Friday, 24 April 2015

Five On Friday

Gosh, it is surprising how time flies past isn't it.  Where have seven days gone already!

I hope that your week has been good and that you have some fun things to share today for Five On Friday.

Sorry that you haven't heard much from me for the last week or so, I haven't forgotten you, promise!  I will explain all in a day or two.  I have been reading your posts and keeping up with your news though.  Thank you for still dropping by here, it has been lovely to hear from you.  Everything has been good - really good in fact!

Anyway, on with my post!  Today I have five culinary things to share.  Things that I need in the kitchen or for the kitchen to make my food tasty and to keep me happy!  Of course I have salt and pepper and a range of dried herbs, spices and different oils.  These five are the extra things that I need!

1.  Fresh herbs!  A must for me.  I don't normally have daffodils growing with them though, these pots are going to be moved now! 

I grow mint in a separate pot as it can spread like crazy otherwise.  In this bed I grow sage, thyme, chives and rosemary.  My parsley also seems to be keeping on going.  When the weather warms up I add basil in.  Basil is a very soft herb and needs the weather to be warm otherwise it will just die.

I also have a marjoram plant in here, but at the moment it is looking rather sickly so I might need to replace it.  A second thyme plant died over the winter so I might also replace that, or I might just plant more basil.  I love basil!!


2.  This is not an ingredient that you can buy easily in England, but I can get this and the next two seasonings in the American section of the large grocery section in a garden centre some way from where we live.  It is quite a trek to get to so I don't go often.

When I do go I stock up with things!

Seasoned salt is a mix of salt and other seasonings.  It just adds an all round savoury note to dishes that I like.  A little sprinkle here and there can pep up all kinds of things.


3.  Lemon Pepper is lovely!  It is different from freshly ground pepper - which I use a lot - the pieces of pepper are larger and of course there is the lemony note too.

Recently I made a mushroom risotto and added a good dose of lemon pepper and it really bought the dish to life.  Fans of The Pioneer Woman will know that her husband sprinkles this liberally onto steaks too!


4.  Old Bay seasoning is one of my favourites, but it is a real love of my hubby's.  We coat chicken or prawns in this and then grill or barbeque them, served with salad, rice, on top of a risotto, or any other number of ways you have a delicious meal with only a very little work.  I haven't tried this in anything else, but perhaps this summer we will give it a go!  I imagine that it would be good sprinkled on roasted veggies....


5.  Finally, and perhaps most importantly of all.  Chilli sauces.  Tabasco and hot sauce!  I love tabasco and will add it to all kinds of things.  There is also a green tabasco, but I cannot seem to get that right now for some reason - I will keep looking!!

Obviously I add a little of these to chilli, but have you tried a few drops of tabasco on a fried egg - or scrambled egg...  In a pasta salad, over some tomatoes, in soup.  There are all kinds of ways to add some pep to your step with a little chilli sauce!  Green tabasco is still hot, but has a different flavour note in case you were wondering what the difference is!


These are the five things that add the extra little something to my cooking and that I like to have at hand!  What extra things do you need in the kitchen?

I hope that you all have a great weekend of cooking with lots of tasty dishes to enjoy!

Amy

p.s. I am not sponsored by anyone to write about these products!

********************

Although I have changed the layout of this post, you are still very welcome to take part in Five On Friday!  I just thought I would swap things about a bit.



If you want to grab a Five On Friday Button or get more information about how to join in the All About Five On Friday page will tell you all that you need to know.

To visit other bloggers taking part, just click on the links at the end of the post.  Please do go and visit their lovely posts!

********************
 

46 comments:

  1. Herbs and spices bring dishes to life, don't they? I use garlic quite a lot in my cooking and paprika and basil feature a lot too. Thanks for hosting Five on Friday, Amy :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Amy!
    What an interesting post! Your herbs look lovely. The small Tabasco bottles are very familiar to me, because some members of our family love chili sauces... and add some sauce to almost everything. :)
    Thank you for hosting Five on Friday! Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never come across seasoned salt before, I will certainly be looking out for some and giving it a go. I have loads of herbs in the garden too perfect for the kitchen. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning, I'm back this week.
    What a famious idea to put the mint in a pot - I will do too, have empty pots enough now (after the dead of my geraniums).
    Oh yeah, fresh herbs are a must have in the kitchen. Even though I'm not a big fan of kitchen working...
    Have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a vast array of spices/condiments for cooking here... Including all kinds of seasoned salts.
    Everywhere I go on holiday, I always look for typical local things to buy. It is almost an addiction...
    And now you got me curious about that Old Bay Seasoning... That will have to come home, on our next trip to England !

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's an interesting selection of condiments. I don't use spice blends other than a Cajun mix, in which I toss potato wedges (to be baked in the oven). Maybe an idea for your Old Bay Seasoning? My husband loves hot sauces, the hotter the better. I'll look out for lemon pepper, I love pepper and I love lemon. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh like the sound of Old Bay, not heard of that before. My favourite fresh herb has to be coriander, but any fresh herb is a must for me. We grow lots of different ones here. And we wouldn't be without Worcester sauce in this household and lets not forget fresh chillis with nearly everything !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have Sage in my post today, when I looked at my pots it seems that I have the odd Geranium but the rest are herbs, it could be a lot worse though. I add all sorts to my dishes too, often on a whim. I have not tried Old Bay Seasoning though, I will have to look for it at the Supermarket. I have something to do today, so I am going to reward myself later with a trip around everyone else's five. Have a lovely day Amy and as always, Thank You for hosting xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lemon pepper we came across it on one of trips to America we had it on freshly cooked corn cobs with butter, it was from a street vendor, we can get lemon pepper here now from the butchers were we used to live, when we run low Martin will have to buy more. We have a nice collection of chilli sauces too, lovely post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely to have fresh herbs in the garden, I think my favourite is basil but we have mint and parsley too, plus rosemary, thyme and chives. I also use ground black pepper and garlic, tomato puree and 'hendos' (Henderson's relish) are other things we use often to pep up dishes as we rarely use salt:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. All this talk of food has made me hungry ... and I've just had my breakfast! LOL I do like the sound of that lemon pepper. I'll need to keep my eyes open next time I go down the spices aisle. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the american collection, I would love to tray the seasoning on the prawns, sounds yum!, I love Cinnamon I use it alot in baking, on oats in the winter, and Jerk seasoning I love it on chips or wedgesxxHave a nice weekend!xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Amy, please remove my last comment. I have now worked out how to add your image. I had a setting which said to ignore HTML, once I had changed that it worked ok.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do love lemon pepper. When I was little, I can remember going to the neighbor's house, and putting lemon pepper on saltines, then a squeeze of lemon juice and own the hatch. Perhaps that was the poor mans version of oysters on the half shell. Ha! I use cajun seasoning when I want spicy. And my son now has me hooked on siracha rather than regular hot sauce. Too hot here for mint on the balcony now. Have a fab Friday. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wonder if you could recreate the seasoned salt? I have a large array of herbs and spices and when I have run out of garam masala in the past I've been able to make my own using a mixture of other spices. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am a big fan of all those except Lemon Pepper. I just don't seem to have a taste for that one. Have a great weekend, Amy! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Amy,
    What a lovely garden and spices. Hope you have a nice Friday and weekend. Thanks for hosting too.
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just want to say that I am jealous you are gardening. It snowed here this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love old bay especially on seafood , I bought some back from Florida. For me, I must have garlic. I'm also very fond of sumac. A middle eastern spice. It lends a tartness. I sprinkle it on salads .There is a chicken dish that you use a few tbsps. of sumac and lots of sliced onions and chicken thighs with the skin on and you bake them until the chicken has a crispy skin. The onions become meltingly tender ,sweet and sour and the chicken crispy. It's great.
    I am a chilli sauce fiend cant live without chilli. Great post. Have a lovely weekend

    ReplyDelete
  20. My husband is a hot sauce NUT! Most of our refrigerator is filled with all his crazy-hot sauces.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My poor old marjoram isn't looking too happy either Amy buuuuuuuuut - the garlic chive is alive and doing well! I must say I tend to stick to the same old flavourings so it's good to have a bit of a heads up on some new stuff - might try and find some of that lemon pepper as risotto is one of my favourite things. Have a lovely weekend x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  22. The lemon pepper sounds lovely, I bet it gives dishes a bit of a zing. I can't add anything too spicy or hot to dishes as Mick likes his food very plain and can't tolerate the mildest of heat.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Basil all but grows wild here, we always have some in the garden. My husband love Old Bay too, I use it when we do a Low Country Boil or Gumbo.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love herbs and spices, I chuck them in everything. I like the sound of lemon pepper!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the seasoned salt and I use it a lot on all sorts of different things.
    I love the herb garden shots you have shared. Love seeing how others grow things!
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Amy! Oh, you're making me hungry and I love your favorite fives myself! Hope you're doing well and have a nice weekend.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fresh herbs are the best! I love your raised beds - they are great for gardening. I really like Tabasco with chipotle peppers - adds a smoky flavor. I purchase all my spices through the mail - Penzeys.

    ReplyDelete
  28. You're a Gal after my own heart and I'm with you on every single seasoning!! I can't wait to get my fresh herbs going again. The only thing I have to use sparingly is hot sauce as my hubby doesn't like things spicy at all.
    Thanks for being a wonderful hostess as always!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love your herb garden! It's beautiful the way you have planned it. I haven't tried the lemon pepper but I do love Old Bay seasoning. It's a classic! Thanks for hosting such a wonderful party :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fresh herbs are the best, we chop them and add them to salads. M grows chillies and puts them with everything :o) xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. You have introduced me to some new things there (and I thought I was a good cook!) lemon pepper on risotto - gotta try that one. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ah we use many of those items right over here at my house. Hope you are having a great adventure.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  33. I must say I love fresh herbs but with the convenience of a supermarket around the corner I've never tried to grow my own. It's now on the list of things to try. X

    ReplyDelete
  34. My fav seasoning is salt from the island of Lesvos which also has dried herbs added. It goes great on chips!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I like the small fenced in raised bed you have for your herbs, my favourite mint is chocolate and it's best to be in a pot too.
    We don't have Old Bay in Canada that I know of so I bought a tin in Florida this winter. It is a nice mixture of spices and so far I've only used it for shrimp.
    I like the theme of your meme and will try to link some time.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I've never tried the Old Bay... maybe I will!
    Nice to meet you! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I too love the fresh herbs - you certainly do eat spicy food. I can't do the tabasco sauce, just too much for me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love me a herb garden, although most of mine are in a big pot. How gorgeous to have daffodils in with the herbs....sigh.... My Rosemary is going well, outside the front door where it gets lots of sun in the afternoons. xx

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love that bed you have up there with that cool planter Amy! I am so happy to hear that things are awesome! You have an outstanding weekend my friend! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'd love to be able to buy those U.S. ingredients...
    Kitchen essentials for me include tinned beans (cannellini usually), Maldon sea salt and those artichoke hearts in oil. I love fresh herbs too, particularly sorrel and dill. The latter looks lovely when it grows tall and has sulphur-yellow flowers.
    S x

    ReplyDelete
  41. I do love fresh herbs my favourites are parsley, coriander, mint, chives and rosemary but apart from a shake of salt I don't add anything else to my food because of my stomach problems, how I miss spices and curries. I haven't even heard of those you have Amy but I bet they do enhance the flavour. Hope you are enjoying you weekend and thanks again for hosting and visiting. :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  42. One of my favourite kitchen additions is a Jamie Oliver thyme, lemon, bay salt seasoning, it's great on salmon and chicken.
    You should probably think about digging up the marjoram and thyme in your garden to over-winter somewhere drier and better drained in pots.

    ReplyDelete
  43. The only thing I have in my kitchen to add a little extra something is my husband ... he does all the cooking ;) ... and he just discovered Old Bay as well!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  44. I think after reding your post that I need to experiment more with different herbs and spices, thank you for I spiking me.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Any inspiringly tasty five.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I love fresh herbs! Oregano is one of my favorites and I've just tried it in tea, surprisingly good.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx