things look perfect in the bathroom all year round. The blue crocheted balls look like bubbles! I've been in contact with my card swap partner and am waiting to hear back from her now. Have a great weekend Amy!
    ~Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  14. A wonderful rescue with the mirror; such pieces are very meaningful. I like beach and summer things for bathrooms. I use a large shell as a soap dish year round.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the look of all your Christmas books and the decorating etc all looks great too. Have a lovely weekend my friend XX

    ReplyDelete
  16. my goodness I LOVE your book collection :) I do think the mirror is gorgeous they way you re did it and that it has meaning :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. How nice that your grandparents' mirror has a new lease of life. I'm liking the blue paint colour in your bedroom, its a lovely shade. Have a super weekend, Amy and thanks again for hosting FoF xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely post, Amy!
    Thank you for hosting Five on Friday and have a happy weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. The bedroom redecorating is wonderful, from what I can see! Love the blue & white! The mirror looks beautiful! Love that silver starfish too. What a great collection of Christmasy books! Have a wonderful weekend. And thanks again for hosting this wonderful meme!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your Grandmother's mirror, I've always wanted one like that. Looks like some happy reading for you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Delightful fives, my friend :) I just loved seeing the Christmas books you will be reading....don't you just adore Christmas reading? :) I have a pile of books I'm hoping to read during the holidays and I can't wait to dive in.

    Happy weekend, dear one. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amy, you are so good at "random" and I am so not. This is a fab post. I LOVE your mirror, he has done a top job and what a precious thing it is, full of stories, if only it could talk. Have a good weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your mirror has turned out really well, great to keep the memories going whilst having a modern twist. Have a good weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for sharing the Christmas books you're planning to read. I'll have to see if they have any of them in the library.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love taking something old and using it in my home, usually from something that means something, like you have with the mirror. Not ready for that Christmas reading as yet!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your grandparent's mirror and how it's now a part of your bedroom. Just lovely! Good luck on reading all those books by Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love your random collection, especially the collection of seaside knick knacks - those little crochet balls add the perfect touch of color. Wishing you a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lovely to read your post as always, Amy! Enjoy your books - I've read "Once Upon a Christmas" but none of the others. I'm wading through a collection of Cadfael mediaeval whodunnits at the moment - not Christmassy at all! xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love, love the beveled glass in your window. Cheers to Friday. Beckie

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love, love he beveled glass in your window. Happy Friday. Bekie

    ReplyDelete
  31. Amy your Christmas reads look lovely! I've noted down all the titles and I'm going to order them on the inter-library loan system :)

    Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you so much for the book ideas, I am trying to get in the mood for the Holidays and this will help. I am downloading the latest Jan Karon book tonight about Father Tim Cavanaugh, I just love him to bits. It will be refreshing after I have been scared to death reading Career of Evil, not my usual easy and happy read.
    Hugs to you my dear, dear Amy.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your mirror looks lovely - clever hubby! Have a great weekend! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sweet happenings around your home, Amy! Lovely mirror re-do ( I love the color of your bedroom walls) and shelves. Wonderful selection of Christmas books, too. Wishing you a lovely week! Hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  35. Already heard from my swappie!!!! YAY!

    I love your Christmas reading pile. I am reading the Nine Lives of Christmas --- so far, it is very cute and humourous! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  36. I like everything in your post - but am most impressed with the family mirror that you and your hubby saved. It is so delightful - what a grand memory!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love to reuse & "shop" my own home & use same decorations in different places & ways! Love that - & how you did that in your bathroom.

    What a lovely mirror! So special to "recycle" family treasures. I can't wait to see your room when it's done!! I love that shelf too!

    Thanks again so much for organizing the card swap. I've already been corresponding with my partner & it's been so fun getting to know her. Looking forward to our card exchange too!! ;)

    Blessings to you dear Amy & have a lovely weekend. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  38. Loved your blog. What a great idea to up cycle your mirror. Its so special to have things from your families past. Love the seashore window as well. Keep cosy this weekend. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  39. I do like the mirror that your husband (much prefer the name husband to 'hubby', but that's just me!) made good again! How smart it looks! And those windowsill decorations are really pretty.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  40. A very good variety for your five, Amy! You've lots of fun reads ahead & I love the mirror makeovers! So prettily decorated too!
    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi Amy,

    Loved your post and it is so true - we need to keep going onwards, forward and stronger, thanks for sharing.
    Your 5 on Friday are lovely - wonderful that you were able to rescue the family mirror and give it a new lease of life, love it.
    Enjoy the rest of the weekend
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi Amy....your mirror turned out beautifully. It looks as though we have a similar Christmas reading list. x

    ReplyDelete
  43. I had high hopes for this year regards reading but alas my challenge has been put aside and baby magazines taken their place. It looks like you've got a lovely set here to dig into.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx