Sunday, 20 September 2015

Reading my books - Wanderlust

My reading seems to have stepped up a pace!  The eagle eyed will have noticed that I only posted a book review last Sunday and here I am today with another.  It has taken me more than a week to read the book I am talking about today, but not too much!  So the read my books project seems to be working!


Another of the Danielle Steel books from the pile that I was given, and one that I enjoyed. 

I don't know if you read books by this author, I started reading them many decades ago and I used to really enjoy them.  Now I find that I can take them or leave them more.  The still feature similar themes and places, especially places that are familiar to me in San Francisco and that part of the world.  However, I feel that the stories have changed and are not, in my opinion as good as they were.

Also I know that many of you are not a fan of this author, and I can understand why.  However, I think that this one was a little different.  My view of reading also is that it is better to read something than nothing.  We cannot all be reading the highest literature all the time can we!

This book was written some 20 years ago and harks back, to me at least, to the sorts of Danielle Steel books that I remember.  So I would give this book a big thumbs up!  It was an interesting story, with some history thrown in, was based mainly in Europe with a smattering of San Francisco thrown in along with travels to other places in the world - as the title suggests.

Even if you are not a regular fan of this author I think that you would enjoy this book.  It has history and a feeling of being a real story somehow.

So, what is this great story.  The book centres around Audrey Driscoll and her sister Annabelle and later she comes to meet Charlie.  Audrey and Annabelle were orphaned as young children and went to move in with their grandfather who bought them up.  Audrey though really ran the household and bought up her sister.  As Annabelle marries and leaves home Audrey evaluates her own life and sees that the time has come for some travel and adventure to satisfy her wanderlust spirit.

Audrey's travels take her to many places around the world.  In some ways what happens is expected, but in others, could not have been foreseen at all.  For Audrey or the reader of the book.

A journey to China has a life changing outcome for Audrey and she has to deal with what happens after that.

I will not tell you any more, other than if you read it you will enjoy it!

Next on the list is either another Danielle Steel - a much newer one - or the newest Bridget Jones Diary book.  A bit of a toss up as to which one to choose.  I think that I might catch up with some of my magazines before I start the next one!

You can read my other reviews from earlier in the year by clicking the pictures of the books in the sidebar on the right of this page.

********************

Update 6.40 pm 20/9/15

I just read of the death today of novelist Jackie Collins after noting a remark in one of the comments on this post.  Jackie Collins' works were probably viewed in the same vein as Danielle Steel's by some people, but they gave great entertainment to many of us over the years and it is sad to hear of the death of a well known writer.

Amy

25 comments:

  1. I'm very impressed with your book reading. I admire your determination and look forward to reading your reviews. I have had a book at my bedside for months now. I've even forgotten how it began so will have to recap. I'm hoping once my little girl is in her own bedroom (hopefully very soon) I can enjoy some early nights and read something other than blogs on my phone. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any Danielle Steel book's for years now. I used to enjoy them but in the end just found them unsatisfying and too formulaic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed the book Amy I have read a few of her novels but didn't really enjoy them however if I do come across this one I will give it a go because of your review. I have quite a few books which were given to me as gifts and even though I wouldn't have bought them for myself I'm trying to read them but I'm finding it hard going with some especially the one I'm reading now it's one advantage is it's so boring it sends me off to sleep after just a couple of pages great for my insomnia haha :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another one ticked off the list! Your pile of books is going down. Maybe you should read them in order of thickness then the pile won't seem so big! Have a good Sunday. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get truly ratty if not able to read! My To Be Read pile grows apace and I have at least two books 'on the go' at any one time, usually a novel and some non-fiction (social history, biography, letters, diaries ...) I recall once, many years ago, a relative visited from abroad and only wanted to either play board games of an evening, or watch TV, while all I wanted to do was get back to my book and it would've been rude to sit there reading in front of her, so for two whole weeks I didn't read and it was truly awful. The newspaper and blogs are find, but they're not books ... so well done on picking up a book again, and losing yourself in a good story.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always been a bookworm, I can get through 4 books in a week for a while then go 2 or 3 weeks and not pick one up. I have not read her but do read "chick lit" or chewing gum for the brain as I call them, I really enjoy crime and thriller, whodunnits and am not adverse to some sci fi and fantasy. If I find a book that I can not click with in the first few pages I will put it down for a week and have another try. Sometimes you have to be in the right place for an author, I have a Helen Lederer and an Ali McNamara that are on hold at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This does sound a good one-I have read several of her books and they are usually great. What is so wonderful about reading is that you can explore far away places without ever leaving the comfort of home! Reading is so therapeutic as well...have a lovely week xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's no wonder you have such little time to read and need to grab the opportunity. I've just caught up with all your posts and don't know when you have time to breathe let alone read lovely lady! It's good you can curl up though and lose yourself in books. Take care and have a lovely Sunday xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do try to vary my reading otherwise I think I'd just read the same kind of books all the time and there's so much out there to explore. I may have to add this to my ever growing list, thanks for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not much of a Danielle Steele fan, but i can certainly see the appeal of her books. I like it when a book goes to a place I know, it helps involve me in the story. And of course when they go to places I've never been it gets me to thinking about traveling there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was late to the Danielle Steel party when I was younger, and she's not one I ever read by choice, but it is interesting to read works from a few years ago and see what they're like now. I usually read Jilly Cooper if I'm in need of raunchy mid 80's steam.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It DOES sound interesting, Amy! You're right when you say we can't all be reading great works of literature all the time! Ha!
    Sometimes I read the romance novels advertised in Victoria magazine and laugh at myself because the two I have read were sort of over the top and lusty! Alas, it's all about stories, right?
    Thanks for a review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I simply adored her non fiction book HAVING A BABY. You should read it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Reading is such a lovely activity. I usually have several books on the go. It's a nice idea to review them on your blog. Glad you're finding the time to read them- it really is time well spent xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't remember ever having read any Danielle Steel, but I do read plenty of other light and fluffy books. There's lots of heavier books I can't get in to and I think life's too short to worry about that, I say read what takes your fancy. Very sad news today about Jackie Collins, I remember reading a few of her books in my teens.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have read several of her books and have mixed reviews. I actually prefer to watch the ones that have been made into films, which is unusual for me I usually prefer the book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've only read a couple of Danielle Steel's novels, but I guess since I didn't keep them, I didn't enjoy them that much. You've made this one sound interesting though! I've never read Jackie Collins' stuff. It was sad to hear of her death, she had a lot of fans.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  18. I read Danielle Steele's first few novels when they came out. I enjoyed them when I was young. When she started churning out too many books and they were all the same, I stopped reading them. Glad to hear you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't think I've ever read any "highest literature"! I sometimes think I should and then I think "Na, I'd rather read (or re-read) another Nora Roberts!" :oD

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh...I had not yet heard that news. I've not read her books nor Danielle Steele's. Not my genre, but I am glad that you have found some stories to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I didn't realise Jackie Collins had died, I heard her on the radio only the other day. Glad you enjoyed the Danielle Steel book, she was one of my mother-in-law's favourite authors xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I read this way back when I was in college...a very long time ago. At that time, I had just discovered Danielle Steel books, and enjoyed reading her stories. I just couldn't put them down, and I would sure I wouldn't miss her made for tv movies based on some of her books. I have tried reading books by her lately, but I just can't seem to get into them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I used to read Danielle Steel years ago, too. Sometimes I see her books at the thrift store - I will look for this one. I am on a book diet because I have such a back-log.......he he. Thanks for the review! x Karen

    ReplyDelete
  24. About 20 years ago I couldn't get enough of Danielle Steel novels but I haven't read any for a long time until now. Sitting on my bedside cabinet is which I think must be her latest book called Country. I was in the library on Friday and saw this on the new books stand. I am going to start reading it this evening. Joan at www.aviewtothefells.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the tip - I'm going to find a copy of Wanderlust . . .

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx