Friday, 5 June 2015

Five On Friday

Gosh this week flew past in a flash!  I have this theory that since the year 2000 time sped up and sometimes I really am sure that it is true!

This week has been busy, I have been blogging, working, had a day out with a friend and have spent a little bit of time in the garden when it has been warm enough.

Here are a few moments from this week.

One.  A flock of starlings flew into the garden and starting munching on whatever bugs they were finding in the grass.  There were lots of them all over the place and they didn't mind the blackbirds joining in either.



Then, all of a sudden they flew off and were gone!  Just like that.  They flew over yesterday evening, but didn't land.  I am sure that they will be back though.


Two.  Good things in the plant department.


I have finally - it has taken years!! - managed to keep an achillea - above - going over the winter and it is now flowering!!  This solitary red hot poker - kniphofia - in the picture below has also come out.  I really must get some more of these!



The beautiful white peony has great big fat buds on it that are fit to burst, but haven't burst quite yet!  I am so excited to see them.



There are roses on the climbing rose that is going up the apple tree.  It is a Paul's Himalayan Musk.  The lavender hedge is so close to being in flower as well.  Very nearly there, and yet not quite!!  Hurry up please lavender!!


Three.  There have been some epic fails in the garden too.


The poppy flowered, during the pouring rain and cold and this is all that is left.  No beautiful pictures this year.  No post dedicated to the poppy!  Oh well.


Not as bad as these two fails though.  Above you can see another climbing rose - variety unknown - that has been blown and battered so much that it has come adrift from its support.  A job for this weekend to tie it back in and cut of the spent flowers.  I hope that it will bloom again.

The other fail is even worse though.  As you can see from this picture it appears that I am cultivating plastic covered wire and not much else.  In this bed I planted two packs of bee friendly seeds, a pack of zinnia seeds, a pack of poppy seeds, a pack of sweet peas and a pack of wild flower seeds that were given away by Countryfile - a tv show. 

These scruffy bits of plant are what is left from last year.  None of the seeds have come up.  Not one.  To be fair I didn't imagine that the sweet peas would do anything.  But I had high hopes for the rest.  Nothing.  Nada.  Not a thing.  I reckon that the birds ate them.  I don't think that squirrels eat flower seeds otherwise I would blame him.  Oh well, I will have to try something else!


Four.  Finally yesterday it was warm enough to sit out and drink our home from work cuppa in the garden!  Yay!!!  I was very pleased to be out there and so was hubby.  It was quite amazing really because on Monday we were sat freezing indoors with blankets wrapped round us - yes, we could have turned on the heating it was that cold, and we could have turned it on, but we didn't!



While we were sitting there we watched some planes fly overhead.  I was interested that some made contrails - as you can see above - and others didn't - as you might just be able to make out below.  Yes, that tiny white spec really is a plane!!  Promise.

It was blissful!


Five.  Just sitting and enjoying!  Just being and enjoying.  Just enjoying!!!  Nothing else to say there really!



So those are my five things for this week.

But.....  I have a little something to add!!!  I make the rules so I can break them right.

I just wanted to say HELLO to all new followers!  There have been a few of you in the last few weeks.  As I mentioned on Wednesday I think that I have got round you all, but if I haven't stopped by to visit please let me know and I will come and see your blog.  Thank you for following, I hope to see you here from time to time.  It is lovely to have you.

In the same vein, THANK YOU all for your lovely comments, especially this week when so many of you have had so much to say!  I really do appreciate all of your good thoughts and kind words.  So does my hubby!  THANK YOU!  You will know if you are a reply blogger that I usually try and reply to your comment, but I had to admit defeat and give up because I just couldn't get there and I wanted to come and read your blogs instead!  So THANK YOU and THANK YOU to all of the no reply bloggers who I cannot normally reply to.

Yes, I know I say thank you a lot, but there is nothing wrong with that is there.

I also wanted to ask you how the extended hours for Five On Friday are working?  Is it easier for you to post.  Are you more/less likely to visit to find other blogs because the hours are longer?  Can you let me know please!

That is it.  Thank you for stopping by today and for joining in.  I hope that you all have a great weekend and that it is filled with fun and love and joy!

Amy

********************

Thank you - as always! - for joining in last week.  I look forward to reading your posts again this week too! 



If you want to grab a Five On Friday Button or get more information about how to join in the All About Five On Friday page will tell you all that you need to know.

A little reminder in case you haven't stopped by Five On Friday recently.  The Five On Friday "opening hours" have changed and are now from 6 am on Friday until 7 pm on Saturday.  Also I will be asking everyone to either include a link or the button to my Five On Friday post within their own post, or to make reference within their post to the button if it is in their sidebar.  This is to be fair to everyone.

If you want to check out anything else about Five On Friday see the All About Five On Friday page - top right of my sidebar.

To visit other bloggers taking part, just click on the links at the end of the post.  Please do go and visit their lovely posts!

********************

63 comments:

  1. Good morning, I'm up and away to the doc now, I will come later to read and enjoy your post.
    Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry about your climbing rose, it will bloom again, maybe not this season, but surely next year ! I once had one that went completely berserk in spring, so bad it was even ugly to look at. I trimmed it down completely (and every gardener I know called me utterly crazy, I was "killing" the rose), but one year later, lo and behold, thé perfect climbing rose with more flowers than it had ever had...
    And about the seeds - in my experience, every time I receive seeds for free or buy seeds really cheap, they tend not to grow (or they produce only weeds haha)... Maybe coincidence, don't know, but still a strange coincidence...
    Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi dear Amy, I love your yard and the birds are so lovely. Hope you are doing well my dear friend. I'm starting to pack and tight about you while packingn the cute little baby hats you sent. Thanks so very much again for your kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blissful indeed, summer suddenly arrived yesterday didn't it. We ate outside for the first time. I've had similar problems with germinating those kinds of seeds outside. I tend to start them off in little pots now which works far better. You might find one or two come up in the end though. We have occasional groups of starlings dropping down onto our grass as well. I love the look of your white peony. We've got a really bright pink one that we inherited with the house. I'd much prefer it was white! Wishing you a good weekend. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Friday snuck up on me I wasnt ready for it, your garden is coming into bloom and a few more warm days and it will be a mass with scents :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Five good things!
    I agree with you about the time moving faster since 2000. The days can be long but the years are dead short, as Gretchen Rubin doesn't quite put it!
    I'm glad your garden is blooming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden is looking lovely. Thank goodness for warmer weather! Such a shame about the wildflowers- mice will also eat seeds xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just a quick visit to you Amy as I'm out for the day today so will catch up with everyone else over the weekend I too have enjoyed sitting outside for the first time in ages, your garden is lovely and the white peony looks wonderful. Have a lovely weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please send a little summer of North Amy! I have just ordered a bright yellow rain coat to brighten things up a bit. Your garden looks lovely just now. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have said this so many times you have a beautiful garden, you shouldn't consider planting seeds as failures they just haven't come to fruition yet. I really enjoyed getting outside yesterday too, got up this morning to a storm and so much rain the garden is like a swimming pool. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for starting the five on Friday Amy I love popping around and seeing what people have chosen each week. You have a beautiful garden and I love the little lamps xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have lots of lovely things in your garden Amy I'm afraid that it looks like my poppies didn't make it through the winter, the weather does make a big difference doesn't I could quite skip with delight when the weather is warm enough to sit outside, I was wrapped in blankets too on Monday but that's quite normal up here in the cold north east, yesterday was beautiful and I'm hoping that this weekend will be the same, have a lovely weekend. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice to see a bit of blue sky on your blog Amy. Our Scottish skies are very grey today! X

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shame about those seeds Amy but maybe they will surprise you later on. Did you see Gardeners World a few weeks ago with all the red hot pokers in their natural environment? It was wonderful. Five on Friday Tims are fine for me, just have to get organised in advance to think something up! Thanks for all your comments on my posts. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the climbing rose in front of the wooden wall! Any climbing flower grabs my attention, I just love them. My clematis (spell check) I bought last year is barely staying alive this year. I read they climb great.
    Loved your Friday Five as always. I haven't been having time to join in for a few weeks because our house is getting redone on the outside and it is a pure mess. Hopefully soon though, all will be back to normal.
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely garden pics, as always. Isn't it lovely to be able to sit out in the sunshine and just enjoy the views.

    ReplyDelete
  17. And thank you too:-)!! For all those lovely garden pictures.I love to see what goes on in other peoples gardens ( or houses...), and yours looks so nice! Love from Mirjam.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now I'm back from the doc (he found nothing - ) and enjoy your garden post. Nice collection of blackbirds at breakfest, this first photo is my favorite.
    Paul's Himalayan Musk - that sonunds like a wonderful scent...
    And all the others... Sorry for the rose, burt I think, it will regenerate and bloom later.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't wait to walk the dog this afternoon, it is so warm out there. On Monday I was hunting for my gloves it was that cold. Please let the sunshine last now. Love your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have some lovely blooms in your garden. That red hot poker looks really good. We were pleased to have the nicer weather back so we could sit outside with lunch and/or afternoon tea. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are right about time moving faster but dare I say it, we are getting older...
    I like the flexibility of extended hours, last week I struggled to post on the Friday and though, yeah, I will join in on Saturday, but then as it turned out I was too late to post, but it allows for us who do not remember to schedule post. x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooh, gorgeous peony buds – there's something about peonies, isn't there? Lovely photos. It's such a treat to be able to sit outside and enjoy a few moments in the Warm Sunshine(!). Have a splendid weekend, Amy. Sam x PS After my recent experience with old climbing roses, cut yours back and it will grow again. Give it a good feed and mulch and I'm sure it will come back good as new.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for hosting Amy! I love seeing into your garden, and I'm so happy that you are now able to sit out there and enjoy it! Isn't it great when a gardening venture works out? I love the bright yellow shade of your achillea (not a flower I'm familiar with). And your peonies are HUGE! My little flowers are so tiny this year and am still waiting for them to break open (one peony has bloomed and finished within the week). I really like all your little metal garden artwork pieces ... I need to work on that part of gardening a bit more ;) Enjoy your weekend!
    Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Poppies are so delicate, their blooms don't last long but even less so when it's raining and blowing a gale, still, you will look forward to them even more next year now. It's wonderful to have some decent weather at last, we've waited long enough for it to arrive this year.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks like you are getting lots of followers on your Five on Friday meme, Amy. I didn't have my thoughts together this week to join in. Love your flower pictures, especially the first yellow one. So lovely and unusual. Have a special weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You have a beautiful garden Amy! Thanks for hosting your fun party. Enjoy today and the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You are the one we should be thanking, you are so lovely to everyone.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Amy! Oh, what lovely plants you have and isn't it wonderful to see the new buds about to open! I have a little peony bush with a few fat little buds too! ;) Enjoy your weekend.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. We've had flocks of starlings with their babies too. Just like your flock ours visited one evening and then moved on to new feeding grounds. I loved watching the fat babies running after their parents with open beaks - so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yep, I do feel that time is just rushing and days are passing quickly. I've never tried to plant from seed. I bought a seedbomb from Anthropologie but don't even know where it is now. And have coneflower seeds from a friend in Colorado that I would like to try but definitely too hot to grow anything right now. Looks like you've got plenty of blooms to make up for the fails. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  31. One of my favorite things about bloggers and reading them is the sweet ordinary moments we knittiers/crocheteres share. I love LOVEMADEMY HOME

    ReplyDelete
  32. Not sure if I've left a comment or not I've been catching up with the other Fives posts! Your garden is looking great, I'm loving this weather at the moment, it's lovely sitting in the garden at this time of year x

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lovely blooms and gorgeous blue skies! Aha for summer! Hope it warms up here soon!

    ReplyDelete
  34. My Mom (Latane at Living Life on Main Street and Latane's Linky Blog) sent me over and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing your meme, and your wonderful post! I will be linking in!

    Your garden is beautiful! I loved the promise of the peonies and the wonderful lavender and poppy...they are all just so great to see! Sorry you have had such cold weather! It is triple digits here in Tucson AZ already! I can't grow much either in this heat, so I always enjoy seeing the flowers people post. Have a wonderful week, and thanks for the meme!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Just love your garden updates Amy!! It's all looking so lovely (& the fails are minor hiccups) - and those photos of those gorgeous round peony buds just make me squeal and clap my hands!! They're going to be so beautiful and can't wait to see!!

    Yay for warmer days and coffee outside - I swear there's nothing better than morning coffee among bird song. Keep enjoying the beauty and peace! Thanks for hosting! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  36. What beautiful photos! There is nothing more lovely than to just sit and be. It is part of my morning routine. Some people like noise and business but i could quite happily just sit in silence :)
    I shall definitely be joining in next friday, i have barely had a chance to take any photo's today, we have been too busy haha :) <3 xx

    ReplyDelete
  37. You have such a nice yard to enjoy the outdoors in! We have some nice sunny hot weather for the next several days, I will be out enjoying our garden, too. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  38. No peony blooms here yet either. Hopefully this weekend! I have one pink poppy that burst open this morning. I'm loving the look of your bright red one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Lovely post I do enjoy looking round your garden, I really like achillea plant, what a lovely colour.. Have a lovely weekend..
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  40. Nothing better than being in the garden. I'm afraid the weeds took over mine while we were gone.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Very pretty, late spring blooms, Amy. Love your white peonies. Along with lilacs, they are my favourite spring flowers.

    xo
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi Amy, I live in Norfolk. I had some seeds from Countryfile too, and had just given up on them, then today I saw a few little green seedlings. My garden is way behind yours, but we've had really chilly weather...and so much rain!!! Blessings
    technoturt@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. That's a great week, it's brilliant being back out in the garden. I am hopeful that I will get to just sit and enjoy at some point over the weekend. Selfishly I love the new opening hours, it gives me a chance to link before I leave for work and then read and comment later or the next day, but I would still manage even if you cut the hours back. I have my priorities right ha! Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  44. I think we got those seeds from Countryfile as well. I must ask Douglas if he sowed them and, if he did, if they grew!

    ReplyDelete
  45. i always love touring a garden....and gardens are ALWAYS a learning experience. You have way way more pluses than minuses going on....I wish I could say the same for mine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hi Amy-
    What a lovely garden you have!
    Thank you for stopping by my blog-

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  47. Wonderful to see the red, orange, and yellow in your garden. So many avoid those colors, but I love them! I like all colors and I love to see them all together. How ice to have a bug patrol flying over and swooping in when needed...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hey you!!! Look at those blooms rocking! You must post shots of the peonies when they bloom!! And the poppies! I need some of those in my life!! Great pictures from the garden today my friend and how outstanding to be able to sit back with some tea to take it all in! Happy WEEKEND!!!! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  49. Your flowers are so pretty! My hubby has tried to grow a red hot poker with no success, same with poppies. Our peonies look like they are in exactly the same spot as yours. Any day we should have flowers! Bob did plant zinnia seed and they are popping up.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Yes, I too feel time is speeding up, wish it would slow down some. My garden is woefully behind, I have plants ready to go in the ground but very few are in yet. I have had a few fails myself this year and hope that is the last of it. Enjoyed your five on Friday post will be back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hi Amy, I so enjoyed your five today, I know I'm really falling behind, this is a week over due (the visit) but I'm lurking and write as often as I can. I enjoyed all your flowers and a lovely time watching birds and flowers, even the little ants were enjoying your peony, lol have a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
  52. Really beautiful and interesting moments from the last week, Amy! Just look at those gorgeous round buds of the peony! And lavender soon flowering too. Lovely!
    I had chosen the photos for this week's Five on Friday but never had time to complete the post. Indeed the week flew past in a flash, like many weeks already before this one. :)
    Must catch up with commenting now. Have a beautiful Sunday! xx

    ReplyDelete
  53. I just love all those flowers you have just now coming into flower! I all looks so wonderful and cheery! As usual I am a day late... what is with me and Fridays lately? I must put a post-it somewhere, like my laptop, to remind me when it's Friday! LoL! I can't wait to see that white peony of your bloom. Mine is a pinkish color and it as yet has no blooms on it. It was rescued from a neighbors yard when they moved out and replanted in my garden three years ago now. Last year I did get a gorgeous flower, just one but nonetheless beautiful. We shall see what this year brings. It has many more branches this year which makes me happy just knowing it made it through our very rough, cold, and long winter.
    Well, I'm off to get my post together and again, sorry I'm late, again!
    Hugs for now my sweet blogging sister from across the pond,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  54. My other half planted out some sunflowers last night and within minutes a blackbird came along and pecked all the seeds out...
    I do love achillea, and peonies too. And lavender! You'll have a beautifully-scented garden soon. The recent wind and rain has been pretty brutal though - here's hoping it eases a bit and we get some more seasonal weather.
    S

    ReplyDelete
  55. Your garden looks lovely Amy and hubby's new path looks like its always been there. The sign of a good garden feature! xx

    ReplyDelete
  56. What a wonderful stroll through your garden paths.So lucky to have this beautiful area and spend some lovely hours in it. All plants look healthy and quite promising!
    Happy Sunday Amy!
    Olympia

    ReplyDelete
  57. The yard looks lovely, Amy. I have a feeling that it is going to be a good summer.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  58. Ah, garden "fails". they happen to all of us! I love that you took some some time to just be. We all need to do more of that!

    ReplyDelete
  59. Hey Amy,
    I get many garden fails Every year. And yet I still keep going. My biggest fail so far this year is that all the marigolds that I planted haven't grown at all. I'm rather disappointed. Oh and I accidentally killed my beautiful orange geum ;( I need to find another.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  60. Love that great big and amazing peony bud. Wanted to come and smell it.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Your garden looks fab, Amy, you (and your husband) put me to shame. I love sitting and enjoying, but I haven't put enough work in this year. On the other hand, the birds and the bugs don't seem to mind and I like watching them. You are a bit inspirational, you know. xx

    ReplyDelete
  62. Your peonies are several weeks ahead of ours. Lovely photos!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx