Monday, 21 September 2015

Hollypops

Did you miss me?  I hope not because I managed to outwit any potential housebreakers so I hope I had you all fooled too!  We have been away on our hollypops to The Peak District.  It was a great holiday and you know of course that I will share more with you in the coming weeks.  Good job that I just got all the posts done from our last holiday isn't it.....  Oh, except that I still haven't finished with 2014 yet.....  Better get a move on then hadn't I.

Here is a little taster of what we got up to and where we went.


Rudyard Lake, via a little steam train.  Of course after my recent visit to see Rudyard Kiplings home I had to go and see the lake that he was named after as we were so close to it.


The beautiful Little Moreton Hall - even though it was pouring with rain which you can see in the picture it was still beautiful!


Visits to many - probably too many! - National Trust places.  Eyam Hall above, and Lyme Park below.




Chatsworth!  Oh yes, it was fabulous!  Well well well worth a visit!


Especially the water features.



Walks and strolls, and falling in love with Dovedale especially.  The river in early evening without any other visitors there.  Bliss!!!


The National Trust Museum of Childhood and Sudbury Hall - above and below.   The young lady in the striped top is called Sindy and she is the English equivalent of Barbie.  I had one that looked just like this and a very similar bathroom set for my Sindy.  Scarily we also had a bathroom suite of this same colour in our last house - and the one here was avocado green when we moved in.  It isn't now!


Full posts will follow.  Once I get the 1300+ photos sorted.  Yes.  I typed that correctly!  A lot of them are fuzzy and blurry though and I suspect that at least 500 are of sheep (or cows!) of passing hedgerows and no matter how much you love them you just don't need 500 blurry pictures of anything from one holiday do you.  Do you???? 

Oh, and don't worry, I will NOT be sharing all the photos with you, I fully expect to delete a lot of them before I even start.  Especially the awful attempts at selfies.......



See, blurry and cows - and blurry cows!


The weather was mixed to say the least, but that didn't stop us, off out and about we went regardless.



Of course crafting also happened in the evenings.  One thing nearly finished and another has been started - but once again I need more yarn!  How does this always seem to happen to me.  It is on order....  Full posts will of course follow.

Overall we had a great time.  With one teeny tiny little exception.  We went to a NT place - that no matter how cross I get or how much anyone asks, I am NOT going to name and I have not named it in this post - and had our first ever NT disappointment with exceptionally poor service from paid members of staff - not the volunteers I hasten to add.  It made me really sad, but made me appreciate all of the other great places and the people who work there and my own special place and colleagues even more, so I guess that is the positive takeaway from the situation.  I have raised a complaint to the highest sources and await a reply.  Just made me a little sad!  I have never had to report such a thing before.

Oh, and I got gastro too!  Eeeewww!!  Not at the disappointing NT place.  Before that.  Then somehow again afterwards.  Good news is I am all better now and I came home weighing the same as when I went.  Which is annoying because I got some really good step numbers in with my first ever day of going over 10,000 steps.  Better than putting weight on though isn't it.

Sorry about those last two bits.  Especially the very last bit.  You really didn't want to know that did you!  I will stop now.

So, that is the holiday which was.  More - yes, I know, more!!! - books were purchased and so were a couple of cross stitch kits.  One that scares the wotsits out of me as the fabric you work it on is so fine I cannot tell you.  A job for the summer with very good light me thinks.  Lots of good times had and great memories made.  What more could you ask for!

Hope that you have all been well and having fun over the last week, sorry that I didn't comment on your blogs, but I did have a sneaky read to see what most of you were up to and as usual you have all been very busy indeed!

Thank you all again for the wonderful comments about my shawl, you really overwhelmed me and were so kind!  Thank you!!!  Thank you too for your comments on my other posts and especially on Friday.  Normal service is now resuming today!

In the meantime I leave you with my favourite photo from those I have looked at so far.  A little calf with the cutest expression!


Amy

50 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely break. The peak district is such a picturesque part of the country

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home Amy sounds like a lovely trip and I'm glad you are feeling better. That photo of the cow is fabulous x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back (even though I didn't know you were away!) - sounds like you had a fab holiday and I'm looking forward to more piccies 😊 Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home, Amy! What a lovely time you have had, but it would've been better without the gastro (I had a bout yesterday - this is now a regular occurrence since having had my gall bladder removed!) and the NT property Which Will Not Be Named, where you had a less than wonderful time. Love the piccy of the calf and also the piccy from the Museum of Childhood. I wonder whether you also visited but haven't mentioned the Carlisle Collection of Miniatures Rooms at Nunnington Hall, Yorkshire? I love things in miniature and once saw the wonderful Queen Mary's Doll's House, designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens, in Windsor Castle. We are blessed in this country with so many wonderful things to see, aren't we? One of the best doll's houses (this is where they tend to put the apostrophe rather than dolls' houses) is at Uppark. What a lovely early autumn break for you.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely holiday you've had !! (Well, except for the gastro, that is...)
    Looking forward to see more pictures of cow and sheep ! I love them - sadly the Hubby is allergic to sheep so I can't keep a little flock. And cow, well, those are a little bit too big to keep as pets, aren't they ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you had a fabulous time, Amy and that you are feeling much better. I'm looking forward to seeing more photographs. What a shame about that one NT place. I guess we are so used to the excellent standard of service it must have been quite a shock and disappointment. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. You certainly packed a lot into your holiday. So glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had a lovely weekend apart from the bad service & gastro but you do sound rather perky about it. You can buy daylight craft lamps for your fine stitching I know I have one wrapped up ready for my birthday. Looking forward to a weekend update post x

    ReplyDelete
  9. sorry you were ill on your hols xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you enjoyed your holiday though a pity about the NT place and not being well. I'm well pleased if I come back from holiday and haven't put on any weight! I remember having a Sindy doll too - I used to make clothes for her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My kind of holiday! I'm glad you've had a good break and I look forward to hearing all about it. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking very much forward to seeing more photos of the wonderful places you visited.
    You can add some cow photos to every post; they have so beautiful eyes! :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds wonderful, in fact idyllic looking forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds like a wonderful holiday, apart from the bad experience with the NT and the illness. As you know, we had a day out in the same area recently and we visited at least one of the same places so I'm looking forward to reading your posts. Love the photo of the calf.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad to hear you had a great holiday - that Sindy doll bathroom set brings back memories, I had one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've been so close to me! I like your whizz-by blurry shot of Ramshaw rocks! I love Little Moreton Hall, I haven't been there for ages. Sounds like you visited some great places - did you make it over to Scarthin books for any book purchasing?!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks like you had a wonderful time. Looking forward to hearing more!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I found your blog through Linda, nice to meet you! Lovely pictures by the way. Best, Silvana

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad you had a good time - except for the bad NT thing and the gastro thing. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like a great holiday (apart from the gastro and the NT place!). I never realized that Kipling was named after a lake. Love the calf photo. xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pretty photos! It sounds like you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  22. All places I know and love! You were so close to where I live especially when you were at Dove Dale, Rudyard and Little Moreton Hall. So sorry to hear you have not been so well but glad you overcame it and had a great time regardless of the rain:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love that you have been traveling about. And I can handle 500 photos of sheep and cows, especially if they are that cute. Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds like you had a good holiday other than the poorly bit, looking forward to hearing about your travels
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  25. You outdo me in the photo collection from a holiday Amy! These photos have me very curious about what is to follow, so don't make us wait too long ;) Glad you had a marvelous trip, and enjoyed all but a little bit of it!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a lovely holiday it seems - despite the two setbacks. I hope the later two won't overshadow the memories of your holidays!

    The last pic is so adorable!!

    Take Are
    Anne
    Crochet Between Worlds

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the Peak District- a fab place to have a holiday. That last photo is super. Sorry to hear you've been poorly- great timing, eh? But glad you are better now. Poppy has left you a reply btw! xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sounds and looks like a beautiful trip Amy! Minus the NT and belly bug parts. Poor Honey.

    Keep rocking that fitbit. That's my Girl!!!
    Blessings on your week ahead dear Friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  29. I missed you like crazy!!! Yea, FitBit! You should friend-me via our FitBits! I'd love to keep up with you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sounds like you had a great time, already enjoying the photos and looking forward to seeing more, love the red cow, looks like a painting, um, wonder if I could talk Mac into it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. As a lover of cows, sheep and natural formations, I totally understand coming home with so many photos! Gosh, I believe my visit to the Lake District would have been decades ago ... but I remember how charming and scenic it was and am glad to see it still is!

    Thank you for the positive vibes on my quilt project ... I just finished attaching the batting and backing with only one wound to show for my efforts! It is a bit wonky shaped, but that is okay. Drizzly day here, so perfect inspiration for staying indoors and getting it done!

    Can't wait to see more cow pix xo

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a busy holiday you had Amy - I love the Peak District, and I do love Chatsworth and the Museum of Childhood too. Sorry to hear you were ill - glad to hear you are now recovered.
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Looking forward to seeing more photos from your holiday - and how cute is that calf!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sorry you've been ill twice Amy, that's no fun at all. I do hope you're all better now. Your holiday sounds absolutely wonderful nonetheless, it's a gorgeous part of the world. I had a lovely holiday there once, and visited Chatsworth too. Absolutely magnificent. Glad you had plenty of crafting time in the evening, it sounds like a good relaxing break. I shall look forward to seeing your photos and seeing if there is anywhere I recognise. Eyam rings a bell, but I went to the village, I don't recall a hall. I shall wait and see where you went! Glad you're home safely, and I hope you feel rested and restored. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. The Peak Dustrict is lovely, we had one of our first holidays there and have been back lots of times since. Looking forward to revisiting through your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi, first time stopping by at your blog. Such lovely pics you have from your holiday! Looks like you had a great time (apart from illness and bad service, sorry you had to deal with it).

    ReplyDelete
  37. Sounds like you packed quite a lot into your vacation. Welcome home! :-)

    Love the last photo of the calf. Quite a fuzzy one!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Shame about the poor service and sickness but it looks like you had a fab time regardless and packed lots in. Looking forward to hearing more

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi Amy,

    Looks like you had a wonderful holiday and I enjoyed seeing all your lovely photos.
    Got really excited to see the Sindy doll - I was lucky enough to have one when I was young and she was a much treasured doll.
    Thanks for visiting me and hope you have a lovely week
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  40. sneeking off were you, looks like a wonderful time I love Chatsworth, the Sindy doll reminded me of the Tressy doll she was the cheaper alternative, you could pull her hair while pressing her tummy button to make it long then wind it back in again with a key on her back :-)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Sindy reminds me of my Tammy doll...same hair. So sorry that you had a bad time at one of the NTs. Hope that you get some satisfaction from having reported it, which was exactly the right thing to do. Have fun sorting those pics.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wonderful photos . Looks and sounds like a great trip ! Thanks for sharing , have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  43. those waterfalls are amazing!! gorgeous!! love those architecture. i need to go see what you say about the book below ... i love reading too books. not really particular about the kind of book ... just a good book. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  44. Sounds lovely Amy !
    Abd what nice pictures :)))
    Hugs dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. So glad you had a getaway and a lovely time except for the rude workers. Don't quite get why people in an NT place would need to be rude. Sorry to here about your gastro problems. Never fun when you are traveling. I always take tons and tons of pictures. My family thinks I'm crazy but I always wind up deleting a bunch, too. That's the great thing about digital these days. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Brilliant Travel Post! So many great sights and things to learn about - AND - I really like your cutie-pie red calf . . . Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Shame about the NT property, but sounds like you had a very nice time otherwise X

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hi Amy, What a busy holiday! It seems the ups and downs of life follow whether on holiday or not. I hope you are feeling better and I love that you are able to focus more on the ups than the downs.
    I was thrilled to see a Sindy doll - I had one too that I absolutely adored. Sindy was much preferred over Barbie. Barbie never appealed to me - she was too long and skinny and weird looking - while Sindy had limbs that would bend and lovely accessories that were fun to play with. Many hours of happiness from Sindy in my childhood. Thank you for that reminiscence!
    Finishing a post with a cow picture is delightful. Cows are so full of personality. Love them! Thanks for a very interesting post, Amy. xx

    ReplyDelete
  49. Little Moreton Hall is lovely but then the higgledy-piggledy houses are by far my favourites. Your photo of Sindy brought back happy memories. My cousin had the bathroom set and the kitchen. I had the bedroom and dining room (and the horse!). We spent many happy hours playing with our Sindy dolls. I think mine is still in my parents attic! x

    ReplyDelete
  50. Oh I had a Sindy too, I loved her and moved into a house which had an avocado bathroom suite too. I am glad you had a good holiday, almost our neck of the woods, and that you are feeling better xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx