Sunday, 13 September 2015

Reading My Books - Evil Under The Sun

I am still progressing with my read my books project and a few weeks ago I finished another one.  Evil Under The Sun by Agatha Christie.


I have watched different television adaptations of this book, but never actually read the book before.  I am happy to report that I enjoyed the book, and that the TV adaptations stuck mostly to the plot of the book which was a pleasant surprise as they can sometimes veer off course can't they.

The story takes place on an island, which those in the know will know to be Burgh Island.  You can read more about it here if you are not familiar with it. 

Various couples come to stay on the island, including the infamous Hercule Poirot, a murder takes place - of course! - and has to be solved.  Who could it be, which of the men did it.  Or was it one of the women, or someone else.  Is someone being framed, is someone being protected.  Alibis and false directions abound.  Is the killer the most obvious person or not.  A case of misdirection perhaps?

There were a few minor asides that I really didn't think necessary, but on the whole the book stuck to the plot well and it was a good story!  Recommended for anyone to read and enjoy.  It is a bit of fun and not gruesome in any way I though - although it does of course contain a murder!

I could picture this all very well in my head, but that may well have been due to the fact that I have watched the TV adaptation of this with Peter Ustinov several times!!  So I think I was imagining that.  Peter Ustinov himself didn't make the most convincing Poirot in my opinion, but that adaptation was a good one - also starred Dame Maggie Smith before she was a Dame.

I enjoyed this more than the other Agatha Christies that I have read.  If I didn't have so many books which mean that I will be passing this one on to the charity shop, I would read it again if it were on my shelf.

The next book is a Danielle Steel which should be a fairly light and easy read, we will see when I report back!

You can read my other reviews from earlier in the year by clicking the pictures of the books in the sidebar on the right of this page.

Amy

17 comments:

  1. I love Agatha Christie. Great post, thank you so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I have ever read any of the Agatha Christie books, have seen plenty of TV adaptations over the years. Glad they haven't changed the plots too much that always spoils it for me when that happens. Some of the Geraldine McEwan Marples were changed from those of the original Miss Marples the name of the actress escapes me but D always tells me that's what I am going to look like when I get older with a crochet hook or knitting needles in my handbag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agatha Christie novels were the first "grown up" books I read when I moved from children's to adult fiction. I think I went through every single one our library had at the time but I don't remember much about them now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm enjoying working my way though all of Agatha Christie's books, they're a good read and often have good twists along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Agatha Christie. Do you know she is buried in my village?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never read any AC books. I'm not sure what it is that keeps me away from them. I don't watch any of the adaptations either, again not sure why I stay away. Glad you are hitting your pile(s) of books :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. As Mitzi mentioned, I don't think I've read an Agatha Christie book either. I used to be an avid Danielle Steele reader in my 20s. Not so much anymore. I've got a pile of books I need to make my way through at some point. Good luck with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you were nice and comfortable as you read this cozy mystery. Danielle Steel? She's not for me. I'd skip that one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never really read any mystery books before, but I am sure, if I chose to start, she would be the author to start with! I know my mom has a stack of her books - I'll grab a few for the upcoming wint'ry book reading season!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Agatha Christie, will have to read this book, I think I would enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore Agatha Christie! Danielle Steele? NOOOOOOOOO!!!
    HA! Take care and happy reading! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Amy - I enjoy reading Agatha Christie. I used to read loads of Danielle Steele but haven't for a while. At the start of the year I took a challenge called 26 books in the year which I think I will achieve. Joan at www.aviewtothefells.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like one I would enjoy. I just finished a Miss Marple mystery by this author and loved it! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  14. Should you need a rest from reading Agatha Christie, Radio 4 are broadcasting 3 Miss Marples starting 11:30 on Wednesday with June Whitfield in the title role. The first one is Tape-Measure Murder. I've never heard of it. Glad you enjoyed your book though. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for highlighting this, I read this AC book a while ago.and really enjoyed it, so should be worth a listen.

      Delete
  15. Oh, I used to just love the TV adaptation of this! The plot is wonderful, it all fits together so beautifully and neatly. I don't know if I've ever actually read the book. I must rectify that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I realize this is a bit funny - I'm reading your blog about "Evil Under the Sun" and all i can truly focus on is the sidebar Veggie Pasta Bake . . hmmm . . . this MUST be a great sign. Happy Day to You!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx