Wednesday, 30 September 2015

Reading my books - Bridget Jones Mad About The Boy

Wow, this blog break thing has worked wonders for my reading!  Although I did start reading this latest read in the car on the way back from holiday.

Today I finished another book.  My October read and we are not even in October yet.  That means that I have read 11 books this year and have nearly finished listening to another.  For me, that is a massive amount of book reading compared to the last few years.  This project of selecting six books at a time is really working for me and is much easier than facing the whole giant pile all at once.

The read my books project is going very well so far!

The book I finished today is the third in the Bridget Jones series by Helen Fielding, Mad About The Boy.


I am not totally sure where the last book left off, or the last film for that matter.  However, Bridget has indeed been married to Mark Darcy and has had two children with him.  Billy and Mabel (aged seven and five respectively).  It is giving nothing away to say however that sadly, Mark is no longer alive.   

In her own special way Bridget is trying to get back into life once again and is ready to start dating again.  Of course everything has changed since she fell in love with Mark.  Texting and Twitter, plus all of those dating sites!  You never know who or what might turn up on those.

By the end of the book it has all come together though and things are once again rosy in Bridget's life and you feel happy for her that things have come full circle and life is good.

This book is the usual round of ups and downs, trials and tribulations, hilarious laugh out loud moments that will have you sobbing if you are not careful you will laugh so hard.  Bridget is struggling with Twitter, no one wants to follow her, and then all of a sudden she has 50,000 followers, then poof! they all disappear.  The spambot has taken them away!  I know how she feels, my Twitter followers go up and down all over the place, some days there are lots and then I go back to about 35 or so.  I could totally relate!  Not that I have ever had a spambot bring me 50,000 followers!!

Usually my finished books go straight to the charity shop bag, but this one will stay.  Not that I have a place for it on the shelf right now, but as I am only two books away from the selection of the next six I think that I can wait and then tuck it in somewhere.  At this stage for me to be keeping a book, it has to be a good read and this most certainly is!

If you have read the other books, seen the films, or not, you can pick this up and enjoy it and laugh and be transported away from your normal life to a happy and funny place.  Do I recommend it?  Oh yes!  Can you not tell that already!!

Oh, and if you are a fan of the films, a little internet searching has revealed that the newest film has started filming and the main filming starts in London in October.  Something to look forward to for us Bridget Jones fans!

Next on the list is another Danielle Steel - sorry those who are not keen on her books!  I have loads of them to get through - then I am on to something a little higher brow with another Persephone book.

You can read my other reviews from earlier in the year by clicking the pictures of the books in the sidebar on the right of this page.  I have though sorted of bagged another blog name for a book blog, but I am tossing around the idea of doing it or not, so at the moment the blog is deleted.  What do you think of the book reviews being on another blog?  I know that is what several of you do.  How do you find it works for you?  I would be interested to know if you have the time to share.

Amy

19 comments:

  1. I tried reading the original Bridget Jones many years ago and found that it just wasn't for me, but the best of luck reading this. I've never read Danielle Steel. Current reading (and I don't think I will be able to progress very far with it as I'm finding errors which should've been ironed out at the editing stage and simply things which are wrong just annoy - I know we can't always get things right, but while the story is not bad, the writing is poor. I would far rather have a simple story well written than a complicated story poorly written. For me the quality of writing is what matters the most.
    However, I've just taken delivery of two books which I do think I will enjoy: Edmund de Waal's latest book, The White Road, which is the story of porcelain, and Robert Arbor's Joie de Vivre, which is about the French way of life (with lots of lovely recipes thrown in!)
    Re your question about your book reviews, I think they are best kept on your main blog - if readers have to then go to another blog just for book reviews, they mightn't bother. I'm happy for your blog to remain just as it is. But I could be in the minority, and I wouldn't mind whichever you chose, to stick with it on here, or a separate blog.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read the other books and seen the films too but I haven't fancied this latest book, I'm not sure why. Perhaps after this glowing review I may change my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another book to look out for at the library! I'm quite happy for your book reviews to remain as part of your main blog. I love seeing what other people enjoy reading and recommendations are always helpful. Enjoy the sunny weather. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the first 2 books and saw the films, liked the books, liked the first movie,absolutely hated the 2nd movie, so I was doubtful about reading the new book, now I feel better about getting it, thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saw the film with my daughters but really didn't fancy the book, now that I have read your review if I come across it I may pick it up. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What, no Colin Firth? On dear! I hope you weren't driving home! I quite like seeing your books on here, I don't think I would particularly look for a book blog as I have so many books to get through too. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to see that you are making progress with your reading and, most importantly, enjoying it. A break from the normal routine can be eye-opening in finding out what else you can do with your time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to hear you are reading so much - well done.

    luvirne
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a big reader of books, Amy, so I doubt I'll be enjoying that any time soon. I'm just pleased you took the time to read it and were able to relax and enjoy it. X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look at you go, good reader! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are doing better than me! After getting through five in August I didn't even finish two last month.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes ... it's good to have a break and catch up on reading!

    Happy 1st October

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. i am not sure if you know but i have 2 blogs ... i have my travel blog which is E. Lizard Breath Speaks & i just felt i couldn't write all that i wanted on there ... i wanted to share more so i have a 2nd blog called Hike2Forty and beyond ... & that is where I share my love for books, as well as lots of goodies. things i buy. movies i love. on a 3rd blog i share with Sally we have a InSPIREd Sunday, where we share churches all around the world on Saturday through Monday. it is fun sharing ... you just have to want to share & the time to share. i wish you well ... i think you should do it ... another blog ... but i think you have to understand it does take time & energy. i love it for a way to get the creative juices running & keep on sharing things with folks who love what you love. fun!! have a great weekend. i will look into this book. i love reading. i am reading several books right now. are you on Goodreads? ( :

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is good to get lost in a book. Now I did watch the first movie. Such is my ignorance that I had no idea that there were sequels or additional movies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amy-- that's pretty impressive to read a book a month!! That could never happen for me.. 1. I read too slow. 2. I only read for a few minutes at night when I'm in bed. I wish I had more time for reading. There's a world of books on my list to read!!

    Xoxo
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am in the minority of peeps who have never read the books or seen the films, no reason, it just did not happen. Now that I have read your review I will be on the look out for them. I like a trilogy read one after the other. A separate blog is a good idea but may put pressure on you to read more. I have added a recipe blog, mainly because I could not fathom out how to add a page. It does provide me with a sort of memory board, it is easy for me to forget what I did to a specific recipe 3 months down the line.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so glad you liked the book, I enjoyed it so much and you are right parts of it make you just laugh out loud and we all need that. I will read it again that is for sure because I think things will be just as funny the second time around.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Bridget Jones and read this book a while ago. I didn't realise there was going to be a film, how fab! X

    ReplyDelete
  19. I read the first Bridget Jones book and thoroughly enjoyed it as I did the films. Thank you for the recommendation, will add it to my virtual reading list.

    Well done on reading 11 books so far this year, glad to hear that breaking them down into smaller piles has helped. I love reading but never seemed to find the time, so set myself a reading challenge at the beginning of the year - 15 books. I am currently reading book 13, so on target.

    I currently write my book reviews on a blog with a group of reviewers. But for the last 6 months I am the only one who has bothered to write any reviews, so I am somewhat disheartened. As such it has left me toying with the idea of setting up a blog just for my book reviews too.

    Angela - Garden Tea Cakes and Me

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx