Sunday, 31 May 2015

A seaside walk in Lyme Regis

Lyme Regis is a beautiful little town on the south coast of England in a county called Dorset.  The area that Lyme Regis is situated in is also called the Jurassic Coast because of the huge amount of fossils that can be found in this area.  In fact the whole Jurassic Coast is a World Heritage Site.

If you have seen the film The French Lieutenants Woman you will have seen Lyme Regis as it was featured in the film and of course the book was based there.

The Cobb is the famous harbour wall.  It provides a safe harbour for the fishing boats and also provides a lovely walk for visitors to the town.  The Cobb is the main part of the town that is featured in The French Lieutenants Woman.

Lyme is one of my and my husbands favourite places in the world to visit and whenever we are anywhere near Lyme we always try and make a visit there.  On our holiday in April we went twice.  Once on the first evening for fish and chips - sadly rather unsatisfactory! - and then again for a days wandering and pottering about.

If you go to Lyme I recommend that you do not park your car right in the middle of the town as there are a couple of other car parks just a little walk from the sea front and they are massively cheaper - you can park for a whole day for just about the cost of one hours parking in the centre of the town I seem to remember!

There are some lovely shops and galleries, restaurants and a museum to enjoy.  Of course you can just sit by the sea and take it all in or go for a walk.  There is also a lovely mini golf place that looks out over the sea - what could be better!

I took so many photos - as I always do - that even after editing them and not including the selfies of hubby and I there were too many for one post.  So today I am taking you along the sea front and then later in the week I will take you along The Cobb and show you the boats.


These wonderful lampposts are all along the sea front area and the swirly shape that you see represents an ammonite which are the fossils that you mainly find in this area.


You can see The Cobb as you walk along and the little buildings on it.  Most of the beach is pebbles, but there is also a lovely sandy area that is used by families where children can dig and make sandcastles.  Everyone else just sits on the pebbles or the concrete sea wall.





You might remember that we have put a concrete ammonite in our new garden path.  It didn't come from Lyme Regis, but it reminds us of one of our favourite places.  That is why we chose it!


There are lots of really pretty houses, especially along the sea front and as you drive down into the town.  They have many architectural details that you do not see elsewhere.



Many of them are painted in fabulous seaside ice cream colours as well.  What could be better for a house by the sea - other than not having to share with the visitors if you actually live there of course!



This house is raised up so is more private and must have wonderful views from these two balconies.


I love this thatched house.  The lead drainpipes are wonderful aren't they.




This house has an amazing sundial on the front under the bay window.    A detail that you definitely don't see on many houses.



This shows the detail on one of the drainpipes on the thatched house.



The tide was out so you can see that there rocks are showing.  They are hidden when the tide is in which must have made this area quite treacherous for boats.



As we go along the seafront we get closer and closer to The Cobb.


It is good to turn back and look in the other direction too.



Walking along you go past the Jubilee Pavilion which is the tourist information office.  We have never been inside, but we admire the building from the outside.  Just a little bit further along is the National Trust shop which sells delicious ice cream - I recommend the salted caramel - and the amusement arcade where we spent a grand totally of 50 pence on one of the penny drop games - that requires 2 pence pieces these days!  It was a fun way to spend some time.



In the picture below you can see the beautiful gardens that are laid out and just to the left of them  - out of shot - is the mini golf that I mentioned earlier.



A few seagull shots are obligatory.  There are a lot of seagulls in the town - although not as many as I saw in St Ives later in the week - and there are notices asking people not to feed them.  Watch whatever you are eating with care as they will come and try to get a snack whether you are offering it or not.



The beach hut doors are painted in wonderful ice cream colours too.  They suit the area and also go well with the colours of the houses.  They can be hired by the day, week or season.  If you are staying for a week, especially with children I imagine you would get a lot of use from a beach hut.



In my next Lyme Regis post we will walk along The Cobb and see the boats!


I hope that you enjoyed your walk.  It was lovely to have you along with me!

Amy

49 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos, I love it at Lyme Regis as well. I'd happily spend the day there today if I could, it would be a real treat. The lamp posts are great, it's lovely when you see attention to detail, and an effort to make things prettier. I'm glad you had such a good time, I shall look forward to seeing the rest of your pictures. I know what you mean about the gulls, the children have had a few things taken from their hands. And I remember a woman on the beach once with a big thing of chips. One gull flew at her for a chip, she screamed and dropped the lot, and the rest of the mob descended and the whole lot was gone in about eight seconds, it was a sight to behold. I hope you have a lovely Sunday Amy. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy. Thanks for the lovely tour of Lyme sea front! I love Lyme too but haven't been there for a while. I like to pretend I'm Meryl Streep waiting at the end of the Cobb! Looking forward to the next post. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thoroughly enjoyed the walk - especially on this wet and windy morning! I love Lyme too - but haven't been for ages. I must sort that out! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely stroll, not an area I have visited but looks enchanting. Loved the lampposts. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty place! Glad to see there are some beach huts. Looking forward to seeing the holiday continue. Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful place. Were you tempted to look for fossils? X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Lyme Regis. My daughter was there on hi day with family friends last year and has just booked to go again this year. So English and quaint and summer time feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No wonder it's one of your favourite places, it looks so beautiful. A lovely place to spend a holiday. Thank you for sharing the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, lovely Amy - I love Lyme and have so many happy memories of the place. We spent our honeymoon there and whilst we were there the remnants of the film French Leuitenant's Woman were still there in the false cobbles and old signs over the pubs and shops on the main street and half a ship near the Cobb. As well as the sea front I love the museum there and the church too and the stories of the Philpott sisters and of course Mary Anning and the other fossil hunters. I'm looking forward to your next post:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my favourite places and your photos make it look so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks lovely Amy, I love those beach huts I wouldn't mind hiring one for a few days myself, looking forward to seeing the rest of your pictures. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Amy,
    I have very happy memories of holidaying in Lyme as a child. Many hours were spent playing on the beach and harbour wall. I hope to make a return visit there this summer with the boys. I suspect that my photographs will look very similar to yours; I have a thing for buildings and their details.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the tour around Lyme Regis. The lamp posts are fascinating and some of the architecture is very interesting. On your last post, are those crocheted flowers, "black-eyed Susans"? Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely place and a lovely walk. Did I guess right about the pic you posted eons ago about where you had been? Have a good Sunday, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sure would be hard not to take lots of photos of such a lovely place, all those cute little details. I love all of the colours of the houses and the beach huts, so pretty. Thank you for sharing these gorgeous photos. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. A wonderful tour, Amy - thank you! Useful too, because we're hoping to visit later in the summer (if we get a summer).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is it possible to love a place that you have never actually visited. Ever since I read and re-read Jane Austin's Persuasion I have longed to visit Lyme Regis. Thank you so much for sharing such wonderful photographs. Even in the present day with such wonderful architecture I can see what Jane Austin saw in this place. I am so looking forward to your next post about The Cobb. Lyme Regis has just rocketed to the top of my must visit list :)

    Angela - Garden Tea Cakes and Me

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gosh - beautiful photos and stunning architecture! I haven't been to Lyme Regis for many years and certainly have never taken the children - might have to add it to my list of "must-see" places - thanks for sharing!
    Caz xxi

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, I love your photos of Lyme! I haven't been there for 20 years but it all came back when I saw them. Love all your building photos and if you hadn't told me where they were, I'd have thought they were from some place on the med!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I LOVE Lyme Regis ..... I've not visited for years but you've made me want to return x
    I'll avoid the gulls though if you don't mind!
    wishing you a mellow and kind new week lovely Amy x
    love Jooles x x x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such lovely pictures, I love Lyme Regis :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Soooo beautiful!!!!
    Thank you for sharing these amazing photos!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the pictures of the building details especially. It's a great place to visit. Imagine living there! Have a good week Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think the thatched house is my favourite. I've never been to Dorset but it's on my list of places I'd like to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome! I love the quirkiness of those old buildings. You don't see details like that anymore. Such a beautiful area. On a good weather day, I could wonder there for hours and hours and hours. Thanks for sharing. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you, Amy! It was a lovely walk!
    Beautiful photos and useful information. I don't know if I will ever be able to visit such fascinating places, but perhaps I need to write down some of your advice just in case. :)
    I admired especially your seagull photos. (I have tried to take pictures of them recently, without much success.) Of all the lovely things, the beach huts with the wonderful doors are my favourites.
    Have a great week ahead! xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Do you ever get to Norfolk when you're in the UK? I live in a little village called Catfield. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  28. Whoops, sorry. I forgot you actually live in the UK. Please put it down to a Senior moment, or the wine I had with dinner this evening. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a lovely walk you took us on !!
    I've heard about Lyme Regis, but sadly haven't been there (yet).
    The architecture of those houses is fascinating ! I have néver seen such intriguing draining pipes !!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I enjoyed the walk very much, thank you Amy. I love Lyme Regis too, like Angela I'm a Persuasion fan so I can't wait for you to take me to The Cobb (mind those steps, you don't want to hurt yourself like Louisa Musgrove did). x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great photos! I've never been to St Ives but I'd like to go - it must be a really interesting place with fossils and the Mary Anning connection.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What lovely photos - these have brought back many happy memories for me, when I was younger we used to holiday in Lyme Regis very frequently. It is such a charming, and interesting, place.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love the sea and your pictures are so lovely. Thank you for taking us along!
    Seagulls are funny.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lovely photos - I especially like the close ups of all the old architectural/building details.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lovely photos, Amy. Will you be showing us the selfies of you and your hubby? If they're even half as bad as the ones we take, I doubt you will be! ;oD

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you for taking me on such a beautiful walk!! I can not get over those beautiful buildings, the architectural details, the colours, amazing! How on earth would one replace a thatched roof ?!? Or do you have to? The sea is timeless isn't it? I can sit and look out for hours. And a salted caramel ice cream cone, Amy, you are killing me!!! I'm so envious!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I liked the atmospheric photos of the beach and the interesting architecture you show. I read a book about Mary Anning, the fossil hunter a few years ago and would love to visit especially as our grandson and his parents go there most summers and also spend a week in St. Ives - both favourite holiday places.

    ReplyDelete
  38. We love visiting Lyme and so it's been wonderful viewing it through your eyes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I think I would like to live in the house with the sundial on the front. Wouldn't that be WONDERFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a beautiful place! I love the thatched house, the lead drains, the sundial, the colors... I love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi Amy,

    I loved seeing this beautiful place - Lyme Regis looks gorgeous with the pretty coloured houses and also how lovely the street lamps are. I can see why you enjoy visiting here and thanks for sharing your photos.
    Happy new week
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow Amy such lovely pictures, thank you for sharing... I too love Lyme!
    bestest d xxx

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi Amy, two wonderful posts on Lyme Regis. I have heard of it, but knew nothing about it, and now I want to visit! The architecture of those houses in so unique and individual, and the ice cream colours perfect by the sea. I love the lamp post design too, very nice and striking. The shots of the boats, the sea and the cobb are all wonderful, I can almost smell the sea air! xx

    ReplyDelete
  44. Love the beach and the seagulls. I really only love seagulls in photos, in life I've found them to be aggressive, pushy birds, but they do photograph well :-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  45. What wonderful photos of Lyme Regis. The lampposts are wonderful and so great that the planners/designers wanted something that evokes the region.

    ReplyDelete
  46. What a picturesque seaside town. You make a great tourist guide Amy - do you hire out? Love the old homes, and that sundial on the front of the house looks ancient ... and it still works!! Love the ammonite details on the street lamp. It's nice when something functional is made beautiful too. We don't have beach huts here, and I don't really understand their purpose. Are they just empty inside to house beach paraphernalia? The pretty doors look great!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  47. Great photos Amy. I've never been to Lyme Regis but it looks like a great place to visit.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  48. When we go to the seaside we have the 2p Challenge. Everyone is given £1 worth of 2p coins and the only rule is that all of the £1 must be put in the penny (2p) shovers. The winner is the person with the most money & prizes at the end. Prizes add to the value!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx