Saturday, 8 August 2015

Reading My Books - Dancing in the Dark

My project to actually get on this year and read my books has been continuing well.  I have now read the first of my books selected for the second half of the year, although I am behind as I should have really finished this last month, but ho hum, better late than never and all that!


This was not the sort of book that I "normally" although I think that I have clearly established that I have not been a regular reader for some time now so that is perhaps an incorrect thing to say.  What I suppose I mean is that it isn't a book that I would have purchased myself to read.  It was in one of the piles of books given to me.

According to the blurb on the back of the book Dancing in the Dark won Romantic Novel of the Year.  It was published in 1999 so that was some time ago now!  I have no idea what the winner of romantic novel of the year is likely to be now.  Fifty shades.....  I hope not.

My review, well, the story is told through two characters, Millie and Flo.  They know who the other is, but that is really about all.  When Flo dies, Millie starts to unravel Flo's life and as we follow through Flo's side of events we see what she discovers too.

The book says that events will reach a shocking conclusion.  Well, I wasn't shocked and had pretty much got there myself, far from the end, but that didn't mean that it didn't reach an interesting conclusion once the tale has been told.

It was well written, told a good story and kept me interested and wanting to read.  I would recommend it, but only to adults as although the story isn't overly shocking, particularly violent or intimate in any way, it might be to a teen and you would need to judge that for yourself.  I guess that as an older teen I would have read a book like this myself.

So overall, good read, if you come across a copy settle down with a cuppa - or as Flo would prefer a glass of sherry - and enjoy!

I am now going to start my next book, which is another Agatha Christie.  It is thinner than this book, so hopefully will allow me to catch up a bit on my self imposed reading schedule.  Although I have stopped doing sudoku puzzles before bed I have taken to trying to do crosswords so I need to put those aside also and concentrate on the reading!!  Especially as in the last week I have bought another book and received another five!  So reading one a month isn't really reducing the pile much is it....

You can read my other reviews from earlier in the year by clicking the pictures of the books in the sidebar on the right of this page.

Amy

21 comments:

  1. Sometimes it gets hard to make time for all the things we want to do. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished Labor Day, and it was pretty interesting. In kept me turning the pages for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My staple reading time is half an hour over lunch. It's surprising how many books you can get through that way. Always love a good book review xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not much of a romantic book reader, but glad you enjoyed it. Agatha Christie is more to my taste, I just finished And Then There Were None.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I quite like a romantic novel now and then, its light holiday reading. I like to read but at the moment other things are taking priority.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A good book & a glass of sherry is right up my street xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prefer Agatha Christie to romantic novels. Just lately, all my time seems to be taken with reading the book group choices and I have little time for my favourite genre - crime thrillers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I've read a couple of books by Maureen Lee. "Lights Out Liverpool" is the one that cones to mind. I like historical fiction and it was set, as you can guess, during WWII. I'd recommend it once you've read everything on your bookshelves!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good read... thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We went to see an Agatha Christie play in Brighton last week and it made me realise that I've never actually read one of her novels, so looking forward to seeing how you get on with the next book. X

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like a fairly decent read, Amy; not an outstanding read, but a pleasant read. The cover is very much like a lot of non-fiction social history books which have been published about the 1950s, too.
    A book I have enjoyed recently is Jenny Eclair's latest novel. I had no idea she was a novelist until I saw a piece about her in the Radio Times and it mentioned her new book (obviously, it would!) It is called Moving, and I think it is well-written. This took me to two of her earlier novels, one I quite enjoyed but another, published in 2005, isn't for me. She has developed as a novelist in the last ten years and although she peppers some of her prose with the 'f' word and sometimes the 'c' word, and sometimes necessary, I know, the earlier book relies too heavily on trying to shock, I think; perhaps the comedienne in the writing showing through (for don't comedians and comediennes like to shock?)
    For something quite different, H E Bates' book In the Heart of the Country, first published in 1942 at the height of WW2, was recommended to me and I've just found a decent copy, quite inexpensively, on Abe. It's a delightful, if rather romantic, view of the countryside at that time.
    Do you know, I've never read an Agatha Christie - I've attempted a couple but never managed to get into them. Sad, when you think she was born close to where we live and her summer residence, Greenway, is only 5 miles away.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Amy! Thanks for the review of this book. OH, I need to read. I have three books just waiting for me on my night stand but I haven't picked one up yet! Thanks for thinking of me with your Rooster pitchers! And thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the book review! At least with your next one you'll know exactly what to expect. Agatha Christie never lets the reader down, but also never has graphic content to worry about. The perfect combination!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Amy,

    Thank you for the review. Sounds like an entertaining read!

    Have a good week!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I love Maureen Lee, her books always keep my interest to the end even if I think I've worked it out. She describes a lot of places that I know or have some knowledge of, so I suppose that's the additional pull for me. I did like 'Dancing in the dark', although I did read them all a long time ago now xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I recently finished Whistling Past the Graveyard, it was excellent. I am now reading a mystery that takes place in Door Co. Wisconsin where I went to visit my SIL's last month, it is very good.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  17. I read most of Agatha Christie's novels during my O level year. Our head wouldn't let us out of school after the exams, so we had a lot of sitting around time. A decent murder helps to pass the time! Which one are you reading?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like an interesting read. I'm so far behind in my reading, really need to get back to it. Enjoy your next book; I have read a couple by Agatha Christie and liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad you enjoyed your book, Amy. I am a pretty slow reader too, and have only read 3 or 4 books this year. When I was a teen I read lots and lots of Agatha Christie, always fun. I've been thinking of joining a book club, just to encourage me to read more and to get ideas of what to read, too. Happy reading! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have never read any Maureen Lee books. I seem to go through phases with reading. I either read one book after another or don't read for a couple of weeks. I am currently reading the latest Erica James novel - The Dandelion Years. At the moment is it quite slow going. Joan

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great challenge! I've been trying to get to some of the books I've had for a while--I've moved some of them so often that they feel like old friends. One turned out to be a real stinker, but the others have been good--though maybe not through all the moves that involved stairs..............:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx