Thursday, 10 September 2015

A walk around the September Garden

The garden is of course changing now as the time of year starts to change.  So it was time to add a few things in as well as to see what was still flowering and growing.  Yesterday I took my camera out for a little walk around to see what I could find.


We always buy one of those gorgeous giant chrysanthemums that you see in the autumn, I love the orangey yellow coloured ones best of all.  Although I can never get them to live through the winter they last for such a long time and don't really cost much more than a bunch of flowers, so I choose not to have some flowers and to enjoy this sight greeting me at the door as I come and go from the house instead.



Looking at the hedge I see that something has been eating the Photinia.  Obviously these leaves are a lot tastier than they look to me!


The hedge is Hornbeam and although it hasn't started to change colour yet, the newer leaves on the ends of the branches are a lovely colour aren't they, almost purple.  They then change to a darker green.


I showed you these berries the other day.  There have been birds eating them, but there are still masses left.


The grapes are starting to change colour.  After my scare with the vine earlier in the year when I thought it was going to die I am so happy to see these grapes changing colour.  We don't eat the grapes as they are not a dessert grape, but seem to be a wine grape and as we don't make wine we don't make use of them ourselves.  I should say that the vine was here when we moved in, otherwise we would have planted a dessert grape.  The birds love them though, especially the blackbirds and we are happy to leave the grapes for them to munch on.



I did also choose another chrysanthemum, this lovely pinky coloured one.  It has masses of buds yet to come on it as you can see so it should be a beautiful sight.



There are many other things in the garden doing well too as you can see, with lots of lovely pinky tones all around.



The Sedums are looking spectacular as they do at this time of year and the insects are really making the most of the flowers.



 




There are still some Penstemons flowering and the Verbena is also going strong too.  I do love these purple flowers and again they are a favourite with the insects.



Hubby has been busy making an extension to a border, or I should say more correctly joining two together.  He has planted various daffodil bulbs then added some Pansies, some Cyclamen and Wallflowers.


It should be really lovely in the spring.



Although the apples are dropping - the tree is far too high to pick them - they are as always inedible as they are very tiny and are as hard as rocks and sour as you can imagine.  Not an eating apple for sure!


We are also being inundated with acorns already.  Mr Squirrel is having a lot of fun!!!




We have added a couple of new plants, the Erica's (heather) that you see above and this wonderful Thistle.  Hubby loves spiky plants!



Although there are no berries left on the rowan tree, well unless you can count that tiny little bit of berry that has been left, there are other things coming out.  The Colchicums are flowering.  They look like crocuses, but they don't have any leaves at this time of year and flower in the autumn, not the spring.  The leaves come out in spring and are much bigger and wider than crocus leaves.  The bulbs are much much larger too.



The Hypericum is having another flush of flowers and is looking pretty again.  Really it is the time of year that I like to cut it back, but then it goes and flowers again so I have to wait as I cannot bear to cut the flowers off!


As you can see, we have arranged for the flowers and bugs to colour coordinate!



There are two little tiny flowers coming on these Cosmos plants, rather later than they should have.  I hope it stays warm enough for them to flower some more.  The Nandina is also flowering (below) and will have beautiful red berries in the winter which I always enjoy seeing.


I hope that you enjoyed the walk around the garden to see what is growing and flowering and happening in our little patch this September!

Amy

38 comments:

  1. There certainly is lots to see in your garden at the moment. The gorgeous chrysanthemum is huge, and the grapes are such soft shades of purple and green. I can't believe how long the flowers last on the verbena - ours has gone on for ages. Glad you're enjoying all this early autumn colour!
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have lots of splashes of colour, have you thought about trying a grape juice with your grapes or even grape jelly, :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You still have lots of colour in your garden! Our grapes don't get very big - I think we are just too far north - but the grape vine looks good against the house wall. We have had far more bees than usual this summer, but hardly any butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. I love the colour of your chrysanthemum by the front door, what a good idea. Your hornbeam hedge is lovely too and I've noticed that acorns are huge and prolific this year, so lots of squirrel activity to look forward too! Your apple tree sounds like a cider apple tree, so could your house be built on the site of an old orchard? And Amy you are very blessed to have a husband who enjoys gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden looks a treat with all that colour. It's nice to let the visitors enjoy the berries and grapes as long as they don't munch through all the things you want to look at. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. A friend and I were talking yesterday about how we could get colour into our autumn gardens and then this post pops up with lots of ideas! Those chrysanths are gorgeous and I love the big thistle (saw some magnificent specimens dotted about the borders in a walled garden recently). The roses have been repeat flowering here which has never happened before, usually it's one flush of blooms and then nothing. Not sure what that's all about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of lovely colours and plenty of goodies there for the wildlife too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I planted two chrysanthemums by my front door last year. They died down over the winter but have grown back full of vigour this year but not a flower or bud in sight! Your September garden looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Amy
    You have a lot of colour in your September garden, which is lovely to see.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your garden looks amazing with all those flowers, so much going on in there! Love the orange chrysanthemums, such a cheery sight at the door.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The chrysanthemums are gorgeous, they really do give a lot of colour at this time of year when other plants are winding down. Sedums are great for wildlife, they're like a magnet to them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many beautiful flowers! :-) My garden still has a few blooms so I'm not quite ready to decorate for Fall! As much as I love that time of year, it's too close to winter now where I live and last year's winter was terrible! Love the acorns too...so many adorable crafts to be made with those ;-) Hope you have a wonderful day!!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely photos, Amy. I hope Mr Squirrel doesn't aim any acorns at your head after you accusing him of eating the seeds when it was the ants that did it! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did indeed enjoy a 'walk' around your garden - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Truly beautiful. It's so inspiring to see your garden. I've now realised that I need chrysanthemums in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So many beautiful things to admire in your September garden - thank you for the tour. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. You took us on a beautiful stroll around your garden. The chrysanthemum at the front door is a particular delight such a stunning colour.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful collections of plants you have and the blooms are gorgeous. You take wonderful pictures. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  19. So, so pretty! I enjoyed my walk around. We're hoping things will be dry enough for us to start working in the garden soon. It has rained every day, except one, since we came home from England and the yard is a bit of a bog.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amy, such a lovely garden, as your photos are wonderful. Love the fuscia color. I'm going to pick up some mums this weekend to plant, since the weather is cooling down just a little in Texas this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I so enjoyed seeing around your gardens and comparing to the stage where mine are - the colchicums won't be blooming here for a few weeks yet. I have the same concrete dog statue, it was outside for one season and now I prefer to have it as you walk in our front door - a ribbon around the sweet little neck to match the seasons.
    The large mums haven't been out for sale yet here but I imagine it won't be long and I'll be picking up a couple too.
    Happy September!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would not like to be without Verbena bonariensis wafting her lovely little purple flowers above everything else. I do believe that your thistle is actually an artichoke!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such beautiful photos and incredibly gorgeous flowers!! I love getting mums for the Fall too! So fun getting into the Autumn spirit!! I love this season so and gobble up everyone's Fall photos that have begun. Thanks for sharing. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. A lovely garden tour, thanks. I like the idea of the giant crysanths, much better than buying a bunch of flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great photos of your Fall garden Amy...
    Enjoy!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  26. everything is so beautiful as the seasons change. And love the grapes! Our grapes are soo sweet that they will bout lock your jaw, after they finally turn. I do get to chew a few though. But mainly the turkeys make their feast on them.
    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, I really love your fall chrysanthemums! That orangy color is so gorgeous and so reminiscent of fall. I love the little purple flowers too. Those two are my favorites from the bunch you showed. You have such pretty stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  28. gorgeous flowers! it's nice to see that the joy still blossoms as we move into autumn, isn't it? i especially love 'mums this time of year....their colours are so very rich. xo

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous Chrysanthemums! I had a couple last year but the buds didn't open, I think it must have been a shady spot. See your garden is still looking magnificent, it must still be summer ha! X

    ReplyDelete
  30. A lovely walk around your autumn garden. Thanks Amy. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Amy I totally enjoyed looking at your gorgeous garden and pretty flowers. Wow you ever got a shot of the bee!
    Enjoy your Friday and weekend.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  32. I so enjoyed this wonderful tour around your garden. Your flowers are truly amazing! I only wish I could have such a lovely array of flowers but I am slowly adding to my little flower garden. We've had very warm temps here in southern California and very little rain. I'm looking forward to winter. My best to you. Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. You have a wonderful garden, Amy ! You and your hubby must spend a lot of work in it to keep it so pretty and clean...
    The belgian nephews of your mr. Squirrel are also having a feast on the acorns this year, there was some wind these past days, and many acorns are falling (already ! Very soon this year...)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow, lots of good things happening in your garden, Amy. I love that orange/yellow chrysanthemum, as we don't see them very often here, where they tend to be pink or white. Not that there's anything wrong with your pink one, or all the other pretty pink flowers you have grown. Lovely garden indeed. xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lots of colour in your garden, Amy, love those chrysanthemums and the sedum flowers especially xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your garden is looking lovely :) Mine's a little further behind, the sedum is only just starting to go pink. I love your crysanthemums, so cheerful

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a gorgeous garden!! Love those bright, cheerful chrysanthemums. Do you eat the rowan berries? We have them all over here in Alaska (but they are called mountain ash) but I don't hear of anyone eating them. I think they need to be heated first but can't remember right now. Are the wine grapes not good eating at all?

    ReplyDelete
  38. Beautiful garden and pictures of your garden!!! Chrysanthemums are my favorite...must be because it's my birthday flower! Come spring your garden is going to be so lush!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx