Monday, 24 August 2015

Over the weekend

Well another Monday has rolled around again.  Seven more days have passed since last Monday and a new week begins once again.  Last night when we were having dinner Hubby asked me what I had on this week.  I reeled off a list of things and things to be done for events yet to come.  We talked a bit more about what we need to do next weekend - more on that as it happens! - and that sparked more lists in my mind.  I guess that answers where the time goes to doesn't it.

This weekend though we did lots of relaxing.  Really!  Although you may not believe it when I start my list of what we got up to in just a moment.  It was though a chill out and not do lots of doing kind of weekend which we both needed.  Me especially.

The lunch that I hosted on Friday was a great success!!!  Thank you all for your support last week.  It went really well and we had great fun.  All women resulted, of course, in lots of talking and it was wonderful to catch up with each other over some really good food.  Recipes have been exchanged and a few ideas picked up too for our own cooking at home.  No one made any comments about dust - not that there was any - and it was all good.  By the time that Hubby got home on Friday evening I had everything cleared away and put back in order with just the dishwasher waiting to finish.  After that I declared that I wasn't doing any housework at all over the weekend!  I pretty much stuck to that, with just a little bit of cooking on Sunday.

As there was so much going on and talking when everyone arrived I totally forgot to take any photos with my guests, but I do have a few from before to share with you.


This was the place setting that I laid - with different coloured napkins for each person.

Everything was prepared and ready.  I had china to hand and jugs ready for filling with water and so on and breadsticks for munching on with the first course.


Cookies were baked too.  These are Ginger Nuts - recipe here.  I had to make a double batch to ensure that there were enough left for Hubby!


The fridge was full to bursting with everything!  I cannot believe that I am showing you the inside of the fridge, but it is very clean as I cleaned that too!


A few things arranged on the kitchen windowsill.  For what reason I have no idea, but I thought it looked nice!



Chairs were cleared of blankets and cushions were plumped.

 
Flowers were as arranged as flowers ever get in this house.



The sky though was black as coal.  It didn't look as though it was going to be a nice day weatherwise.


So lit a scented candle to try and bring some light on the situation.


It worked and the sky cleared and I could set up seating areas in the garden for drinks on arrival.


The people duly arrived and we drank and ate and did all those good things and I totally forgot to take another photo!  It was wonderful as I said and I will not be nearly as stressed if I repeat it another time - I hope!!!

So we moved on to Saturday!  We went and ran some errands, I bought some fabric from Hobbycraft - which I have no plans for, but it is gorgeous! - and some foam mats to block the shawl that I have nearly finished making. 

Then we went to a town a few miles from us called Camberley in Surrey where they were having a car show in the town centre.  Although I don't suppose that the girls will be wildly interested in I know that some of your husbands and other halves have enjoyed my car pictures before, so here are a few for them - and you too of course!!








This is Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - from the film!
















There were lots of different musicians playing around the town, but these four were my favourites.  I mean, if you can play an instrument that you have to actually stand inside you deserve to be liked don't you!


I did also spot some crochet!  This is the Water Lily CAL blanket that some of you have been making recently, displayed in a fabric and yarn shop window.  I was surprised that it was bigger than I thought.  Another one for the future perhaps??


The town has lots of beautiful colourful flowers too.


Then it was home and doing nothing for the rest of the day, save some crochet and then an early night.

On Sunday we had plans to go to another car thing and we got there as the heavens opened.  It was being held at an Antiques Centre so we dashed inside and had a good look around, but came away with nothing!

Home again, and Hubby did some gardening later on when the weather cleared, I admired my fabric purchases from Saturday and did some work on my quilt and to be honest I don't know what else I did!  Just pottering.

Later in the day I made some flapjacks - recipe here - and then cooked dinner which was a lovely chorizo and potato frittata - recipe here.

We followed dinner with strawberries and cream and sat watching television - and I typed up this post!


So that was the weekend that was!

I hope that you had a great one and that you will have a great week too.

I am linking up with Karen at Pumpkin Sunrise to share my weekend with others.  Thank you for the prompt Karen.

Amy

51 comments:

  1. Beautiful and fun post, as always!
    Have a lovely new week, Amy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely weekend all round - it sounds just fab to me. And glad to hear your party on Friday went well too - I'm just back from hols so will need to catch up with your previous posts to read all about it. But well done, I know you will always be a perfect hostess anyway, even if you find it stressy, your guests will be blessed by you & your hospitality :-)
    Happy new week ahead, hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you enjoyed your lunch. Fancy all those cars in Camberley, all looking shiny and bright in the sun! A jolly hot afternoon. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a near perfect weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful weekend, nice and relaxing and very well deserved. You're such a fantastic hostess, I'm sure your friends felt very appreciated and spoilt, just as a guest should. The roses are gorgeous and the ginger nuts look scrumptious. It sounds like a perfect weekend as well, I'm glad you did enjoyable things. Wishing you a good week Amy. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Certainly a busy weekend - hope you have a lovely week! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. A full and well-spent weekend. All your hard work for the dinner on Friday paid off. I'm so glad it went well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad it all went well for you & you had a fairly peaceful weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a delightful weekend, your lunch sounds like fun and i love the pictures of the cars! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to hear all that preparation paid off and your lunch started off the weekend in great style. Love those cars!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good about your dinner and hope you are less stressed for the next one. What a lovely weekend and my hubby would love that car show, but I didn't see any Morris Minors? Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am not really interested in current cars, but always love to see vintage or unusual cars, I think it's because they are lovely rounded shapes, and those gorgeous leather seats too. Thank you for sharing them with us. Sounds like the perfect weekend and your lunch was a big success too, no wonder you wanted to rest and relax after such hard work getting everything perfect for your guests! X

    ReplyDelete
  13. sounds like a perfectly wonderful weekend Amy x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Amy, I'm so pleased your lunch went wonderfully well. You really put in such a big effort, you put me to shame! No way will my fridge ever be shown in Blogland... I love a pot of herbs in the kitchen window, and your basil looks very healthy. The ginger nuts are so tempting (I love ginger), that I am resisting looking at the recipe. Love the waterlily blanket, and I hope you make one some day. And what a great car show - even I would enjoy that, and I am not into cars one little bit :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds like you had the perfect weekend, Amy. All I could think of as I looked at the car photos was "Ahhh, boys and their toys!" :oD

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now who wouldn't want a perfect weekend like that ! Plus, in combination with a perfect lunch on friday, you must now be a happy woman :-) !
    That water lily blanket looks tempting... that might end up on my "to do-list" as well (which is growing into a small book, rather than a list...)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your basil is beautiful...lush and healthy. Fun car show, especially enjoyed the VW bus...my dream camper. Visiting from somewhere but can't remember...thank God for getting older, many are denied the privilege.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like a fab weekend Amy, the car show looks fun. I love the turquoise one! My favourite colour. I like your colourful table settings and crochet coasters. A nice touch. I hope you have a great week too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My friend and her family was at that car event Amy, I've examined your photos to see if she was in them cod that would be really funny! (She wasn't though lol)
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your gathering on Friday set the scene for a near perfect weekend, save the rain. I haven't seen the Waterlily Blanket before, it's really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm a bit out of the loop having been away last week but glad to hear all went well with your entertaining, and a peaceful weekend to recover afterwards by the sounds of things! xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Amy!
    Gosh...you are so busy with your posts! I can't keep up!
    Sounds like your and your gal friends had a super luncheon....good for you!
    Enjoy your week ahead....you sound very positive!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amy, I'm sure your guests really enjoyed their time with you. And the auto show! What fun to see those old cars customized with colors, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds like a wonderful weekend. Loved the photo of the VW camper that was a blast from the past and brought back some lovely memories. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like a lovely weekend! A good mix of fun business and restful relaxing. Love the car photos! So glad the luncheon went well.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You had such a productive and fun weekend! Everything looks so great for your get-together, even the fridge! Those cookies look and sound great. Wish more recipes would be converted into American measures. I see so many things I'd like to make, but they are in metrics and I'm terrible at converting, obviously. I've made a few things trying to convert, and they just don't turn out. Boooooo!! Anyway, hope your week is just as good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow Amy, what a fab weekend! I would have been v.excited to see Chitty....love that film! Have yet to make my husband watch it though I've subjected him to most of my favourites! The lunch looked like it went really well, I'm a bit behind reading blogs and v.behind writing my own, so I'll to read back to find out about your lunch :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I didn't realise Camberly was so interesting!!! I only know it for M&S!!!! I have got the wool for the Waterlily blanket, printed the pattern off (now have to replace the ink cartridges - be warned, a lot of pages!!!) it is my winter project!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That camper van is gorgeous! I'm glad the lunch went well, you seem to have had every base covered x

    ReplyDelete
  30. It sounds like you packed a lot in, as well as a bit of rest-time and creativity. I'm glad to hear that the lunch went so well. Hosting things is great fun, but can be a bit stressful too, so it's nice to have a relaxing weekend afterwards. Those ginger biscuits look nice!
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow what a busy but lovely weekend, I loved all of your photo's.
    You were so fortunate with the weather especially Saturday it was a very nice sunny day.

    Hope you have a great week.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh Amy it sounds like a really nice weekend. I love the cars and glad you had fun at your party. Have a nice Tuesday.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm so glad your lunch went so well. I'm sure it was all down to you preparing so carefully. Good you were able to enjoy the weekend too, the vintage cars look amazing. I do like the smell of old cars, does that make me strange I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Cookies look great - I will have to try them, OH loves ginger. Loved the photos of the cars.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your luncheon looks like it was picture perfect. And your house looks so lovely! I'm so happy for you that all went so well. I had no doubt. ;)
    I love seeing the old cars - sooo fun!! And your blanket is turning out lovely. I love those flowers - so pretty!!
    Blessings for your week ahead to be as lovely as your wonderful weekend was my Dear. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  36. You had a busy but fun week! The house looks nice and I'm so glad the lunch went well. The car show looks like such a fun one! I love Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Amy! So glad your luncheon turned out so good! I knew it would. How great you must feel know you have everything clean and organized! I have to admit I don't clean my refrigerator as often as I should! ;) Your table looks cute. Now my hubby would be all over these cars! I like them too! Hope you got the rest you deserved this weekend.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your house looks so nice and inviting Amy! I'm glad that your afternoon with your friends went so well and that the weather cooperated with you as well :) The car show looks like it was well attended. My husband & son went to a car show in town yesterday too. We live in between two major car manufacturers here (GM & Ford), and lots of folks attend the show. Your weekend sounds like the perfect relaxing time to wind down after all your preparations. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  39. That purple car sure is snazzy. We went to an outdoor art show in Colorado this summer when the heavens opened up so didn't get to see a thing. Glad to hear your luncheon went off without a hitch. Have a good weekl

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Amy,

    Sounds like you have been having a busy time and glad that the luncheon went well - everything looks and sounds lovely.
    Also was great to see all the wonderful old cars.
    Have a great week
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  41. Sounds like you had a great time over lunch. Those ginger biscuits look divine - I love ginger, so might have to give them a go! I'm rather partial to a classic car show too, although not as much as my other half is! How special to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Thanks for sharing your weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hey Amy,
    I love this kind of weekend. Full of stuff, but in a good way. Nothing to leave you frazzled or stressed. Sometimes Marc will ask what I do all week. When I reel off the list, he raises his hands as if to say, point taken. Loved all the vintage vehicles. I bet you can guess my favourite ;))
    Have a great week, Amy.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  43. Those cars look great - such wonderful colours. I'm sure your lunch do went really well. You did lots of preparation so that really helps. And it's good to just relax afterwards as entertaining guests can be quite stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I believe there was a car show over here near where I live but we did not go to it. Love that you had a fun gathering and you host a beautiful party. MMM, I'd love to take a taste of those cookies. I love how you spruced up your home!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. It sounds like a perfect weekend and I'm really glad your lunch went well.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  46. The flowers in that town are truly lovely. I enjoyed hearing about your weekend of quiet. We all need those.
    I need those cookies too

    ReplyDelete
  47. See I told you all would be well. It looks fabulous and I am glad you enjoyed yourself. I enjoyed the squirrel story too. Been back reading a bit, things have got away with me. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  48. I'm happy your day turned out so well for your guests. I loved seeing the vintage car show. They always interest me. I was surprised to see the American ones.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I'm hungry and exhausted after such a wonderful post on your activities. Seems like it was a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Thank you so much for the lovely post, especially the cars pictures. My six year old son was delighted too.

    ReplyDelete
  51. The waterlily blanket colors are amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx