Friday, 18 September 2015

Five On Friday

You know that I love a good saying.  Today for Five On Friday I have quotes for you from Louisa May Alcott - plus a little bonus one!  You know that I love Louisa May Alcott so sayings and Louisa seemed like a good match for me!

“I want to do something splendid…
Something heroic or wonderful that won’t be forgotten after I’m dead…
I think I shall write books.”  

I have a dream that one day I will write a book.  I have tried to write several and got no further than a few pages.  I think that I lack the discipline, for discipline is certainly needed in writing.  I need it just to write my blog.  Someday I will settle down more to writing I hope because I really enjoy it, not so much because I want to be remembered as Louisa said! 

“I keep turning over new leaves, and spoiling them, as I used to spoil my copybooks; and I make so many beginnings there never will be an end. (Jo March)”  

I know this feeling!!  I turn over new leaves all the time.  Make plans, feel sure that I will stick to them and they fall by the wayside, just like falling leaves do in the autumn.  To me though that isn't always such a terrible thing.  I keep on getting back on the horse - as another saying goes! - and trying again.  I turn over yet another new leaf and move on and don't give up.  That is what counts I think.

“Conceit spoils the finest genius.”  

In literature a "conceit" is a metaphor to give deeper meaning to a comparison.  Does Louisa mean this?  Does she mean that by using a conceit in their writing they are not writing as well as if they just wrote what they had to say?  Or does she mean a conceited person, one who has a greater feeling of their own worth than is perhaps fitting for them?  Either way it is an interesting thought.

“Keep good company, read good books, love good things and cultivate soul and body as faithfully as you can”  

Surely a good thought for us all to bear in mind!  I think that I mostly keep good company and although there some that I come across that I would not always describe as such I do my best to be polite and then keep them at arms length!  I do try and read good books, although the list in my sidebar may not seem to reflect that!  Hopefully over time it will change.  As for cultivating the soul, well that is a lifetimes work for any of us isn't it!!

"Nothing is impossible to a determined woman.”  

I like this quote best of all I think - other than the next one which is just for fun really!  Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, but really that is all about determination isn't it.  Being determined to keep on, to keep going, and to see it through no matter what.  Determination is a bit like turning over the new leaves.  We have to keep going and keep turning those leaves over no matter what!


This one is a bonus!  It is a fridge magnet that I bought last year when we visited Orchard House Louisa's home - you can find my post by clicking Louisa's name in the labels at the end of this post.

I love this, it reminds me that no woman really thinks that housekeeping is the greatest thing, we do it because we need to, to keep our homes and families, but it certainly isn't a joke doing it is it!

These sayings are all - apart from the last one - are taken from here.

Last Friday was 9/11.  I wrote a whole post about it, more than once - see the first quote above in this post!  Then I decided that I just couldn't share it with you, it seemed to be trivial and yet too much at the same time.  Perhaps I am just not ready to share my memories of that day.  I wanted you to know though that I wasn't trying to ignore the day and I hope that my post reflected that.  There might be more to come, or not.  I am contrary like that.

I hope that you all have a great weekend!  Do go and read some more Five On Friday posts!

Amy

********************

Thank you - as always! - for joining in last week.  I look forward to reading your posts again this week too!  Remember, anyone is more than welcome to join in, read this bit below, go and visit the Five On Friday page and then write your own post and then come back here and link in!



If you want to grab a Five On Friday Button or get more information about how to join in the All About Five On Friday page will tell you all that you need to know.

The Five On Friday "opening hours" are from 6 am on Friday until 7 pm on Saturday.  Please include a link or the button to my Five On Friday post within your post, or to make reference within your post to the button if it is in your sidebar.  This is to be fair to everyone.

If you want to check out anything else about Five On Friday see the All About Five On Friday page - top right of my sidebar.

To visit other bloggers taking part, just click on the links at the end of the post.  Please do go and visit their lovely posts!

********************

41 comments:

  1. What a lovely post, I am a huge fan of quotes, and it's good to see some that I'm not familiar with. I really enjoyed Louisa May Allcott's books when I was a child, I'm sure I'd enjoy them again in fact. I know what you mean about the difficulty of writing things about such big subjects as 9/11. I have thoughts about one or two other topics that I haven't posted about, but that I could say quite a bit about. I hope you have a lovely weekend Amy. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Amy. It's always a joy to read your blog. I loved all the sayings you shared; especially the fourth one. You have perked my interest in Louisa' s home. I'm going to read about it. Have a wonderful weekend. Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Amy, I love all the quotes you shared with us today x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good quote too, especially like the determined woman one. Could be my motto! Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Amy. Some great words of wisdom to keep us going and thinking. Have a lovely weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Little Women is one of my favourite books! I especially love the determined woman quote, oh so very true! Have a great weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great quotes and thought provoking which is always nice. I emphasise with your inability to write about 9/11 I felt quite inadequate too. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good quotes. Love the fridge magnet especially have a wonderful weekend my friend. Meet up soon?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I particularly like the last quote! Thanks for sharing Amy, and have a lovely weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Housekeeping sure ain't no joke! she's hit the nail on the head there. Happy weekend, Amy, thanks for hosting Five on Friday! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the determined woman quote best too. Quotes are such useful things aren't they? Have a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like your five quotes. Like you, I am a great Louisa M Alcott fan, and would just love to visit her house one day! X

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful quotes and I agree wholeheartedly with that last fun one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great quotes, Amy. I like a good laugh so maybe that's why I only do the minimum of housework? :oD

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love sayings and quotes too. You shared some lovely ones this week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely quotations - especially the one about a determined woman! We're big Louise May Alcott fans here too I must 'google' her home. Have a great weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Amy, what an interesting collection of sayings. I certainly go for the determined woman one.... ;) xx
    Take care,
    Ingrid xx
    Myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Amy, I enjoyed the quotes. Thanks for hosting the fun party.
    Enjoy your day and weekend.
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your quotes and commentary this morning, Amy. Housework....Ugh! I have to start doing some this morning, and it seems like this week went by too quickly. It can't be Friday again already, can it?

    ReplyDelete
  20. A good quote is very useful to have in your arsenal!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello, Amy. My favourite of the six quotes is the the fourth one. I think we all need to be reminded of this every now and again, especially the last bit about cultivating one's soul. And I fully agree with the last one-- house keeping is no joke! X

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love quotes too and writing. I think we all turn over new leaves sometimes just to see what is underneath. I don't think it is a bad thing to look and explore a bit and then decide this leaf was not for you right now and move on the the next leaf... there are so many leaves after all! I want to explore as many interesting things as possible while on earth...
    Hugs and explore the weekend with joy and wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely quotes, Amy - I always remember silly things from books and plays that don't have any rhyme or reason to them for instance from Little Women the thing that sticks in my mind is 'is that a dagger I see before me?' 'no, it's a toasting fork with mother's slipper on it' Ah well, Agree with the fridge magnet quote too:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh - just love this Amy! I love Louisa May Alcott - and Little Women has to be one of the best books in the whole wide world!!

    I too thought about posting something on 9/11 - but I felt so inadequate in what I would say. I said prayers that day and acknowledged what day it was on some of my other social media...I think that's the most important part. That we never forget.
    Blessings for your weekend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your quotes Amy especially the determined woman. I fall by the wayside with plans as well. Love the fridge magnet. Joan at www.aviewtothefells.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. i like your quotes Amy, I've always admired Louisa May Alcott so I'm not surprised by them. My plans frequently fall by the wayside as life has a way of intervening.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely quotes Amy! Happy weekend!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love all of those, especially the magnet! I have managed to forget Five on Friday twice now, dang it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. oh, how i love all of those quotes!

    Little Women has to be one of my favourite books of all time -- i remember my mum giving me my copy when i was about 8 years old and as i was so very much devoted to reading ONLY books about ponies or The Famous Five, it went unread for over a decade...maybe two. :) When i finally got around to reading it i enjoyed it so very much....so much so, that i re-read it at least once a year. Earlier this year, when i lost my Nanna, it was one of the first books i turned to for a 'comfort' read.

    funnily, you're the second person to mention Louisa May Alcott this week....perhaps it's a nudge to dig up more of her books. :)

    have a wonderful weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Amy, I forget if I've asked you this before, but have you read Invincible Louisa by Cornelia Meigs?
    It's SO good!
    I like the quotes you chose. Maybe I'll link to Five on Friday next week.

    ReplyDelete
  31. “I want to do something splendid…
    Something heroic or wonderful that won’t be forgotten after I’m dead…
    I think I shall write books.”

    Yep, that fits me to a tee. Love that quote, so glad you included it today in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Well I would read your book! You provided interesting food for thought using Alcott's words to spring from. I do love a metaphor so hope that Louisa meant something else. Speaking of which, I learned something new today. I never knew the other meaning for a conceit. (It's so difficult to properly honor such a day as 9-11. A lot of us had that dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a good idea to share 5 quotations. I'm reading a great book on my Kindle (History of the Rain by Niall Williams) and I keep using the highlight tool as there are so many good lines. Perhaps I could share them here if I manage this week's Five on Friday. But first I must tackle a great deal of housework which certainly 'ain't no joke'. Will look out for that fridge magnet.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello Amy - I love the quotes you have chosen and your thoughts on the same! I certainly think that women do have determination and I can agree that housework is no joke! Life is messy - clean it up, that's my motto! My poor son-in-law's birthday is on 9-11. It certainly is a bittersweet day for us. Thank you for hosting and I hope your weekend is full of good things. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love the quotations Amy I can relate to most, I have started writing a book several times but it has never came to much you need discipline and most of all time with no distractions very hard to come by. Have a great weekend and thank you for hosting.:) xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Comment from the lovely Wendy at September Violets that I accidentally deleted. Sorry Wendy, but here it is anyway! xx

    Love these quotes Amy! "Nothing is impossible ..." makes you feel empowered! I often say quotes to myself throughout the day, but they're usually short and to the point. So "housekeeping ain't no joke" will stick with me through mopping floors and scrubbing toilets!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love all the quotes and I have always dreamed of writing a book, but I have no idea where to begin. Plus my grammar and spelling are atrocious. Love the last quote, it is priceless.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks for sharing the quotes. I enjoyed them and your comments.
    Keep trying writing a book. You can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I am a quote collector - mostly gardening and they always come in handy when writing an article or blog post. I used to keep my found quotes in a notebook but paid a granddaughter to type them up to a file on my computer. :-)
    My intentions were good to join you this week but Friday morning we woke up to a flooded basement due to a water softener malfunction and you know what hubby and I have been doing for two days.
    Thanks for hosting Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  40. 'Nothing is impossible to a determined woman' - I love that one, Amy. I always enjoy Louisa May Alcott/Jo March, still have so much insight to offer in our lives. Loved the books, ever since I was a kid. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx