Tuesday, 28 April 2015

Abbotsbury Subtropical Garden

On the first day of our holiday we visited Abbotsbury Subtropical Garden.  It is somewhere that I have wanted to go to for many years and finally we made it!

Originally it was the kitchen garden for the castle of the Countess of Ilchester and was established in 1765.  Since then it has been developed into the 30 acre garden that is here today.  It is filled with rare and exotic plants from around the world.  After the great storm in 1990 a lot of restoration had to be undertaken and the opportunity was taken to introduce many new and unusual flowers and plants to the garden.

Now, you might want to grab a cuppa and just sit back and enjoy as there are a lot of photos here!  I have added a few annotations here and there and will sum up at the end!  Please bear with me and remember that I have cut this down from several hundred pictures!!


The gardens are stunning and this is the sight that greets you on your arrival into the garden.  Isn't it wonderful!




Everywhere really does look so tropical, it is just like being in paradise, but without the long flights!






There were soooooo many beautiful flowers everywhere.  I took way too many pictures, so if you think this is a lot....


This beauty cannot be ignored though can it.








Wendy, this mossy log is just for you!  I thought of you as soon as I saw it.  I hope that your mossy log will do well again this year!



You can just see the chapel on the hill between the trees and you can read more about it from the information sign below.




See, I told you I took a lot of flower pictures!!!



There were masses of ferns everywhere as well.  We are building a collection of ferns in our garden so we really enjoyed seeing these.  The tree below is a type of cherry, and the bark is fabulous isn't it.





A new feature at the gardens for this year is the Rope Bridge.  It is quite long and comes up really high either side.  The sides were at my head height as I walked across.


Yes, we made it all the way across!


And we didn't have to turn back!  Just as well really.  At least we weren't crossing shark or crocodile infested waters!  Just the odd waterlilly!!



These ferns are shuttlecock ferns.  Very aptly named aren't they!


There were several of these log benches which had amazing carved animals on them.




Aren't they wonderful!




You can see these maps of the garden all around the place, but we just wandered and were not worried about where we went.  There was an arrowed route to see the very best of the garden at that time as well.  I imagine that changes seasonally.



This pool looked almost prehistoric to me.



With the island of tree ferns and the fallen tree left leaning into the pond and with plants growing on it.




There were a lot of these plants.  They are called Gunnera and grow to an enormous size as you will see in a moment.



Here you can see hubby's arm.  It doesn't even reach all the way across the leaf and this is not full size.  The stems get taller than a person!  Hubby keeps wanting to have one of these plants, and I have to remind him that we don't have an acre or so to plant one!!  One day in his dreams perhaps.






This tree above in the picture below this sign is a Cork Oak that you can read more about below.






This is the gardeners "bothy" or tool shed.



An unusual sight is the Kookaburra's.  I had no idea that these birds were here and we kept hearing them, but could not work out what was making the very unusual noise that is made by a Kookaburra.

These are here as part of a rescue program.


That is it for the walk around the gardens!  I hope that you enjoyed it and got a flavour of what the gardens have to offer.


All in all I would definitely recommend visiting the garden to anyone, whether you have a love of plants or not.  It is just a great day out and I imagine would be great for children and adults alike as there is so much to see and do.  The ice cream is delicious too!!

I expect that later in the year it is even lusher and greener as the trees get more leaves and no doubt there are other great flowers to see as well.

There is also the famous swannery nearby to visit, plus the village of Abbotsbury, so lots to see and do.

So if you are ever in the area or have the chance to visit, I would definitely recommend it!

This is not a sponsored post by the way, we paid full price to get in - which was annoying as when we got home I discovered that there was a half price entry voucher in my gardening magazine.  Grrr!  Only a small irritation though.

If I get the chance to go again with my half price voucher I most certainly will!!

Amy

45 comments:

  1. I visited Abbotsbury a long time ago a wonderful place, I bought a few plants from there nursery as well, some I still have, Thank you for re-kindling the memory :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful place to visit, breathtaking. I have scrolled up and down twice to have another look, those benches are a real delight now that is something I really would like in my garden. Thank you for sharing, hope you have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful place, I'll have to put it on my list of places to visit. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful. How fantastic to visit when the weather was so good. What a shame about your voucher. Would you be able to use it another time? X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning! Thanks for sharing this Amy and I'd certainly like to visit one day. P x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, it's absolutely gorgeous, so very tropical looking. We almost visited a while back, but in the end we didn't make it, so it's been lovely to have a tour with you. Fantastic photos Amy, and a superb post. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful. Thank you for the virtual tour, it was a great. Maybe one day in the future I'll get there for real. Your pictures certainly make me want to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looked a lovely place to visit - I think I might have been years ago! Perfect photos to look at on this blustery, chilly morning. x
    PS - I tried to grow a Gunnera at the bottom of my garden - I thought it would be a great plant to hide a boring area in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing to think this sub-tropical garden has been cultivated in England - it looks just like a garden here in Brisbane! I love the benches, which are so clever and charming, but I feel very sad for the kookaburras. I do hope their cage is extremely large, but I fear that it is not. They are a bird of prey and need a big territory to live in. They occasionally visit us and sit on the railings of our deck. Great post, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous, Amy. I've really enjoyed the tour around the gardens with so much to see and you had wonderful weather to enjoy everything at its best this time of the year. I can understand why you took lots of photos as I would have done the same!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fabulous place to visit. Wonderful photos of all those beautiful plants, I love the carvings but I'm not so sure about that rope bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. do you think you could contact them and ask for a bit of a refund with your coupon? i know around here they always say if you have it they will gladly give you back a bit of the coupons money? just a thought.

    i love all the views. wow wee ... can't pick a fave. i want to take that rope bridge .... wonder how hard it would be? love the blooms. birds and all. what a fun trip. i have only seen kookaburras in pics ...never in person ... i bet they are just amazing!! ( :

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the amazing tour, Amy! What a wonderful garden!
    I of course liked especially the tulips, rhododendrons and azaleas and all the ferns.
    One could spend there more than one day just taking photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was stunning! I'd love to see it in full summer bloom too.
    I fell in love with the benches...I'd love some here,but my chainsaw skills are not up to a straight cut, never mind anything else!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful place to visit. Lovely photographs as always x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Amy
    Wonderful photos - it looks an amazing place. I love the benches too.
    Thank you for sharing your visit.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful place, I'd love to visit though may give the rope bridge a miss xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amy, such lovely photos, and what an interesting place to take pictures. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your photos are stunning. We've visited the swannery, but not this garden, maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a super place to visit in spring! The garden is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! That was quite a tour! So many pictures! The "macro" setting on your camera is amazing! You've captured some interesting details on those flowers and trees. I really like the wood carvings too. Reminds me of my grandpa and his constant wood whittling.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's really gorgeous there. I've seen it on another blog in the past and it's great to see even more of it now. I'm amazed that such tropical plants can grow and thrive there, but then I've never been to the UK so I'm really not even sure what your climate is like. It looks like a wonderful place to spend a day. I would love walking around there. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. stunning pics. i love seeing mature plants and things like that1
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  24. That looks a brilliant place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That garden is just stunning ! If you wouldn't have mentioned where you were, I would have thought you were on some exotical holiday !!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Definitely a tropical feel. Your camera and your eye have served you well. I love the one of the chapel in the tree frame. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a fabulous garden!! Thank you for the mossy stump ;) as soon as I saw the photo, I knew (even before I read the caption!). You're a sweetheart Amy. I love all the textures of the flowers & buds and tree barks in your photos. I'll have to get to work on the log bench carving too ... did I ever mention I do like to carve? I would love to do something on a large scale like that. I just need to find the appropriate log and someone to get it into my backyard. Thanks for the wonderful tour Amy, enjoy your day/evening :D
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  28. It looks fantastic, very tropical and lush. You clearly had beautiful weather and your photos are full of bright sun and blue skies. I don't know much about plants but that doesn't stop me enjoying gardens like this. x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Amazingly beautiful place, Amy!! Thank you for sharing. I am in love with that red bridge! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lovely photos, Amy. I don't think I'd be brave enough to go on the rope bridge. I'd be like Donkey in Shrek - terrified. And Douglas would be like Shrek - "That'll do, Donkey!" :oD

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is somewhere I've always wanted to visit. Fabulous! I wasn't expecting the kookaburras though :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for sharing all your wonderful photos Amy. Abbotsbury looks like a stunning place. I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, what beautiful flower photos, it looks like an amazing place to visit. Thanks for the tour, Amy xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. what a lovely spot!!! (great carvings, too!!!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  35. What an amazing place Amy!! So many beautiful flowers! And all that tropical vegetation amazes me that it is able to thrive there.

    That rope bridge would make me dizzy! Lol And those trunk carvings were amazing. Such fun photos - thanks so much for taking me on the journey! xo

    ReplyDelete
  36. That rope bridge looks like SO much fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh wow - this place is just stunning! I think that seeing it in person would be overwhelming - my camera would be very busy! I love the castle through the trees and that rope bridge. Thanks for sharing this. I could almost feel the sun on my back as we walked the paths. :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Amy, your photography is fantastic!! What a place to visit!, it's unbelievable. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Your photographs are lovely, I particularly liked all,the photo's of magnolia buds and blossoms. My magnolia was in beautiful bloom this year, but we had a late frost a few nights ago and all the blossoms turned brown and fell off. Very sad! X

    ReplyDelete
  40. The garden looks gorgeous, Amy thanks for taking us there. I've been to the Swannery but never visited the gardens - so much to see, You can never take too many photos of flowers:)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh my - what a fabulous walk. I loved the carved animals and the ancient chapel. But the rope bridge - well, no thank you - I'll wait on this side.

    ReplyDelete
  42. HOLY CROW!!!!! This garden is like a magical paradise! I would be in absolute heaven here! You had me at the first shot with all of the blooms!!! And all the whimsy in this garden make it so unique! Like those wooden benches and that red bridge!!! Just so stunning Amy! I really liked the mix of tropical, formal, and natural as well! Thank you for passing this one along....it is beyond inspiring!!!!! Happy Gardening my friend!!!! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  43. The garden is just magnificent and it seems like you picked the perfect time of year to visit when all the flowers are showing all of their glory. Beautiful post my friend,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  44. Now I want to go even more than before, looking at your beautiful set of photos. I know Sarah from Down by the sea has done a few posts on her visits. It is not too far away really-a day out, so I must book it into the diary. Trying to get to Dorchester for a day out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  45. It's a beautiful place Amy I just love flower photos as you know:) It's been a while since I've gone for a walk around some gardens I think this weekend for mother's day might just be the perfect day for a garden walk:):)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx