Tuesday, 7 April 2015

Round and round the garden

There is so much happening in the garden right now.  Every day it seems to have changed in some way or another.  The peony is starting to show some shoots, daffodils are flowering, muscari, new green shoots all over the place!  It is so wonderful to see all that is going on and happening.  I could spend hours out there just wandering around marvelling at everything that is growing.  How does everything know just the right time to pop up, and to keep on popping up year after year.  What greater miracle could there be.

So here is what is going on in the garden this week.

Sadly though I have to start with something that isn't quite so good.  I usually prune the grapevine back hard in the spring and it immediately starts to fatten up the remaining buds and soon springs into growth.  So a few weeks ago I pruned back the vine. 

Yesterday though I noticed that something was amiss.  I don't know if you can see, but the top of this stem is all shiny and sticky looking.  My grapevine is bleeding sap.  There is nothing that I can do as if I cut more it will only make it worse.  I hope that it will be OK.  This has never happened to me before - or to the vine!  Only time will tell.  There is only this one branch that is bleeding sap, but I am worried that it will affect the whole plant.  I will keep you posted!

Update - see below comment from Winwick Mum and follow the link she suggests, it gives more info and shows that I probably pruned too late and with hindsight, I do remember that I pruned it much later than I normally do.  It should be OK though apparently!  Thank you Winwick Mum!


On to more positive things though.  This shot is just for Jane in Canada, she loves seeing Mr Robin!


There are so many wonderful blossoms in our garden and the neighbours.  The flowering currant is wonderful - and is getting it's own post later in the week! - and the forsythia could not be bettered either.


I sometimes wish that I was brave enough to let our forsythia take over and just grow into a massive plant like our neighbours as their's is so wonderful in the spring.  I don't think that I will though, as I can just enjoy this over the fence and then have more space in our garden for the rest of the year!


You can see that ours is rather smaller, but this did have a hard prune back last year and again this spring, so it will be bigger again by the end of the year I am sure!


There is a lone daffodil in the middle of the snowdrops - which have now finished - it has popped up each year, all alone, but lovely nonetheless.


The laurel that I cut back hard last autumn is growing really well, so many new shoots all over the place.  It just shows that you really can cut laurel back hard and control it as you wish and then it will reward you with new shoots.  Much better I think than some evergreens that you cannot keep under control.



The primroses are beautiful aren't they.  The twiggy bits are the lavender hedge that is coming back to life slowly.  The picture below also shows up an urgent need for more weeding...



Last year I received these anemones from Leanne and they have done well and are putting on a beautiful show of flowers again this year.  The gift that keeps on giving!


Although a certain number of my tulips have not come up - I am still blaming Mr Squirrel for stealing them - there are two varieties poking their heads out.  These are very odd though as the flower bud is at ground level with no stem showing.  I haven't seen this before.  Again, I will let you know what happens...



You are quite possibly fed up with seeing daffodil shots by now, but they are so beautiful that I just cannot resist them!


Appearing on the blog for the first time this year though are the blue muscari - grape hyacinth.  These are a paler blue colour, not the very dark colour that you sometimes see.  Once they have finished flowering I really must remember to divide them this year.  They are rather overcrowded!


To finish some foliage.  This belongs to a shrub that I have been trying to remember the name of all the time I have been writing this post and cannot for the life of me think of.  If I remember I will come back and edit the post to update you.  In any case it is a beautiful colour isn't it!

Update Number 2 - Five and half hours after I wrote this post I remembered the name of this shrub!  It is a Spirea!  Oh my poor worn out brain cells!


That is what is growing in our garden this week, but there will be more to come!  I hope that you have a good week in your garden.

Amy

45 comments:

  1. Can never be fed up of daffodils, Amy - they are so lovely and cheering to see. Our gardens are waking up now to Spring and this lovely sunny weather we are experiencing is helping so much to get things started. Hope your grape vine will be ok. Enjoy your garden:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your grape vine should be fine, the bleeding is to do with the pressure of sap in the plant and the time of year that you cut it. This article will tell you a bit more https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=325 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the article details, I have gone and read it and am reassured! I think that I pruned it much later than I normally do and reading the article that seems to be the cause of the problem. Thank you again! xx

      Delete
  3. your garden is looking lovely :) I really enjoy these posts and being able to join in with my own garden has also been fun. I've got a post planned for Friday about some new plants I bought recently :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Particularly envious of you and your neighbours' forsythia! So beautiful and vibrant at this time of year X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful looking garden, mine needs some serious work but the weather has not been kind. The hyacinth is stunning, such a beautiful colour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. how lovely to see all the spring in your garden. and I love that you can enjoy your neighbour's plants as they tower over the fence and shower your garden with colour x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the single daffodil! Was it a small bulb that hid amongst the galanthus, or one that fell into the wrong place when they were carried out? I don't know, but it just goes to show that you bloom where you're planted!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm completely with you on the loving seeing everything burst back Amy - it's proper soul food! I love the sweet yellow primroses - we have some clumps that really need dividing but again it's easy to forget once they have finished flowering! Hopefully the weather this week will give you plenty of time to get outside and enjoy the flowers. Looking forward to meeting you on Saturday x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun to have such a pretty garden, Amy. I'm happy to enjoy your daffodils any time, and they look so sweet with Mr Robin. The forsythia is gorgeous, and I love the combination with your pink blossoms. Very pretty! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love looking at your garden. I may even work up the courage to take a look at mine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your garden is looking full of colour. :) I spent ages wandering around yesterday - the number of bees working hard, really caught my attention. Wishing you a happy week. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Amy,
    I'm so pleased to see the Anemones are flowering again! That makes me so happy. And I'm glad that your grape vine should be okay too. As for the Forsythia....wow! Mine is rather straggly this year. Marc gave it a haircut, and I don;t think it appreciated it.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your garden is looking so pretty Amy and WOW your anemones are gorgeous!
    Good luck with the grapevine x
    love Jooles x x x

    ReplyDelete
  14. There's so much going on at this time of year, and things seem to change day by day it happens so fast. Your neighbour's forsythia is stunning, absolutely beautiful and the anemones are really pretty, I bought myself a plant this year having never grown them before and I'm hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't wait to see what the "ground" tulips look like when they bloom. There is one thing you can say about gardening. There are ALWAYS surprises.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your plants are beautiful, I love blue and purple flowers. I check our garden every morning to see what's come up or started flowering. I have beans to plant today.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your garden is coming on a treat Amy, there are stirrings in my garden but nothing substantial yet, I do have lots of lovely daffs and I have just picked a few for the vase, my fence fell on top of my vine so it took a bit of a bashing I'm hoping it will be ok it is looking quite dead at the moment but it's early days. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely photos, Amy! I so understand why you could spend hours in your garden admiring the fresh growth.
    We still have snow and ice in our gardens, but today I had some blissful moments working and smelling the soil...
    Have a great week! xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh !! The blossoms! These pictures bring joy to my heart. We had snow again this past weekend but I am happy to say my daffodils are beginning to peek out of the ground. Can't wait to see my forsythia become a ray of sunshine just like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely lovely!! All so pretty Amy. I love the container full of daffodils! And the Forsythia is gorgeous. You will see by my post today that it doesn't look like that here! :) Have a lovely week. xx Pam

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad your vine should be ok. I think it's been so cold for so long we've forgotten our normal rate of doing things. I remember Easter as the time to plant flowers but it's only been sunny for 2 days this year so far!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks warm and colourful there! I can hardly wait to see some of the same here. ;))

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice photos - in the garden happened many... Sorry to read about your grapevine, but I think it will recover (one year I cut a bush too late, has very "blooded", but is growing again)
    Good luck and have a nice time
    (we had a bad cold here, but in next days will be warmer and I will go out too)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ooh, lots of lovely colour in your garden (and your neighbour's - that forsythia is magnificent). The anemones here have no flowers, sadly, just a mass of leaves. But we do have daffs!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my, your garden is incredible !! I'm stilling waiting for the first signs of colour here - only the forsythia is doing well, but the rest of the garden, disappointing... And patience is not one of my strenghts ;-))).

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wooohoo....woohoooo!
    ROBIN!
    If ever robin goes missing,you'll know where to find him.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your garden is looking full of life and so pretty - it's such a lovely time of year isn't it. Have fun in your garden this week, hope the vine is ok. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm so happy the vine is going to be ok....doesn't it just make you a nervous wreck when you are worried about a plant?? My white birch is showing horrible signs of bug infestation at the moment which makes me think I have a bit of rot going on. Oh well....time will tell! Your blooms made me sing on this cloudy and wet Chicago day! I NEVER tire of seeing daffs so bring em on lady! I so enjoyed the garden tour my friend and only wish that we could each sit and chat in our gardens together!! Happy week to you!! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  29. Amy, your garden is looking fabulous and Spring is a wonderful time of the year.
    The muscari is is stunning ,we have some in pots, and my favourie is the
    gorgeous Spirea (so pleased you remembered the name).

    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Amy, a wonderful variety of colors...especially the yellow and the purples. I leave all that pruning, etc., to Hubby who is a master gardener.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh I just love these posts Amy! I don't think I can ever get enough of the garden photos and those beautiful flowers and green growing things (ooohhh those daffodils just make me SMILE!). Feel free to share away as much as you like. We have cold and gray right now and still mostly brown ground, but there is hope. The tiniest little bits of green popping up through our soil (our lilies).

    I just keep telling myself to be patient and it will be worth the wait. I'm sure enjoying your garden for now! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your garden is looking so cheery and pretty! We can't keep tulips growing here either. I think your Mr squirrel has relatives in the states. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. The flowers look beautiful Amy, it lifts the spirit to see them. xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. I found a forsythia this weekend. There is one growing, albeit very sickly looking, just beyond where we cut back all the rhododendrons. I shall have to see if I can revive it. It doesn't look a patch on yours, much less your neighbour's!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Amy your garden looks wonderful, full of colour...
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love seeing what other people have in their yards and gardens. I really like that bright yellow forsythia. We will be moving later this year and will get to start from scratch (or pull out someone's old stuff and put in our own stuff). I always get ideas from seeing other peoples plants and flowers. I like your little garden in the second picture.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh my! How wonderful to see your garden with all the blooming spring flowers. I am eager to see if anything will pop up in mine this year. I did not get out to my forsythia bushes today to snip branches for forcing as a huge sheet of ice prevented me. I try to keep mine trimmed because they'd take over the world if allowed. Have fun in that sweet garden of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Beautiful spring garden!

    ReplyDelete
  39. It is truly a delight to see all these beautiful colors! It is hard to choose a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  40. just look at all that springy-ness!!! beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Your garden is looking so beautiful. Enjoy!
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  42. You're more than welcome, Amy, glad the problem's sorted! xx

    ReplyDelete
  43. How pretty everything looks, Amy, and the hyacinths are my favorites. It must be wonderful spending time in the garden, just puttering about.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  44. That forsythia is beautiful! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx