Thursday, 13 August 2015

Lanhydrock - getting to be upstairs this time!

Today we are going upstairs at Lanhydrock House to see how the upper classes lived!

Most of the house that you see today is from the Victorian era.  The house was built from 1620 onwards by Richard Robartes and continued by his son John Robartes who was the first Earl of Radnor.

In the 18th century changes were made to the house, and then in 1881 there was a serious fire which destroyed most of the house and only the north wing which contains the spectacular Long Gallery remained along with the porch and the gatehouse - which is a separate building.

The house was rebuilt in the style of the old house.

The Robartes lived in the house  and were keen to ensure that it was run on very moral lines with great care being taken to keep female and male servants apart, they even had different staircases to use.

Eventually the Earl Radnor title ran out when there was no one left to inherit it, which originally confused me as I knew of the current Radnor family and then I discovered that the title had been given out again some years later.

So, off we go around the above stairs parts of the house!



The dining table was beautifully set with many lovely embellishments, such as the flowers and garlands that you can see in the picture above and the beautiful little glass elephant below.



This would be a lovely room to have a dinner on a great occasion I think.





Quite a billiards table and billiards room!  This isn't a snooker table of course, billiards is a similar but different game.









Isn't this an amazing nursery.  Can you imagine having a bed like this as a child!  It would be amazing now, but I don't suppose that it was that exciting back then.



I thought that the patchwork on this bed was beautiful!















As well as having a bit of a thing about ceilings, I have a bit of a thing for fireplaces and overmantels it seems!!


You can read here more about the Radnor title that I was talking about earlier.



 





I didn't add to much information as I am afraid that as we visited in April I have forgotten many of the details now, but I am sure that you will have enjoyed the pretty pictures and can imagine the rest for yourselves!

That is the last of my Lanhydrock posts, but you can see the others by clicking the Lanhydrock label below.

I hope you have enjoyed seeing these pictures.  Thank you for bearing with me!

Amy

26 comments:

  1. Thank you for the tour! I, of course, immediately spotted the patchwork quilt as I scrolled down through all your wonderful photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have enjoyed seeing your photos. It looks like an amazing place and well worth a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love looking round these big houses. Sometimes I think I should have been born in another era would I would have been a lady and able to spend time making fabulous hexagon patchwork quilts. But I would probably have been a servant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photos. It's the little details I like. I especially love the crocheted tea cloth. Quite a novel design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coming from Derbyshire originally I enjoyed seeing the little 'blue john' pieces on the mantle in the last photo. Your pictures have made me wish to visit Lanhydrock again.
    The children's beds remind me of a dolls cot I had as a child known as a 'treasure cot' - I remember that my mother picked the frame up second hand then relined and draped it herself with fine net and lace all done secretly in the evenings as it was to be a Christmas present - I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos, Amy. The person who made that quilt must have taken ages to do it - all by hand! Aaargh!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful tour thank you! I love that billiards room ... and the patchwork quilt of course. M x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous. William Morris- love his stuff, and that photo of the bed with the case on it xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how things would have been different if females were able to inherit!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is an interesting and beautiful home. I love the dining table dressed to look like a lattice - so pretty! It was interesting to read how the family died out after originally having so many children. Thanks for sharing Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another amazing and very beautiful home! What gorgeous fireplaces, and that curved ceiling is spectacular! Thanks for sharing your photos Amy ... I'm going to come back later and read the fine print on the info boards :)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous house and thanks for the wonderful tour of it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't Lanhydrock wonderful, even though it's Victorian and not some Georgian or Elizabethan pile! We love it there and went only a month ago. Our plan this time - as we'd been in the house on many an occasion - was to have a good wander in the gardens, but plan was thwarted when the rains came and we made a dash for a buggy which took us from the gatehouse to the entrance and there we borrowed a large NT brolly and dashed back to the car and handed that in at the gate when we left.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful place to visit. I loved the dining table, it looked so elegant. A great tour.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such grand rooms and details! So pretty and fun to see peeks into the past like this. Such fascinating history too. They certainly had a lot of trouble with male heirs through all the "lines" of family. So fun to read and see your beautiful photos Amy! I love the fireplaces too!!! ;)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love all these pictures Amy!! Always I enjoy when you make a tour to us:))))
    Love the cake and the Tea table lovely!!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely Amy and I have some similar photos of my wonderful visit to this amazing house. I've also lots of the garden which is also beautiful, especially the very formal garden from the windows of the long room. Thanks. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the wallpaper in the first photo!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, what an interesting place - thank you for taking us on the tour. I loved the bureau and the dolls house, oh and the 2 cots with muslin canopies.
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful! Thanks for the tour, Amy! I especially like the dining table and tea table, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this post so much, love this time period and gathering details of history. Thanks for sharing! Have a great night!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is delightful Amy. It is so interesting to see how the upper classes lived back in the day. I really like the sitting room with the pale blue chairs, so elegant, and the nursery is gorgeous. The dining setting is amazing with the ivy garlands, so original and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow - some of these old houses are just magnificent! I love the doll house, the ceiling, the woodwork and even those hydrangeas. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for showing us these photos of this most wonderful place. I think of the lives and stories that were lived here. Beautiful dining room and nursery - I also loved the linen room where I assume laundry was dried in front of the fire and the ironing happened.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This was great always so interesting to read. I'm always surprised to read how often Longford pops up in England. I love here in longford in the Irish Midlands. It was the name given by the vikings to the town as it had a 'long port'. We also had a Lord and Lady Longford and Longford house. And in your post Longford Castle.
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx