Wednesday, 16 September 2015

September Mantel

As I have commented to several of you, I am not yet in autumn mode!  Once we hit this time next week I will give into it, but until then, I am still in summer!!

That of course presents a dilemma for Septembers Mantel.  Go autumn, stay summer, or do something else.  Having had some summery mantels I thought that I would do something totally different this month.

So, I give you my September Mantel.  On a car theme!  It is for Hubby.  He is a big fan of cars and in particular hot rods which you might have noticed from some of my car posts from time to time.  Hubby is very patient with my decorating efforts, so I wanted to do something for him this month.



Do you remember those shiny circles of crochet I showed you a few weeks ago?  Well this is what they turned into.  I hope that you can recognise them as wheels!  I know that wheels are a bit odd for a garland, but they do go well with the theme of cars don't they.  Hubby tells me that they are Cragar 5 spokes, but you knew that of course didn't you....  No, me either!


The now obligatory sideways mantel shot.



All of the cars are from Hubby's collection, so other than the yarn for the wheels, nothing bought this month and we all need a little yarn from time to time don't we!  I think that the rest of the silver yarn will make some lovely snowflakes as it is quite stiff so they should work well.  As for the rest of the black, well, you never know when you might need a pair of beady eyes or something do you!


Hubby always tries to buy a car from wherever he travels.  So, the top one is from Germany, the middle from an American trip and the bottom from a trip he made to Japan.


Voila!  One Boys Mantel for September!


I hope that I have inspired you to have a go at refreshing your own mantel.  If you don't have a mantel how about dressing up your coffee table or a shelf somewhere.  Or your kitchen windowsill?

Next month we will be in full autumn mode for Halloween!  I am already planning.

You can see the previous months mantels here:-


Happy mantel decorating!

********************

Thank you all again for your wonderful comments on my seaglass shawl!  You are really so very kind.  Sorry that I am just not able to reply or comment so much right now.  I will be back to normal next week.  Nothing to worry about, just time, or lack thereof!

Amy

42 comments:

  1. My fire surrounds are not pretty at all, but I do have deep windows, perhaps I should cast an eagle eye over them. Your seaglass shawl in awesome but I could not try it at the moment. The pictures from Castle Drogo are fabulous, the jelly moulds took me straight back to my childhood, there was a collection of them on a corner shelf in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a refreshing change, my husband was impressed he is a fan of classic cars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay - one for the boys! I love your wheels - how clever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of brownie points earned there Amy!!!! Maria xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet your hubby was thrilled to see all his treasures on show topped off with your lovely wheels. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. A novel idea and I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a fun mantle this time Amy. My husband collects lorries so perhaps I could do something similar xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew those were Cragar 5 spokes - doesn't everyone know that? (I'm lying as I'm sure you can tell! LOL) It's a great mantel. I bet your hubby is pleased! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a fabulous idea! i don't have a mantel but why, indeed, let that stop me?

    the car theme is quite brilliant - i'm sure your hubs was delighted with it! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clever idea, Amy. Way to go! You are starting something here!

    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant!! I bet your hubby is delighted :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving the boys' mantel - I'm sure my husband would approve! I don't have a mantel but I quite like the idea of a seasonal windowsill - watch this space! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. such a boy idea!!!
    great mantel!!!
    Miss xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your Mantel Amy and what a nice collection of cars. I have a very similar fire surround so maybe I will try and decorate it. Joan at www.aviewtothefells.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely Amy. I really love this idea, my mantle is usually decorated seasonally but I love the idea of trying something different.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea, Amy. I say it every time but I really should do something similar. My mantel currently hosts a small pile of DVD's, a yankee candle , a hairbrush and some sunglasses - nothing as inspired as yours. X

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's such a fun mantel and one I'm sure your hubby approves of.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My husband and now son are both car enthusiasts too. We have SO many model cars ... many of which are still in the box and stuffed into the crawlspace or on a three-tiered shelf just for that purpose in the basement!! Cars, cars, cars! Your mantel is perfect, and I just love that crocheted wheel garland. I think I'd like a set of those on my own car ;) Have a great day Amy!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely as always, Amy, and the little cars are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love it, really different and such a good idea. Those wheels are inspired xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, I love it, Amy! My hubby's big into cars, too. Is there a pattern for the wheels? Very cool model cars.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a super idea, my husband would love this mantel, heck, I love this mantel.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love that you decorate your mantle every month! What a beautiful way to bring your family together! And I love how September is for your husband! =) Lovely Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looks great. Those little wheels are very effective. Our mantle rarely changes. Must do something about that.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great idea, like the wheels. I bet your hubby loves your September mantel:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great minds (sort of) think alike Amy. Last night I went up to my son's room and found his small die-cast model spitfire and a model mosquito too, both of which have been gracing my mantelpiece since. I especially love spitfires and remember seeing a fantastic display over Poleseden Lacey many years ago when we bought our son the model. Nowadays we often see spitfires, most recently over Bosham as part of a wedding celebration this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good idea for your mantle, not summer, not Fall, but a fun one for hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think you have a happy hubby now ! What an original idea !! Great, those crocheted wheels !

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the wheel garland! And what a good idea to do a mantel that is neither summer or autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  30. That is a delight, Amy! What a lovely idea. I often wondered what husbands/male partners made of all the people who do craftwork and filled their homes with ditsy bits and bobs thought of it all? Or homes filled by grown women with teddy bears and dolls or painted in various shades of pink throughout? Nothing wrong with ditsy bits and bobs if that is what you're into, but I did wonder whether all the chaps might feel a bit side-lined at times and now you've devoted your September mantel to cars, albeit model ones! I think it's a lovely idea!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a whimsical mantel! It really is fun and I love that you did it for your husband. The wheel garland is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Amy what a lovely idea to do a mantel for your hubby. Love the crochet wheels. My husband still has hundreds of matchbox cars but all played with not in boxes.
    Rosezeeta x

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a great idea. Hubby's cars live in a glass cabinet and you may guess that we've a lot of Morris Minors. The best we bought was an ice cream van when we were in the UK once. Yes, boys and their toys. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  34. My very first car had Cragar Mags. (and your hubby will appreciate this ---- a HURST shifter) --- Cute crocheted wheels!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Gentlemen start your engines!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What fun! Love the brilliant wheels.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  37. So stinking cute!!! Love the wheel banner!!! Your Hubby's collection is a nice one! Hubby has several of his cars he put together as a kid. Boys and their toys!

    ReplyDelete
  38. This actually made me giggle Amy! I think this is probably the sweetest thing I've ever seen!! What a wonderful idea to do an ode to your hubby for this mantle (especially if you're not in Fall mode yet). It's just brilliant, and adorable, and that wheel garland is the cutest thing I've ever seen!!
    Great job you lovely Wife you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  39. I think this is adorable Amy, and actually very thoughtful of you to do this for your husband. The wheels are very clever too. X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx