Sunday, 26 July 2015

Llanhydrock Gardens

When we went to Cornwall earlier in the year - three months ago now! - we stopped off at Llanhydrock which is a very famous National Trust property.  I will tell you more about it at a later date when I show you the inside.  You can see my posts about the ceilings here and the kitchens and below stairs parts of the house here.

Today though I hope that you will join me on a walk around the beautiful gardens.

When we visited it was a wonderful warm, sunny, dry spring day.  You could not have asked for better.  The car parking area has been revamped since we last visited, with a new visitors entrance, restaurant, cafĂ© and so on.  We didn't use those facilities, but they all looked really nice and if I was a child I would have loved to have had a go on the new playground!  There was also a lovely plant centre, but we didn't think that turning up to our B&B with a load of plants was a very good idea!

You can either walk down to the house on a well laid path - it is a very pleasant and easy walk - or get a buggy.  We chose to walk as it was such a beautiful day.


The gatehouse and the gardens are the first thing that you see.  I love the topiary yew trees.  These must be very old by now I imagine.


You can also see the gardens which lay beyond the house on the hill behind.  The rhododendrons were out in flower and looked spectacular.


I played around with this shot turning it to black and white.



As you go through the gatehouse you see the amazing topiary yew trees.  It is amazing how they are all shaped to be the same as all of the others.  It must take a lot of work to keep them clipped like this.



Then you approach the front door and get to go in through the tower.



After our visit we sat outside to eat our picnic lunch in the beautiful sunshine.  We of course stopped to admire these wonderful tulips.




They were wonderful!  I know that it is a bit late in the year for them now, and I am sure that the planting scheme has changed, but I it will be just as beautiful now I am sure.  Also, it is surely never the wrong time of year to admire a tulip!!


Thank you for taking this little stroll with me!  I would definitely recommend it as a beautiful walk, I just wish that we had been able to spend more time wandering as I am sure that it is a great place to explore.

Amy

35 comments:

  1. Even only the gatehouse is fenomenal !!
    Every time you publish photos of National Trust properties, I am amazed... They must have massive funds to sustain/maintain so much properties in such a good way ! Just look at the garden here - I wonder how many gardeners work here full time to keep it so perfectly pretty !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, it all looks so crisp. Great to see a few tulips too! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy, we went there while on holiday about 12 years ago when we just had the boys and they were very small. I remember those yew trees and wondering how on earth they clipped them all so perfectly. We were there when the magnolias were out, so a bit earlier in the year than you. It is a lovely place. Thanks for sharing your photos - brought back lovely memories for me. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Amy
    I went to Cornwall a few years ago and visited several of the big gardens which I really enjoyed. However, we didn't manage to visit Llanhydrock, so thank you for sharing your visit. It looks a lovely place.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks a lovely place Amy and I can imagine those beds full of summer planting now but it is lovely to see the tulips. Thanks for sharing your photos:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely time of year to visit the gardens Amy when the rhododendrons are at their best and the formal gardens are complimented by the tulips.
    Clipped yew are surprisingly easy to keep - we have an enormous yew ball, a quick whiz over with the cutter and that it is until the following year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has bought back happy memories of visiting Llanhydrock with my Dad when he lived in Tavistock. I loved the kitchen here!! Cothele is another beautiful National Trust house to visit if you are in that area again, I could happily move in there!!!
    Hope you are OK, I always think of you when I sit at those traffic lights by the painted Giraffe!!! X

    ReplyDelete
  8. You took us on a wonderful stroll, the topiary yew trees are a real work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow weee ... just amazing!! i bet that takes hours to take care of & maintain. can you imagine??! ( :
    have a happy weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! I love all the bright tulips. Thank you for the tour, Amy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh those TULIPS!!!! So lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What beautiful photos Amy. Every time we go to England I get garden envy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful place! Once again I find myself being quite jealous of your National Trust system. We don't have anything like it here in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful isn't it, we have visited the garden a couple of times but not been inside yet. We will great around to it one day but you know what it's like, when you live somewhere you don't always get around to seeing places like you would on holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love seeing your beautiful pictures. They remind me of the ones my Hubby took when he was stationed in Germany in the 70s.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So beautiful, looks like something out of a fairytale ! I could spend hours there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stunning pictures. Those tulips are so colorful. Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful gardens. I love Cornwall. Joan at www.aviewtothefells.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice to see pictures of tulips again. It looks a lovely place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm not a great lover of topiary, preferring the natural shape of trees. However, it's certainly a great display. The tulips are beautiful, as is the rest of the garden. Thanks for sharing your photos with us.

    I'd be interested to hear how you become a volunteer with the National Trust?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would love to be actually taking that stroll with you, what a gorgeous place.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  22. How could anything be this stunning??? Thank you for taking me along on your stroll.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The tulips are beautiful! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yours pictures always are beautiful Amy!
    The flowers look beautiful!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beautiful place to take a walk, Amy! The gardens are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks like a wonderful place to visit and those tulips are beautiful. xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. What beautiful gardens!! And those tulips - AMAZING! Thanks for sharing Amy. Happy week to you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks an amazing place. The gate house is spectacular X

    ReplyDelete
  29. The hose and gardens look wonderful! i must visit there one day! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a stunning place to visit. The Robartes family who owned this place in the 17th century is mentioned in Daphne DuMaurier's book The King's General. Fascinating to see history come to life. What gorgeous gardens and gate house. Can I be jealous?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Cornwall is my most favourite place. One day I hope to retire there...although it would be a fight with my hubby who wants to retire to the Lake District. :D

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful place! The flowers are so lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. We visited a couple of years back and I loved it! From the look of your pictures it is even better in Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  34. We were in Lanhydrock at the beginning of this month. We walked down the hill and got as far as the garden and the heaven's opened and we were soaked! But as we live only across the border in Devon, it's a place we've visited many a time and on which I've written for magazines. I love the house, re-built after a dreadful fire (although the long gallery was saved) and very modern for its time. I love the kitchens and the servants quarters, and even the room in the loft where they keep the luggage. We actually stayed in Cornwall for a few days, but it was a very wet few days and we were rather glad to return home. I still prefer Devon, I'm afraid.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx