Thursday, 17 September 2015

Ode to Autumn

We bloggers are funny creatures aren't we.  Whichever part of the world, and in either hemisphere, we all seem to welcome the coming of autumn with open arms and with more joy than we seem to greet any other season.


Autumn has always been my favourite season of the year.   I am not big on being very cold in winter and don't like driving in snow.  In the summer it can get too hot and sticky for me.  Spring is great, but I feel driven to get on and "do".  Whereas autumn seems like a time for winding down, the temperature is good and it is a settling in and yet a new beginning too.


I guess that the new beginning part comes from it being the start of a new school year in England which is where I always went to school.  New pens and pencils, uniform, new potential.  A new beginning.  It seems counterintuitive in some ways, but many of us feel the new start of September.


There is the debate about the start of autumn though.  Is it the first of September, or do we wait until the autumnal equinox which this year is the twenty third of September.


This year we hardly seem to have had a summer with all of the rain in August, so I have been holding off September and autumn in my mind for now, but I see the signs starting to creep in all around us, little things gradually here and there.  The ripening of berries, changing colours of the leaves and the cooler morning temperatures.


We haven't yet put the heating on, but it will come.  I try and stave it off for as long as possible.  The blankets will come out too and be wrapped around us in the evenings as we sit and watch television, or in my case do some crafting.  Which isn't always easy in a blanket!


So although I am not ready yet for autumn, I know it is coming so I will start to prepare!


To get me in the mood I read this beautiful poem by John Keats called To Autumn.  I love the words and it sums up so many of the wonders of autumn for me.

To Autumn
by John Keats

Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness!
Close bosom-friend of the maturing sun;
Conspiring with him how to load and bless
With fruit the vines that round the thatch-eaves run;
To bend with apples the moss'd cottage-trees,
And fill all fruit with ripeness to the core;
To swell the gourd, and plump the hazel shells
With a sweet kernel; to set budding more,
And still more, later flowers for the bees,
Until they think warm days will never case,
For summer has o'er-brimm'd their clammy cells.

Who hath not seen thee oft amid thy store?
Sometimes whoever seeks abroad may find
Thee sitting careless on a granary floor,
Thy hair soft-lifted by the winnowing wind;
Or on a half-reap'd furrow sound asleep,
Drowsed with the fume of poppies, while thy hook
Spares the next swath and all its twined flowers;
And sometimes like a gleaner thou dost keep
Steady thy laden head across a brook;
Or by a cider-press, with patient look
Thou watchest the last oozings hours by hours.
 
Where are the songs of Spring? Ay, where are they?
Think not of them, thou has thy music too,
While barred clouds bloom the soft-dying day,
And touch the stubble-plains with rosy hue;
Then in a wailful choir the small gnats mourn
Among the rover sallows, borne aloft
Or sinking as the light wind lives or dies;
And full-grown lambs loud bleat from hilly bourn;
Hedge-crickets sing; and now with treble soft
The readbreast whistles from a garden-croft;
And gather swallows twitter in the skies.

So it might already be autumn, or it might not be here for a few more days yet, who can tell, but I will enjoy the coming of the season and all that it will bring.  I will also enjoy the promise of new things yet to come!

Amy

All photos in this post are from my archive

39 comments:

  1. Lovely post... I agréé with you about autumn and I love this season. Here, signs of fall are everywhere too and the colors start to be so bright ... have a nice end of the week !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that poem too Amy. And I agree...autumn is the best of all the seasons!
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colours of autumn, but spring is my favourite season, when everything comes back to life after the winter. We have had the heating on several times - mostly in the mornings, which have been rather chilly!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Autumn but sadly we don't see it here. No trees changing colors. Slowing down happens in the summer when it is too hot to do anything. And since our growing season is winter/spring which will come later in the year, things are starting to gear up rather than settle down. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with every word - autumn is the season for me. I'll go for the equinox; it is so hot and humid here still that even though the quality of light is changing daily I refuse to accept that this is the long awaited autumn :-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm waiting a bit longer for Autumn! I do like your wreath, it looks really realistic x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whilst the heating system has not been put on, we have succumbed to lighting the stove late afternoon so we can sit around in comfort. Both my husband and I hate been cold. Not much of a summer this year, typical British weather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spring is wonderful as it heralds in the gardening season, but Autumn means that the garden has filled my cupboards and freezer and serious crafting time is ahead. My Mum and Granny were the same, I suppose that I just grew into the same ways. My yarn is beside me with pins and hooks, fabric is waiting and sewing machines have been cleaned and serviced, winter, bring it on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the wreath. I think autumn is my favourite too, although I always think it starts when the schools go back. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful poem, and some great photo's.
    Your wreath looks great, just perfect Autumn colour.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nooo, I can't embrace autumn, it means we're heading in to winter and I really don't like winter. I'm a summer girl so I keep hold of that for as long as possible so I won't admit to it being autumn until after the autumnal equinox.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I tend to jump up and down when September 1st arrives, however I will be out on the fens on the 22nd to watch the sun go down on the last day of Summer. I am very much an autumn lover and enjoy the colours so much more of the season than any other. I noticed that they were harvesting the pumpkins fields the other day which really made my heart sing! Have a wonderful day xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it's been creeping in a bit earlier than usual, definitely a dampness in the air. You're so right about the winding down, I love the cosy evenings xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that poem - it's one of my favorites. It's words spring to mind each and every autumn. I'm an autumn equinox girl so for me autumn officially starts in 5 days time :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely autumn photos, Amy! You've almost, but not quite, made me change my mind. I still feel it's the dying of the year, I don't feel at all energized by that, but I adore spring and love the light colours, the dawn chorus, the brightness and lightness in the air. Mind you, I love planting the autumn bulbs with their promise of spring. Today I'm a little bit energized because I'm cleaning and cooking and baking ... yes, and reading your blog!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love autumn and how, just with a sniff, you know it's here. I'm actually a lover of winter, too. The colder the better for me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Our heating has come on itself a time or two already - mostly in the mornings when the temperature is a bit nippy. I do understand the beginning of a new year being in September. Newly sharpened pencils in a new (or old one washed) pencil case, all those new jotters and text books. Fab! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your thoughts on Autumn are the same as yours. It's a cosy inward looking season.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, I think we're all ready! GREAT poem! Keats!
    Thanks, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great post Amy, Love the wreath on the door and the berry pictures!xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amy, we are still very hot in Texas, so autumn may not even be here at the equinox! We need rain, the yards are turning brown from the excessive heat and drought. But with spring they will all bounce back as they always do. So Spring really is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Our summers are always so hot, rain or no rain, that I long for autumn. It's still summer here, they're saying 90º on Sunday. So I'm praying for autumn to start soon.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love autumn it truly is my very favourite season although I do wait until my birthday to celebrate it properly. I like this little pre autumn time too. I saw some lovely autumn decorations in TK Maxx the other day I haven't succumbed yet though!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is always the great debate isn't it. I tend to go with the meteorological one and therefore Autumn starts 01.09.15. That's when the leaves start to change and by the 23rd you know Autumn is definitely here. I have always preferred Autumn to any other season. Spring and Summer are full of colour but I think Autumn has the most spectacular colours don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  25. One of my favourite poems...despite me being a summer person. Autumn looks very pretty, but it's a ploy to lull you into a false sense of security... then BAM! winter hits.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful pictures which made me think of freshly sharpened pencils...I think of fall as the beginning of school! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a lovely post Amy! I don't really have a favourite season - they all have their advantages and disadvantages but I have to say I do not like the darker evenings, I feel I am forced to spend so much more time indoors and at heart I am an outdoor person.But I agree with Mitzi, autumn has such beautiful colours and I love watching the leaves change colour.
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I enjoyed reading that poem. I also enjoy Autumn.. the golds, yellows, rusts and oranges are so warming. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely post an beautiful poem! I love Autumn, but I prefer Spring, with its promise of new beginings. It's very hot here right now, and I am looking forward to Autumn proper.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Amy - fall is my favorite season, too! Maybe it is because I was born in October and 2 of my children in September. I just love the beautiful colors, the memories of school days, the crispness in the air. Love your pretty wreath and flowers. A beautiful post - the poem is wonderful. Happy fall! xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  31. This post was just dreamy - from the pretty photos to the beautiful poem. You're such a Gal after my own heart. I'm completely with you in feeling like Fall is like a new start.Just love that. Blessings to you my Friend as we breeze even more into the season. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is a thoughtful post, Amy, thank you. For me, September is always the New Year and a time for fresh starts. But I am holding out for 21st for the beginning of autumn, you can't deny the orbit of the planet! And the Keats, one of my favourites. You are SO on my wavelength! x

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great post and wonderful photos. Autumn is my favorite season. I find I always wish for it, even before Summer is over.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lovely photo's Amy, I particularly like the autumn leave wreath on the door. I like autumn too x

    ReplyDelete
  35. yes, school has begun . . while speaking of doing good in the world, students are poking one another and carrying on loud, alternate conversations . . Fall is around the corner . . . love your post

    ReplyDelete
  36. Any-- beautiful photos of the blooms of autumn... I hate to see summer go.. But once I accept it as gone.. Then I truly to love and enjoy a beautiful Autumn. It's what comes next that I don't love so much!!

    Love
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  37. I like that poem too, though some lines more than others. September here has been lovely, Autumn has been a joy so far. Yes, I do think it is autumn now and not summer I guess!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx