Tuesday, 22 September 2015

A forgotten WIP completed!

In January I wrote a list of my WIP's - Works In Progress - and checking back I see that I have completed a few of the things I set out to do and I know that I have done some more besides.  Plus I have a few on the go right now!

Despite writing a list I did miss some things off.  Isn't it always the way.  You write a list and then immediately discover five more things to add to it.

One of the things that I forgot to add to my list was this bag.


The plain calico bag came with this book which I received as a gift I think some years ago.  You can see their example of the bag decorated with flowers on the front cover.


I didn't want spotty flowers on my bag though.  It has taken a very long time to decide what to do.  Originally I thought I would have strings of bunting, but the fabric I chose that had bunting on it was the wrong scale for this and would have been a waste of the fabric.

So it was back to the drawing board.  I have never done any English Paper Piecing (EPP) but after my recent quilting exploits and reading quilting blogs I decided that I wanted to have a go.  I bought some hexi templates for something else that I have yet to show you, and with a recently purchased stack of fat quarters to hand I was all ready to go and embellishing this bag seemed like a great idea.


I needed an easily transportable and easy to work by hand project to take on holiday, and although I did also take some crochet, this seemed like a good idea as I only needed a few things to make it and I could carry everything I needed in the bag itself!  Even better.

The pattern is random and is meant to suggest an old well used bag that needed to be patched up!  Above is the front and below is the back, although I love both sides equally!


If you were a child in the sixties to early seventies you might remember Holly Hobbie Dolls - they were rag dolls.  I didn't ever have one myself, but I had a "nearly a Holly Hobbie Doll" copy who wore a brown patchwork dress - the real one had a dress in shades of blues I seem to remember. 

Anyway, these patches reminded me a little of my doll.  My doll also came with a bag - now very long lost as is my doll - so I am going to call this my Holly Hobbie Bag in memory of my doll!


It looks a bit creased because I have been working on it and I thought about ironing it, but it is going to be used and will get creased, so I thought why bother!



My favourite detail is this corner which is patched front and back as though it had worn out.


I had to add a flower too!


I am very pleased with the finished bag and although it wasn't originally on my WIP list, it is another thing ticked off and done at last!

What did I originally buy those hexi templates for.  To make these!  You will have to wait and see more.  Aren't they gorgeous though!!  Oh, and yes, they are meant to have holes in the middle....


Amy

52 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I like the end result very much. I sill haven't got my hands on my fabric stash. The new place is a mess now that we are having the kitchen renovated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another good idea, the patches really make the bag unique and special to you. You will easily spot it if you put it down. I must look up EPP to see what it means. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this Amy, and such perfect colours for September! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter is in to doing hexis she has been making some with holes in the middle I wont say what she is doing in case its the same dont want to spoil it for others, love the corners on you bag and random patching :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading your post, I have the same book and still haven't made the bag. I have now added it to the list, unfortunately my list is never ending at the moment. I can remember my daughter having a Holly Hobbie doll many moons ago. I have the Cath Kidston rag doll book which again, has not been made up. Looking forward to your reveal with the hexies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great bag. I am intrigued now, what are those circles for? Christmas wreath thingys? Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely EPP Amy, addictive isn't it? I wonder what you are making with the flowers...looking forward to seeing the result. Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! Great colours and they do indeed remind me of the Holly Hobby dolls! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm intrigued to find out about the hexies. I've only done a little bit of English Paper Piecing. I used the result to make large pin cushion. Your bag looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea to use the hexies to decorate a bag. I was very excited to see that some of the fabrics you used are exactly the same as the ones I'm using in my quilt - a recent purchase of fat quarters from John Lewis.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now, don't forget, it's a BOOK(S) BAG, so you have to fill it with books and read more, tee-hee! Might I recommend the novels of Katharine McMahon, Charlotte Betts, and Jacqueline Winspear? Fill it with those and you will have many happy reading hours.
    Margaret P
    PS the decoration on your bag is lovely - my mother used to make patchworks out of hexagonal templates like that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it, the fabrics you have chosen really compliment the bag :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your bag is gorgeous Amy. I love the way you place the hexies randomly - just my kind of project! The colours are so pretty. My daughter had a Holly Hobby doll, and I still have the HH bedspread in the blue tones she had on her childhood bed. (Live in hope for a granddaughter). My sister actually made a HH costume for her daughter, which our girl also took a turn wearing. It won first prize every time :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The bag is lovely, Amy. I would be tempted to take the Cath Kidston label off it - after all, she didn't make it, you did! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It turned out so cute! It does remind me of Holly Hobby too. Now you can use it to carry other craft projects. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's so pretty, I like the fabric you used, it reminds me of Holly Hobbie too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I like it! Clever idea...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the idea of a Holly Hobby craft bag and it looks like it will wash well. I have Christmas Holly Hobby stamps for making cards.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the idea of it looked patched and loved. Your Hollie Hobby bag is beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fun project. I think lists are funny because with me they seem to take on a life of their own! It IS very satisfying to refer back to an old list and realize WE DO accomplish things! Ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had a Holly Hobby Doll and I just loved her, and you are right that fabric reminds me of her so much. You are so creative, great bag Amy.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the bag. I have to tell you I use alot of bags for alot of things. Now I will put it on my list to make them pretty like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I remember Holly Hobby and your flowers do remind me of her dress. I like the way you've arranged the flowers and the corners look great.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a darling idea! I wish I had learned to sew and stitch. You think it's too late???

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a lovely bag !!! And the Holly Hobby link is very obvious for all of us who were Holly fans :-) !

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the way you positioned the hexies on the bag!! A very good idea I might have to steal!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've got loads of these cotton bags, I might have to pretty mine up too in time for the plastic bag tax next month which has been too long coming!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Absolutely adorable and very clever of you to think of decorating the bag like this!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Really nice effect, I think I prefer the side without the flower, I like how it's an abstract shape that you can imagine into other designs like when you gaze at clouds. Don't know if that makes any sense lol!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Amy,
    I love the way you dressed up this bag with the pretty floral squares. You did a great job. Thanks for sharing it.
    Wishing you a nice week.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  31. I had a holly hobbie dolly too, I loved her very much. Sadly I don't know where she got to but I still have a HH pillowcase which my girls take turn in using when I change their bedding! I love the bag, especially the corner pieces.
    Glad you enjoyed your hols, sorry to hear about the NT and the gastro though. xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love your bag! I also had holly bobby things, but not a doll. Apparently the wallpaper in my first bedroom was holly hobby :) I hope you are fully recovered after the gastro episode, glad you had a good holiday though! My Nana lived in Ashbourne and the Peak District feels very much like home to me xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love this Amy! It's just brilliant! Barbara xx.
    PS Oh dear, that's another idea for my list!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Holly Hobbie!! I never had the doll (we never had branded things because they were expensive) but I had a Holly Hobbie-style doll who was lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I thought "Holly Hobbie" as soon as I saw this. Love the hexies, they're charming. I'd like to have a go at English Paper Piecing some day. I just need to tick a few things off my WIP list too. x

    ReplyDelete
  36. You certainly changed that back into something wonderful! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Look absolutely lovely AMy!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love it!!! I have a boxful of hexies and bags, and you have inspired me to create one just like yours. I remember Hollie Hobbie...I had a shirt with a picture of her on the front of it...I loved that shirt!!! PINNED!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Your bag is beautiful Amy...what a great idea. I have just started doing a bit of English Paper Piecing and making some hexies. I love your choice of fabric too...very pretty. Thank you for the inspiration.....

    ReplyDelete
  40. I like your finished bag, Amy. The 'patched up' look is great and a very good first attempt at EPP, we'll done! X

    ReplyDelete
  41. lovely tote bag and I cannot believe you forgot about it! I love that it's finished and ready to be used :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. I have never tried patchwork or quilting, this is fabulous, wonderful job

    ReplyDelete
  43. It's fabulous Amy I love it. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  44. Great job Amy! LOVE how this turned out!! And thanks for bringing me down memory lane - I loved my holly hobby Doll! ;) XO

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx