Sunday, 24 May 2015

Round and round the garden

Although I have been hopeless in the housework and gardening departments recently.  Hubby has still been busy in the garden though and of course the plants kept growing!  Do you want to see what has been happening...


The grapevine seems to have recovered from its untimely bleeding incident a little while ago and is sprouting well.  There are even some tiny tiny bunches of grapes forming.  I am sooooo pleased as I really thought it was a gonner and it would normally have grown much more than this by the end of May, but it is still here and still going.  So that is all good isn't it!
  

Yesterday hubby did a really big job, assisted and supervised by me of course.  It was to split and repot our yucca plant.  This is very very special to me.  Pieces of this plant have been in my family for decades and I always kept mine in a pot as I didn't want to plant it in the garden and then have to leave it behind somewhere. 

Anyway, the plant had sprouted a new baby and the pot was full and bulging at the sides so something needed to be done.  After a lot of yanking and tugging and pulling and brute force we managed to get it out of the old pot - the square one you see above - and hubby cut it with a saw - yes, literally a saw!!! - into two.  Now I have no idea if this is the right or wrong thing to do and whether or not the pieces will be happy and keep growing, but eventually you reach the kill or cure stage with some things and this plant was at that point. 

We thought that we would have to cut the old (plastic) pot off, so we started to look for some new terracotta ones.  Boy are big pots expensive though!!  So we decided to try and pull it out of the old pot and use that for part of it and hubby discovered another really big pot - also plastic, see in the picture below - that we had buried with some other things waiting to go in the skip so we could also use that. 

After all the pulling and cutting and potting, we now have two yucca's, both with a large chunk of root that I hope means they will both survive - and perhaps flower!  To give you some idea of the size each pot is over 2 feet in each direction!  I am so happy that we now have two plants!  Twice as nice.



Hubby has also been busy shovelling all that gravel that I showed you the other day and the new path is now filled in and has the slabs laid in too.  With the two pots of yucca to make an entrance it looks great doesn't it.  I am so excited.


The slabs are all recycled from the old patio that we took out last year.  You can see some on the right of the picture below that lead to the table and chairs so the different areas are all linked now by the same sorts of materials.


Here you can see the dining area.



We treated ourselves to this large concrete ammonite to put into the new path.  An ammonite is a fossilised sea snail kind of creature.  As I said though, this one is just concrete!


None of my geraniums survived the winter in the little plastic greenhouse that I bought.  I think they got too wet and got some sort of mould.  Although the greenhouse itself survived very well!  So I threw out the plants some time ago and cleaned the pots out and yesterday I went and bought some new ones.  So we will see how these fair!  I think they look very pretty on the new path.



I have also been cutting back shrubs like mad while we have the skip - it would be silly not to fill it up!  You can now see down the garden and all along the flower borders rather than having great big overgrown shrubs blocking the view of the flowers.  The shrubs will grow back again, just perhaps not quite so large in future!!




So much is flowering now or just above to.  Above is thrift, and below you can see the fat peony buds.  This will be the second year this has flowered, I am very excited!!!



A few other things, a volunteer iris.  No idea how this got here, but here it is and flowering beautifully.  The oriental poppy is also doing its thing wonderfully and putting on a great show with the first two flowers, and lots of buds, so more to come!




This beautiful yellow aquilegia has also bloomed and now have cut back the shrubs you can actually see it!


There are many buds and blooms on the climbing rose.  This has missed being pruned this year so far and was all tangled with the shrubs so I will also give this a prune now, and tie it in to the wires on the fence.  Better late than never - unless it is a grapevine.  We have learned.  Never prune that late.




The path from the other direction.  Doesn't it look lovely!!!  I know that I shouldn't say it, but I am so pleased with the way it turned out.  Just how I imagined it would be.



There was a very busy and determined bee visiting the rhododendron when I went to take some photos, he went in and out of every single flower one at a time.





My beautiful pink and white dicentra is still blooming its socks off, and the dogwood next to it has flowered as well, they look wonderful.



Just a few more path shots!  It really does look so much better than I ever hoped that it would.  Hubby really is a great worker and landscaper.  I am very lucky to have him.




Finally the weathervane.  This was a gift either last year or the year before - sorry to say I cannot remember which year!  It came on a sort of stick thing that you stuck into the ground, but it never really stayed up straight and I kept propping it up.  Then hubby - he really is very clever! - came up with the suggestion to stick just the weathervane part into the top of the obelisk.  It looks pretty good I think.  What do you reckon?  It definitely doesn't tip over any more so that makes me very happy!!


Thank you hubby for doing so much and making the garden look so beautiful.  You are a great man!!

Amy

51 comments:

  1. Your garden is looking great. :) I hope you get to sit outside and enjoy all the hard work this Bank Holiday weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hohoho am my your backyard looks, wonderful.i love all your flowers and the,beautiful colors. Just gorgeous. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all looks so beautiful, Amy. Your husband has done a fantastic job with the path. You are a lucky lady. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all looks splendid Amy. I can't wait to see the peony as well! The sun is out so you can sit back in your garden and enjoy it with a cup of tea. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. your garden is looking smashing, I love the hard landscaping with slabs laid in the gravel, we were looking at weather vanes the other week but havent got one yet :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your husband really has made a great job of the landscaping Amy - well done him. It is a lovely time of year, I don't want May to end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He has been working hard! The path is absolutely lovely, beautifully done, and it makes the garden look very smart. I love the weather vane on the obelisk as well, a great place to put it where you can see it. Your garden is going to be a wonderful place to enjoy the summer. I cut a grape vine back very hard last year, after having two or three years of masses of foliage and no grapes. It does look as if there will be grapes this year, hurray! Enjoy the rest of the bank holiday weekend Amy. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden is looking great, so much tidier than ours though I have been tidying ours up these last couple of days so it's far better than it was. I loive you ammonite, I'm wondering if I could squeeze one in our garden somewhere! I also like the look of the end of your garden with the trees. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a lovely garden with some pretty plants, Amy and a good gardener to share it with too. It must have been hard work separating out the Yucca plant but well worth all the hard work as they do look lovely against your new gravel paths. Have a lovely weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Amy, your garden is looking so beautiful. So much colour and so many pretty flowers. I love the gravel path and the ammonite....I want one of those! your hubby is a treasure! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amy your garden is absolutely beautiful!!
    I love all yours flowers and plants!
    And your hubby is amazing!
    Here hubby love works in the garden too!
    Hugs xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. All that hard work has paid off as your garden looks lovely, it really does. Now, I may need to borrow your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks as though love made your garden too. I love all the colours and they are set off wonderfully by your new paths. I hope that my new peonies will flower next year, they put on such a good show.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your garden is wonderful. It looks so loved and treasured. The path is beautifully designed and what a hard working hubby you have. Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looking good.. love the path!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OH my-
    Everything looks wonderful.
    I love the gravel path and the yucca.And now I am going to go tell my husband how hard yours has been working!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Amy! Oh I just love your beautiful garden. The path your hubby made looks so good and love your fossiled stepping stone. Your plants are so lush and pretty. I do believe you have that green thumb I envy so much! I'm sure you enjoy this outdoor space so much. I know I would.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You garden is looking fantastic - I love how you've made the new path with slabs and gravel. It's looking very colourful - I bet there are lots of happy bees and bugs around :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your garden looks lovely. Especially love the path. Joan at www.aviewtothefells.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your garden is looking great - so pretty, that new path !!
    And everything is so well maintained... No weeds to be spotted... (can you feel the slightly jealous tone ;-) ?)
    And I think you shouldn't worry about splitting your yucca - yuccas are strong plants !

    ReplyDelete
  21. The mix of slabs and shingle looks really good - a brilliant idea

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your garden looks lovely, and so tidy. I've been working in ours this morning and there is so much to do to make it presentable. It's overwhelming! I do enjoy it though.

    ReplyDelete
  23. How pretty your garden is and neat! Love the gravel path with the lanterns sitting at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Peaceful beautiful and organized, Not an easy task. LOVE your gardens .

    ReplyDelete
  25. You must be the happiest person, surrounded by such beauty.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. You have such a lovely garden. I love the stone pathway you made and all the beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks really great Amy! Lots of hard work, but it has paid off and your garden os looking very beautiful X

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a lot of work! It looks great though! I love that poppy!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a great job and a beautiful garden! Lovely each corner...
    Greetings from germany

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looking good Amy - so neat and tidy - your husband is a gem - I should hang on to him if I were you!

    ReplyDelete
  31. The path is a triumph Amy, and sets off your beautiful garden. Love that yellow iris; I didn't know they came in yellow! And your red poppies and the sweet pink rosebud. Happy Springtime xxx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your garden is looking wonderful and the path is fabulous. It's time to sit back and enjoy it all now.

    ReplyDelete
  33. You couldn't send your hubby around here could you? I love the path that he has created, a good job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love your garden path and geraniums in pots. All those flower buds waiting to burst open (peonies – heavenly)! I hope you're having a relaxing and happy long weekend Amy. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your garden is looking amazing, Amy. It's so much further on than ours is. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Amy, sorry I haven't been visiting much lately as I've been quite busy here. I think your garden looks so nice. I really like the new pathway - it turned out beautifully - and the fence with the garden along it is very nice. I'm glad your grapevine survived and is starting to produce fruit. It's such a busy time of the year and so nice to be outside. Enjoy the week ahead.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  37. Looking good!
    Kudos to your husband for the pathway!
    Have a great week Amy!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your backyard is GORGEOUS! What a good idea for the weathervane!

    Tell hubby he did a GREAT job!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Your garden is full of color now and full of promise for later. How lovely that gravel and slab pathway looks - not at all like a pool now! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Your garden is looking so lovely Amy, so neat and tidy. Your new path looks great with the slabs embedded into the gravel, did hubby cement the slabs first or are they just laid into the gravel. I have yet to start, all my shrubs are overgrown and there are weeds everywhere but I it's going to have to wait another couple of weeks until I'm over this operation. I hope your Yucca plants will be ok I have a feeling they will soon put on a huge spurt of growth now that they have new compost to play in. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  41. beautiful colours here Amy, so good to have your garden looking as you want it to isn't it! x

    ReplyDelete
  42. It's wonderful that your husband keeps the gardens looking so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  43. love the little floor you made on your garden.
    You must have beautiful time here.
    Miss xx

    ReplyDelete
  44. The garden is looking good; I love the ammonite!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Wow - kudos to your hubby's hard work (& you too of course) for such a beautiful garden! I'd want to hang out there all day Amy!! I love that path - it is perfection. All of your flowers look so lovely too. I love the weather vane - genius idea!!!
    thanks for sharing as it's so fun to get a peek. ;)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  46. Your garden is looking magnificent! The path is gorgeous especially with geraniums - so pretty. I love the weathervane, yes your hubby is really clever and has worked so hard to get it how you imagined. It's beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hi Amy, WOW is the first word that springs to mind! I am so in love with your garden!!! Everything is growing so nicely and I love the paths filled with stone. As you know, I'm re-vamping my walkway, which is nowhere near as long as yours but it is also stone. I too am going to put in path stones, squares set on point is my first thought - we'll see how they look up against the white gravel on point and if that doesn't work then they will just be set in as squares. I do so love gardening but gosh the physical work... and for this next whole week it is supposed to be in the 80 F range, and of course accompanying humidity. What would New England be without its miserable humidity, YUCK! I feel an air-conditioning week coming on, LOL!

    Those plants are lovely and huge! Sorry your geraniums didn't make it through the winter. This past winter was brutal here and my rose bushes, although they survived did suffer damage. Oh well, as you said about your grapevine, at least it is still here!

    Hugs for now,
    Beth P

    ReplyDelete
  48. Wow, it looks fabulous Amy, what a good job hubby did! Your flowers look great too, with those pops of colour! xx

    ReplyDelete
  49. Your garden is looking fab. Love the path, it looks brilliant. but I love the hedge that hides the shed too, genius idea!

    ReplyDelete
  50. You have such a beautiful garden Amy! Your husband did an amazing job with the pathway ... I really love this look with the gravel and square slabs. I would love this sort of path running through my yard too! Great idea with the concrete fossil ... I just framed a row of tiny found fossils this week ;) I do like those gardens in the boxes, and the potted plants here and there. What beautiful rhododendrons and roses you have. Everything looks so healthy and happy. I'm glad you were able to split your yucca plant ... so cool to have had it in your family for so many years. And I see you got new garden furniture ... very sleek! Enjoy your gardening!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  51. Your garden is looking beautiful, I love the path you've put in. My garden is in between Spring and Summer flowering at the moment. I know in a couple of weeks it's going to be full of colour but it's not quite there yet. I need to take some photos soon to compare with last months :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx