Monday, 29 June 2015

What I did at the weekend

The lovely Karen at Pumpkin Sunrise offers us the chance to share what we did with our weekends, and I never yet managed to join in.  Today though, finally!, I am!!!  Yay!!  Thank you Karen for the prompt and for encouraging us to join you in celebrating the weekends.

On Saturday we got up late, I watched the last episode of this series of The Good Wife - I wonder where the next series will be taking us!


Then I moved out to the garden.  I set up camp at the table and spent some time blogging and enjoying a cold drink.  Hubby set up the hammock for me to use later on.


The honeysuckle has flowered amazingly.  I think that this is the best that I have ever seen it.  Combined with the hypericum - still remembering the name! - it looks fantastic.  They make a good combination I think.


Hubby got on with some work, a little light hedge trimming and cutting back some of the excess branches on this laurel.  It is too early in the year to prune hedges back, but you can take off some of the long bits around the edges here and there as long as you take care not to disturb any nesting birds.  There are no birds nesting in this laurel, the squirrels would have taken care of them sadly, but I am sure that the birds have found other more sensible places to nest!



The lavender has now come out in spectacular fashion!!  I am so happy to see it again.  You know that I worry about all of my garden plants, so I am always happy when they reappear or flower again each year.


Today I am planning to go out and cut a big handful to bring into the house to dry so that I can enjoy it all year long.  I only just got rid of last years bunch as it no longer had any scent and was rather dusty.  So the lavender has flowered at the perfect time!


There was a light breeze, just enough to make the hammock wave around and to keep me nice and cool, but that was all.  The hammock will blow about in the slightest breeze!


Of course I did enjoy looking at some of the other plants as well!



Looking at the hammock made me realise that I could - finally! - show you my ripple blanket actually on the hammock!!  It was made to go on the hammock and this weekend was the first time that I could use it for the purpose that it was made for.  I have of course been using the blanket ever since I made it.  Just not outside!



You can read about the blanket here and the cushion that I also made here.



While I was wandering around I took a look at how the plants in the pots were doing.  Aren't they just beautiful!!


Hubby and I then had a lay on the hammock - me - and a sit in the comfy chair - hubby.  It was time to do some relaxing!!!


There was eating outside, sitting and doing not a lot.  Reading, blogging, and just staring into space.  Not a bad way to spend the day at all!!


I finished colouring in my giraffes!  No idea what I am going to do with these, but I enjoyed the process.


I might have also flicked through this magazine which came with the new Simply Crochet magazine.  There are six blankets showcased, and of course I want to make them all!!!  The one on the front cover attracted hubby's attention and I really like the way that it is very graphic in design so perhaps that will one day be in my future.


There was also some reading as I mentioned and having finished my May read, I really cracked on with June's book.


You can see that I am already over a third of the way through!  I am loving it!!!!!


On Sunday I had to return to "the real world".  No sitting in the garden all day for me.  It was rainy on and off and cloudy though so I didn't mind.

The day started leisurely again and then hubby and I headed off in opposite directions on our various duties.  Hubby went to visit Man - another unsuccessful visit sadly.  I went to a meeting at Basildon Park and then headed down the motorway - freeway - to do my own visits.

I will tell you about those in a moment, but I have to share this first!  It occurred to me recently that there is another way to get on with my reading.  By listening to my books.  The ones that I have on the kindle.  I find it hard to read kindle books, something about the weight of holding it and the lack of pages.  However it is great for travelling and in the past I have used it to play audio books when travelling.  I have never used it for that at home though.

So recently I started to listen to this book on the kindle.  It isn't downloaded as an audio book, so you just get the rather monotone voice of the kindle speaking to you, but it means that I can listen when doing things around the house like cleaning.  It is a bit of company and means that I am getting through this book fairly well.

The breakthrough though was when I realised that while I am spending all of this time heading up and down the motorway, clocking up hundreds of miles, I could be listening to the book in the car too!

Yesterday I did just that.  It worked really well.  I turned the book on before I set off, rested the kindle in my open handbag which was seatbelted to the seat and listened away.

Again it was great company and I am now apparently 68% of the way through this book!  Yay!


The visits were fine.  I saw Lady for the second time this week, she was in fine fettle.  I then did my other visit which was much less pleasant.  I am never a fan of hospitals and it occurred to me that when I was giving total strangers in the car park advice about where to park, go, pay for their tickets etc that I really have been spending a lot of time there.  Especially considering that it isn't even my local hospital.  Oh well.  There is no new news and the news is in fact not encouraging at all.  I made my visit though and am doing the little that I can.

Having been inspired by reading about blankets on Saturday I thought that I really must get on with some of my own crochet.  So while hubby cooked me dinner - salad, so not much cooking, but delicious nonetheless! - I finished my crochet garland for July which I will show you in a few days.  Then after dinner I worked a little more on my current blanket project.  This doesn't have a name yet.  I might call it my New England blanket as I bought the yarn in New England last year.  We will see.


So that was my weekend!   Good, bad and indifferent, but that is life isn't it.

Today is another thrilling day, housework, ironing, meal planning and some list making.  I am not complaining though and I will keep listening to my book to keep me company!

I hope that you had a great weekend and will have a good week too.  If you want to see what others got up to this weekend go and visit Karen!

Amy

49 comments:

  1. sounds like a lovely week-end, the blankets are fab and I love the name New England very fitting we had a more normal week end starting to fall into a more normal routine now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A feast for the eyes! What a wonderful outdoor area you have and how beautiful it would be to spend some relaxing moments over there! I'm thrilled to see Mediterranean plants flourishing in the UK, even more beautifully then here! Thanks for sharing Amy, it was a joy to look at.
    Happy new week
    Olympia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your garden looks so beautiful, and what a great way to spend a British Summers Day!, have a good weekxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saturday in the garden sounds blissful. It really looks so pretty out there now, all of your and hubby's hard work has paid off, it's a wonderful place to relax. I've just started listening to audio books in the kitchen now, although they're really expensive asI don't have a Kindle or anything, I just get the CDs. The library have them, but they're rented by the week, and it would take me much longer than that to get through one. I hope you have a good week Amy, despite the difficulties. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a perfect weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely way to spend a sunny Saturday. I've never thought about listening to books, although we used to encourage our vision impaired clients to use them. I just love your crocheting on the go. The colours are beautiful. Hope all is going well. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saturday seems like an idyllic day; less so, Sunday by the sound of it; hard times. Loved the shots of the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely weekend, Amy, with lots of nice things to comment on. Your garden looks so summery and relaxing, and the ripple rug looks spectacular on the hammock, as well as a complement to your flowers! And I never knew the Kindle could talk - I'll have to investigate that. It shows you that I never read instruction manuals, doesn't it? The New England rug is beautiful too, perfect colours for that part of the world. Great post. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. You definitely sound more upbeat in your post today Amy so sitting in the garden and doing things you enjoy was obviously what you needed. Even though life is still a bit topsy turvy at the moment you seemed to have had a good weekend. Like you I have a kindle and as I drive a fare distance to work and back everyday if I'm not listening to the radio I listen to my kindle I call her metal micky as she is a bit monotone isn't she but I either listen because it's a book I just want to finish so I can move onto something else or because it is so good I need to read more and I can't always wait. I love the colours in your New England blanket. I am still working on baby blankets at the moment and my cross stitch but didn't have much time for either over the weekend. Have a good week. Mitzix

    ReplyDelete
  10. How beautiful your garden is, Amy, and how gorgeous your ripple blanket is spread on the hammock! The lavender and honeysuckle....in fact all your flowers...look stunning, and the stripes in your ripple match so well. I love the Diary of a Provincial Lady and it is one I like to re read every now and then. Enjoy your week, and your books and crafting, and the sunny days too.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds lovely Amy, a little bit of all my favourite things. Your new blanket looks great, a nice range of colours. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the lavender pictures. It is such a beautiful plant. I'm not sure if it will grow here, but there is a lavender farm about 50 minutes or so north of here that I keep meaning to visit. Your ripple blanket is just gorgeous I love the colour combos, fantastic!! and how nice to spend time relaxing in that wonderful hammock, so good you made the most of the fine weather before it turned. I'm sorry the hospital visit wasn't so good. Sending good wishes and hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done! Everything accomplished! Enjoy your week...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds lie the perfect Saturday to me...and the hammock is tooooooooo inviting!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a good weekend. The ripple blanket and cushion look great on the hammock. And I love how the New England blanket is looking. I must get a copy of the new Simply Crochet magazine. I wonder do they still have the last one available too with all the wedding bits and pieces in it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your lavender is way ahead of mine. Looks a pretty good way to spend a Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your garden looks so inviting (and, unlike the one here, so tidy!). Hope you have more opportunities to while away a few hours amongst your plants this week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Impressive garden and such a beautiful relaxing way/place to spend a Saturday. The blanket is a great addition to the hammock, a real delight.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful Saturday, it sounds perfect. I really need to slow down a little soon and spend such a day in the garden, if only I had a bit more time. I've never listened to books, not sure how I'd get on with that, I should give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I struggle with lavender, it just doesn't like it here. Your garden is so pretty and peaceful, what a lovely spot to just sit. I see you're reading Rebecca Shaw, I do like her books.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your garden is looking gorgeous - I'm glad you got the chance to relax and enjoy it on Saturday. x

    ReplyDelete
  22. That was a nice quiet weekend (made for me - ) and your honeysuckle is: wow!
    And the lavender and all the others...
    Greetings from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your blankets are really super Amy and the garden is looking lovely and colourful x

    ReplyDelete
  24. The flowers are beautiful. I love lavenders so much! Your crochet is amazing!

    Cheers, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for sharing your weekend with us. Saturday sounded very relaxing and your garden is looking beautiful with all your hard work. The ripple blanket looks perfect on the hammock. I'm looking forward to reading your review of the book you are currently reading as I have it on my list to read soon.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You've had a very mixed weekend... Saturday, pure bliss, and then sunday... I'll keep my fingers crossed things will get better !
    Enjoy your garden (with hammock and lovely blanket !) the next week - if the weather is similar to what is predicted over here, summer will finally be around !

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amy, your garden looks lovely right now and I like that you have a hammock and umbrellas to just relax in the shade. Your ripple blanket turned out beautifully for the hammock. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Really enjoyed reading about your weekend Amy. Your garden looks wonderful and I absolutely love that ripple blanket. I started buying Simply Crochet but to be honest the patterns were too difficult to follow. I taught myself to crochet last year and I am still at the baby stages with it. I saw the booklet the other day showing the blankets so I might buy this months copy. Joan at www.aviewtothefells.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sounds like a lovely relaxing weekend, may not for your husband though with that high hedge to clip. Your ripple blanket is very colourful and attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Amy :)

    Your Saturday sounded absolutely lovely and I'm glad you and your hubby enjoyed it. I'm sorry about Sunday though, but I'm glad you were able to enjoy the drive :)

    xo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
  31. I tried listening to books on my iPhone once but I couldn't hear them over the noise of the sewing machine so I gave up! Your hammock looks so cool. I suspect I'd just fall out if I ever tried getting on one! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  32. A very relaxing weekend Amy. Your ripple blanket is fab!,x

    ReplyDelete
  33. your hammock blanket looks beautiful out in the sun x

    ReplyDelete
  34. i feel hungry ... that meal looks delicious!! i bet the lavender is heavenly scented. we have a hammock or two need to get them out and use them. so comfortable. fun. relaxing too. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  35. Looks like a just-about-perfect Saturday, Amy, and well done on your beautiful yarny workwomanship. x

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow, you sure have been busy. Love that ripple on your hammock, it looks like a very relaxing place to be. I downloaded The Diary of a Provincial Lady for a trip I am taking at the end of the week I am also listening to The Dressmaker and loving it.
    Hugs to you Amy,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  37. The hammock looks great (I'd love one!) and it sounds like you had lots of happy moments in your weekend. You have such a lovely garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. I think your hubby is a sweetie. The hammock he set up looks so inviting with your blanket! I love your New England blanket too!
    Sorry about man and the other person you are visiting. That kind of thing is draining.

    ReplyDelete
  39. For the most part, looks like your weekend was exactly what you two needed. Some nice quiet time in your backyard oasis just enjoying your lovely garden. I love love love your beautiful blanket Amy! That hammock looks so appealing - perfect way to spend a summers afternoon

    ReplyDelete
  40. What lovely look your garden Amy, really beautiful and the crochet creations beautiful!!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  41. I enjoyed hearing about your weekend Amy ... like chatting over the garden fence ;) Your yard looks so nice and private with all your beautiful flowers, and you are lucky to have a comfy hammock to rest in. The ripple blanket looks gorgeous there! I can tell you love seeing it on the hammock too ;) I'm sorry your Sunday wasn't as relaxing as your Saturday, and that the hospital visit was disappointing. Take care my friend,
    Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love your blanket and cushion on the hammock. So bright and cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  43. what a glorious weekend! I love that you remembered to photo your weekend, I frequently forget! The blanket is gorgeous!!! (love) Thanks for joining in and I loved reading and seeing your few days :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. your flowers and that hammock with the lovely blanket make me so happy! what a wonderful weekend. :D

    ReplyDelete
  45. What a lovely weekend, I love your hammock and also that wonderful lavender - I just love it. Good idea to listen to a book whilst travelling it make a journey less stressful. I loved the Diary of a Provincial Lady - it made me laugh out loud sometimes:)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Saturday sounds blissful! Your hammock and it's blanket are fabulous. I can't believe you like Rebecca Shaw and all those village stories, I love them! X

    ReplyDelete
  47. Love your ripe blanket. Do bright and cheery. It's a great make Amy. Well done. I've made a ripe cushion snd hope to find the time to make a ripe blanket at some point

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx