Thursday, 26 November 2015

Chatsworth House 2

Following on from my post yesterday, I have the rest of Chatsworth House to share with you today.  Well, the rest of it that I photographed!


These incredible vases - the ones that look like towers - are called Tulip Vases, the tulips went into the little round pieces that you see on the corners of the different levels.  This type of porcelain is called Delft Ware.



I was interested to see this painting as it is by the artist William Marlow - you can read more about it below.  The interest in Marlow?  Well we have two of his paintings at Basildon Park where I work.  You can see them here.  It was interesting to see more of his work and in a different style.




Again, above you can see modern art paired with beautiful antiques.  Below though is a wonderful antique.  This isn't a violin.  Or a fiddle.  Or any other sort of musical instrument.  It is in fact just - I say "just"!! - a painting.  Isn't it incredible!!  This really amazed us.






Flash photography was allowed, which surprised me as it usually isn't, but it did make taking pictures difficult as in the darker areas when someone else's flash was going off it didn't help others photography - and probably didn't help theirs either - so these pictures don't really show off just how spectacular the beautiful pieces are.






Another little treat for me is the piece of furniture below.  It is very similar in design - although not identical - to one that we have at Basildon Park - you can see ours here.  It is called a Confidante Sofa.  So that the ladies can sit next to the gentlemen, but keep the arm between them, thus maintaining propriety!  Prince Charles has a Sofa identical to the one at Basildon Park - we believe that his is Chippendale!




You might recognise the portrait above.  This is the famous Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire, whose story was told in the film The Duchess.  Also - dare I say it again! -  filmed at Basildon Park.  I was actually really surprised at the number of links between the two places.



This beautiful table is made of different stones and minerals.  Work of this type is called Pietra Dura and is an Italian term meaning "hard stone".

Below is an amazing painting by artist Lucien Freud of the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire who died last year.  She was Deborah, one of the Mitford Sisters.



So much exquisite porcelain and other ceramic pieces!





The beds were of course incredible.  The canopies were especially beautiful.  Although I would still need a lot of persuading to sleep in a four poster bed.  I don't like the idea of being closed in!






This painting was, I thought, especially beautiful.  It isn't necessarily "pretty", but nevertheless it was incredible and fascinating.

The damage that you see below - probably caused by sunlight attacking the fabric!






You can see what I meant about incredible bed canopies can't you!




Looking back down on to the main stairs.  You can see someone trying out one of the round chairs with pointy bottoms that I showed yesterday.


This table top is made of malachite.  It didn't photograph very well as it is covered in a piece of glass, but it was beautiful.  I find it a fascinating material.






You know that I love an incredible ceiling!


Yesterday I mentioned something called "Blue John", well, this is what it looks like.  It is a mineral, only found in The Peak District.  It is blue and yellow and looks spectacular when the light shines through it, or it is lit up as this vase is.  Pieces made from Blue John are incredibly - for that read astronomically - expensive!  This piece would run into many thousands of pounds I am sure.



I leave you today with a beautiful lion.  There was a pair of them, probably larger than life size and just incredible!!

I hope that you have enjoyed the visit to Chatsworth.

Amy

16 comments:

  1. It is certainly opulent. I'm not sure I could live in it with my more minimalist leanings, but am so glad these wonderful places survive and that we can all visit and admire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos, Amy. Like you, I wouldn't want to sleep in a four poster or a bed with a canopy. As my daughter says - "there are too many places for spiders to hide up there!". :oD

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great tour indeed. I loved the beds and would love to sleep in one of those great four posters, canopy and all. I would imagine although claustrophobic it would be really warm and cosy. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! I really enjoyed that. You forget that the beds are full size with those large canopies over them, they look much smaller. The violin is an amazing feat, so realistic. I like the wallpaper too. Osborne House has a beautiful yellow sofa like that one, ideal for a chaperone to sit on too. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's so much to see, isn't there? I really do need to get my skates on an organise a visit. I really enjoyed The Duchess, I didn't realise that some of it was filmed at Basildon Park.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful place, I liked the movie The Duchess and read the book it was based on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful place. I enjoyed the film The Duchess too and the book Georgiana even more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have indeed enjoyed visiting. Such a long time since I visited the house itself although have often been in the grounds and estate, in fact I've really enjoyed both your posts on the inside of the house, thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful tour Amy, you notice so much. I'm wondering if you went to Haddon Hall? This is my favourite of all the Derbyshire houses. I'll always remember going there with the children one October half term because after our visit we went into Bakewell to buy a tart and we ended up also buying a beautiful oak desk (possibly under the influence of all the wonderful furniture we had just seen) in one of the antique shops. We had to have it specially transported home but it was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely loved this flying visit to Chatsworth, Amy!!! Love the porcelain (but then, porcelain is my very favourite object, unless it's a day when I'm in love with everything Robert Adam, and then the next day everything Thomas Chippendale and then the next day everything Grinling Gibbons ... I could wander quite happily through these rooms, indeed, I could imagine myself living there, nothing's too grand for me, I just love it all!!! (The film The Duchess is excellent, must remember to dust it down from my collection and watch it again.) Right now I'm going to imagine myself dancing under that glorious chandelier ...
    Ahhhh!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the beds ... I think that style of bed with the canopy drawn to a central corona is called a *lit polonaise* ... just thought I'd show off what little knowledge I have of such things, it's not every day you can say, "Hey, look, a *lit polonaise*!" is it?
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is called that, we have a similar bed at Basildon Park, I didn't mention it as I had already mentioned Basildon several times in this post xx

      Delete
  12. A wonderful tour Amy, it's a stunning place x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, what sumptuous rooms. The trompe d'oeil violin is amazing. I'd sleep in one of those four poster beds - the fabric detailing is so intricate. I wonder how many metres of fabric goes into one of those. I really enjoyed reading about Georgiana and have yet to see the movie. Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A lovely estate filled with treasures. And I would be gazing at the fountain in today's post a lot, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wait until you see the Christmas ones I took. I had to smile at the empty bath as when I went Mr Mole from Wind in the Willows was having a bath in it. And the beautiful bed was occupied by a snoring Mr Toad. I have also read your post on the fountain. Did you get wet? I certainly did as the wind changed direction!! Beautiful posts full of memories. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx