Monday, 20 April 2015

What is in your basket?

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that every single crafter in possession of a good project, must be in want of a basket.  A line of course borrowed in part from Pride and Prejudice, but it is so true!

Every craft blogger that I see seems to have a project basket or bag with all their important things in it.  Often a lovely stash of yarn or a great project - or two!

Today I thought that I would share my basket and the contents with you.  It is a fairly ordinary shopping type basket, fairly large and sturdy and with a fabric liner that it came with.  The liner is very important because it means that yarn and fabric do not get snagged on the willow canes.

I have added a couple of pom poms, but it needs some proper decoration - someday...



So, the contents!!  Two notebooks.  One - on the right - for writing proper notes in, dates I start and end projects, what I did and yarns used and so on.  The other a large A4 size spiral round book for working things out, jottings, trying out patterns.  What you can see here is my trying to work out code for my new hexi blanket.  If you can figure this out you are a genius because I can't!


There are tins with all kinds of things in.  I love tins!  This one is currently for my quilting project.


Just look at all of the things this rectangular tin holds.  Two smaller tins, one full of quilting pins - I am removing them as I tie in the previously pinned squares, the other small tin holds the embroidery threads and little scissors.


There is also a needlebook - one of my Mollie Makes kits and the first hexi patchwork that I have ever done.  They are only 1/2 inch hexies!


I love these scissors!!  I always wanted a pair and now I own some.


The little cat cross stitch was leftover from a project that I did at Christmas and the poor bunny has been hanging around for years.  At some point I will work him up and them sew these two together to make a little dangly thing to hang from the scissors - as you do!


My heart shaped tin is for all of my crocheting needs.  Well, I say all, some is more accurate.


Little tiny tins for a tape measure and stitch markers - these were freebies with magazines, a thread cutter, scissors in a little bag that I embroidered last year, a needle threader - should be in the other tin really! - a needle book, large pins - another freebie, an eraser - no idea why that is there - and a needlebook for my big darning in needle.  The little crochet flower is for me to poke the needle into when I am working.


There are also a couple of other oddments.  A crocheted bunny, the silver thing is a bookmark for marking pages in a pattern if I am working on one and the square is another freebie make that is in this tin for some reason that I know not!


Crochet hooks are currently living in this pencil case.  It works well in that they all fit and are kept securely together.  However, they are in a bit of a jumble and it isn't very organised.  Last year I bought a gorgeous fat quarter of Kaffe Fassett fabric to make a roll for them all.  Still not done...


The a few other odd things too.  The box of tissues and pen are probably self explanatory.  The blue oval thing is a magnetic pin/needle holder that I use sometimes.  The long thing in the front is a glass nail file.  I have several of these because I am always snagging my nails and there is one in my basket because I don't want to catch a nail on anything I am working on.  The thing in the middle is a temperature gauge.  Not for taking my temperature, but the temperature of the room.  Again, no idea why this lives in my basket, but it does and I do refer to it sometimes!  The mug is not for tea or any other drinks.  It is what I drop all my ends and scraps and any other debris into.  Easy to spot, use and empty!


Of course there is work in my basket too!  Currently a sort of scarfy thing that I am not enjoying working on.  It is in one of my crocheted baskets.

There you have it, one work basket and the contents!!  Probably a very odd assortment.  What is in your basket?

Amy

47 comments:

  1. Nothing more fun than looking into an other craftster's basket !!
    I am seriously jealous about that thread cutter - I never have found one here !! Strange, isn't it... Maybe it is something typically english ? Maybe I just don't look hard enough for one ? It's not that I need one - scissors can do the job as well - it's just such a cute thingy !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a few baskets & bags. Therefore a few unfinished projects. I just love starting things. Also keep my crochet hooks in a pencil case, which for me is superbly organised. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I daren't show you my basket. Or should I say baskets, bags corners. So many WIPs that I'm ashamed

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have several baskets, one for each craft ie crochet, quilting, sewing. I love you scissors, they are a real delight. I have been looking for an antique pair for some time but to no avail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to see all of those indispensable craft things in your basket. I have things tucked away all over the place, but you've made me think it would be a good idea to get one big basket for it all. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marvellous, what a kit basket. I have stuff all over the place and am currently cooking up the idea of getting it all in one place but I will require more than a basket! I have those scissors and I love them. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't possess a basket (see, I keep telling you I'm not a proper crafter!), I just use whichever bag the yarn came in (which is handy to use afterwards to squish my usual knitted/crocheted mess in the cupboard). I do have a pair of those scissors, though. Somewhere. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have three baskets on the go at the moment. One has all the yarn and things for my crocheted throw. This lives in the living room. A smaller basket has scissors, thread for my quilt plus my diary and some papers I really should throw away. The third one has been in a corner of our bedroom for awhile now. It's got things for my (abandoned) embroidery projects. I wish the contents of my baskets look as neat as yours. I especially love your Cath Kidston tins. X

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are much more organised than me! Lots of bags and baskets, and I have no idea what lives where. On my "To Do" list is to sort out my yarn corner. It's long overdue! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your basket is beautifully organised Amy, and I hang my head in shame! My several baskets and bags and always quite a mess, and I need to take myself in hand. Perhaps I should start with some of your good ideas regarding little tins to keep things neat, and a notebook to record what I am doing. I do have some stork scissors, and a thread cutter, and love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely assortment of things. My basket is piled high with fabric :o) Lovely to see what is in yours- hope that didn't sound too nosey! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love a catch-all basket, tub....whatever... to kind of keep things looking a bit neater than all scattered about. Loved looking though your goodie basket today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the idea of this post!! I think I'll take your lead and do a post of my basket contents - although mine are not quite so orderly as yours!! Such pretty things - love your lilac bits too, J9 x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also have a basket and not sure I would show it at present. I once took the contents from my timber sewing box and showed it on my blog and am still amazed at what it contained, but it can't live next to my chair in this house so now have the basket. Thanks for showing and I found it interesting peeping into another crafter's bakset. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I couldn't stop at one basket, I have several. They're all overflowing and messy, but I know where everything is and I have them strategically placed around my sofa for easy access.

    ReplyDelete
  16. very wise to keep it all togetherx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed the tour of your basket. To know what is in MY basket, you'll have to pop on over to my blog later this week. You've given me a great idea for a blog posting. I'm going to be naughty and steal your idea! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooh, my basket overflowed and turned into three. The original one is sadly unloved upstairs. I now have a knitting bag with my current knitting project (a knitted toy lion in), a crochet book open and harbouring three finished squares as well as the wool and hooks to make some more. Everything else is strewn unceremonially around the house. My sewing box is near the sewing machine because that's what I've been doing this last week.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i do have a crochet work basket, but everything is scattered all over the place. I like the idea of putting all my crochet needles in a pencil case.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have a sewing basket, which holds all the things I need for current projects as well as basic staples. I also have a big market basket where I keep the yarn for a current crochet project.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I don't have one but I wish I did. I would love a willow basket to deliver baked goods. I love your colourful bits and bobs x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love to see what is in your basket, I have three different baskets going right now so you can imagine the mess I have.
    Hugs,
    MEredith

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes, I pack a basket and sometimes a makeshift tv tray if i need that. Mainly I pack paints, stencils, sponges and such for my crafting.
    I have a collection of baskets hanging on a basket tree, but no idea why I've never grabbed one for use. lol
    Need idea for a post!
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have a make up bag my daughter bought for me sometime ago but it doesn't contain make up oh no it is full of all my odds and ends that I use for my crafting. Maybe I will have to do a post on it one day. I always find it interesting to see what other people keep their crafting items in. I have a pair of the scissors you have in your post and I love them too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So fun to get a peek into someone else's basket of goodies! thanks for sharing - I love those adorable little cross stitch critters!!

    You've seen my baskets from when I did my office/craft organization post - mostly paper crafting over here! Lol
    Happy week ahead Beautiful! xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your basket look lovely Amy!
    I have two with some things Im knitting but still I dont finish!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for the peek into your basket. You have quite a few projects going on at once but it seems you are managing them very well in spite of the one you are not enjoying so much at the moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh Everything you own and show is so feminine! Flowers, pretty soft colors. Love the sneak peek into your basket

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh your basket looks lovely. I'm just starting out on my crafty journey and would love to 'earn' the right to own one. I have a feeling mine would also contain a secret stash of chocolate. X

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh I have baskets , One for my breads , one for my plants, one for my sewing things , and on and on lol ! I love baskets . one thing I don't have is fresh eggs in my basket ,one day I hope to lol . you have lots of pretties in your baskets, Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  31. What an excellent assortment of crafty things in your basket - mine is similar, except that I don't have any crochet in mine!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have a little scissors just like yours, but it didn't come along with your wonderful talents!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have a pouffe with a lid which is filled with wee boxes of sewing stuff, crochet stuff and all sorts of other stuff. In fact, Tilly (daughter's dog) was sniffing at the lid tonight and, when I opened it to see why, she pulled out her toy snake which had been put in there to be mended. I'd forgotten it was in there but she hadn't! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow, that's a lot of little things! I enjoyed peeking into your workbasket!

    ReplyDelete
  35. You make good use of your basket! So many projects to keep you busy!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love all your pretty tins and containers. Always lots of stuff on our baskets. I have two baskets and a knitting bag full of things for knitting plus my favourite tea bags!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a lovely basket of pretty things! I have three osier baskets but I don't have crafting work in any of them. I have a square basket which has picnic things in it, a round one which I used to use for work everyday and a huge Norfolk potato basket which has a couple of little cushions in it as one of our cats likes to sleep in it:)

    ReplyDelete
  38. If only I had only one basket of half done projects! Your basket looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  39. What great assortment of goodies in your stitching basket!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Only one basket? I have three at the moment just full of wool to crochet into a (nother) blanklet!

    ReplyDelete
  41. My basket currently has a shed load of 4-ply for knitting into a blanket. I haven't started because I don't know what blanket to do yet. I don't know when I will know, but hey!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Your basket is full of lovely potential. I have a couple of work baskets - one with lots of hexagons that I'm ever so slowly piecing into a quilt (I think it will be a very small quilt), and another for embroidery projects. Your bits and pieces are fun to see.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm impressed with how much you've fitted into just one basket. I'm ashamed to say that I have multiple baskets - the other members of my household are constantly tripping over them! I've got some of those stork scissors too - I'd admired them for years and then one Christmas my sister gave me a pair. I love your tin collection - that's a bit of an obsession with me too. love Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a great post! I think my basket may need some fixin' up. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love baskets,especially vintage ones from the 50's and 60's. Yours is very nice and orderly Amy X

    ReplyDelete
  46. I loved peering in your basket when I saw the post last week. I was quite inspired to share mine but got caught up in things but will do it later. Totally with you re: the LD nail file, they are the absolute best.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I LOVE peeking into other people's craft baskets, Amy! Such fun.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx