Saturday, 14 March 2015

Walking to work

On Thursday I had to go to a meeting at work - Basildon Park - and because I was just there for a meeting, not working all day, I had to park in the visitors car park.  It is actually a nice change.  Otherwise I park really close to the house and don't really get to see anything of the entrance to the property, shop, or walk to the house.

Knowing that I would be parking in a different place than normal, I decided to arrive a little early and enjoy the walk up to the house and take some pictures to share with you on the way!

So I hope that you will enjoy my walk to work!


After coming through visitor reception the first thing that you come to is the gardeners sitting room.  Of course the wonderful gardeners now have their own private break room area, but this is open for visitors.  The main attraction is the video of the last owner of the house - Lady Iliffe - talking about how she found and restored the house.


It is also a nice place to stop and gather your thoughts either before starting your visit or at the end of the day before heading off home again.




This is the stable yard area, and the building you can see houses the shop - where I was very good and resisted making any purchases!!


There are flocks of these metal birds all over the place, aren't they fun!  I could imagine a couple of these in my garden, but we already have a lot of garden ornaments.



After nosing around a bit it was time to head off.  This archway marks the path up to the house.  It is a bit steep as you will see in a moment, so there is a buggy that you can ride up to the house in - and back down again - if you need it.  We actually have a posh buggy because it was used at the Olympics!


You can see the main path on the left of the picture above, and to the right are a series of paths for children to climb and wander along.


If you are in need of a stopping place or just want to enjoy the trees, there are several of these benches with carved squirrels and rabbits on the ends of them.  I love these!  Too cute!




I was about half way at this point.  You can see the path sloping gently downwards in the shot above and still a little way to climb up in the shot below.  That sounds wrong, but you know what I mean I hope!




This is just before you leave the cover of the trees at the top of the path.  When you come out from the trees, you can look back down at the drive and see how far you have come.  Normally I just drive straight up here.



When you reach the top you can see the large areas that have been planted with masses of daffodils.  They are not blooming yet - as you can tell! - but when they are in flower I will try and remember to photograph them again.

They make a great spring entrance to the property.


Nearly there now.  I met a colleague at this point, so I stopped taking pictures.  I didn't want them to think that I was odd photographing my walk to work!


I hope that you are able to enjoy the weekend and not be walking to work, but if you are, I hope that at least some of you have a walk that is as nice as mine is.  I am very lucky!

Sorry if I didn't reply to your posts yesterday - especially those of you joining in Five On Friday - and if I don't comment over the next few days or reply to your comments to me.  Yesterday afternoon I did something to my shoulder and it is now incredibly painful and so typing is really difficult right now!  I wrote this post and tomorrows before I did the damage!  It is something that happens to me every now and then and will go in a few days, I just have to leave it be until it is OK again.  All will be OK, but no typing!  So I apologise if I seem to have gone missing or am not replying.  I will catch up when I can with replies and will keep reading your lovely posts as my eyes are fine even if my shoulder isn't!

Amy

43 comments:

  1. Right. That's. It. We need to meet here next time. Lovely post Amy. Get better soon. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful walk to work. And I love the gardener's sitting room. What a wonderful life he must have had, spending the whole of it in that lovely place, although no doubt it was incredibly hard work. Sorry your shoulder is painful, I do hope it is all better very soon. Have a good weekend Amy. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy,
    I loved walking with you to your work. I hope you had as much fun as I had.
    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very pretty walk to work and almost a walk out up the hill!!
    I hope your shoulder is better quickly. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Amy,

    Thank you so much for taking me on your "walk to work". I throughly enjoyed it.

    I hope your shoulder improves, and take care of yourself.

    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amy, I loved the photos from your walk. The Gardeners sitting room is delightful and the courtyard looks like a great place to wander around for a while.
    I hope your shoulder gets better very soon.
    Love visiting your blog.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for taking us on your walk - it's lovely !!
    I especially like the carved benches with the squirrels ;-)))... I wish my hubby was a little bit handier...

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a lovely walk. take care of your shoulder and get well soon xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. An enjoyable walk to work with you, thank you for sharing xcx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delightful walk, I loved the benches with the carved animals, stunning. Hope your shoulder is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely walk to work, Amy. Before I read who was on the telly, I thought it looked like Albert Einstein. Woops! :oD

    I hope your shoulder heals quickly, Amy. I'm off to read your Friday 5 post now which didn't come through to my Bloglovin' feed for some odd reason!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We love Badildon Park :) Your photo of the bench reminded me that when my son was about 5, and saw that bench, he exclaimed "Look Mummy, there's some wood made of bench" love him!!!! Maybe we will do Basildon this weekend :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Amy, this is such a pretty place. I'm lucky to be able to walk to work every day and it is nothing like this, it's all high street and traffic :-(
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely walk to work! In the summer months perhaps you'll do it more often if you're not running late, I know I would (but then again, I'm often running late so perhaps not! Haha!). I have to say the idea of working somewhere like Basildon really appeals to me. Maybe one day I'll work somewhere like that once the littlies are a bit older. X

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was lovely see other parts of the house in this post. I always prefer the outdoors at old houses, I just can't get interested in the interiors no matter how hard I try - I'm all about the grounds!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful place you work, I would love to visit one day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks like just the kind of place that I would like. I love the swans in the garden centre bit.
    Do hope your shoulder gets better quickly, I had a frozen shoulder once that went of for months so I know what its like.
    Hugs
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  18. You do have such a pretty walk to work! Sorry you hurt your shoulder. EW! Hope it heals quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely walk, those daffodils are going to look amazing when they're in flower. Hope your shoulder feels better soon, sounds very painful

    ReplyDelete
  20. A walk to work to be envied, beautiful! Hope your shoulder pain eases soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow what a wonderful place. You are so lucky to be working in such beautiful surroundings. Can you imagine what it was like living there. It must have been amazing. Thanks for the tour. I really enjoyed it.
    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks so much for the tour. I really enjoyed it. Lucky you working there. Just imagine how amazing it was living there!!
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bless your heart with your sore shoulder. Take good care of yourself. I loved this post, you work in a beautiful place.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amy, enjoyed the walk, and like the stable yard.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sorry to hear about your shoulder Amy rest up and hopefully it will soon mend. What a lovely walk thank you for showing us the pictures, you work in a beautiful place both inside and out. take care! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a fabulous walk to work. I love the Gardener's Sitting Room, I think that's a wonderful touch being allowed to glimpse what life was life there. I do love a nice shop at places such as these, I'm sure I'd be parting with lots of hard earned dosh there, I've already seen some things which take my fancy. Hope your shoulder heals quickly and that it isn't too painful.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's funny how approaching a familiar thing from a different direction can completely alter your perspective and allow you to see something new in it. It must be lovely to see the place without all the visitors too! Best wishes for a speedy shoulder recovery xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Working in such a lovely place must make it not feel like work at all! Hope your shoulder gets better quickly xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh no!! Amy poor you, I hope it gets better soon x What a beautiful place to work, we love the National Trust and spend many hours wandering around local castles! In fact we went to Cornwall once for a holiday just because I wanted to see Cotehele. Hilltop in Cumbria is my favourite so far and that is where my little one's love for Beatrix Potter comes from. Get well soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. absolutely lovely pics AMy!!Hope you feel better soon! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a lovely way to start your day. Love those carved squirrel seats.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for taking us along your walk to work. Sorry to hear your shoulder is painful, hope it is much better soon x

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hope the shoulder rights itself soon and you bounce back into things. Thanks for the lovely walk and am looking forward to seeing those daffs in bloom. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Amy, I do hope your shoulder improves quickly, it must be so frustrating. Thanks for taking us on your walk to work, it is lovely to see a different perspective to the usual trip to the 'office'. You are so lucky to work in such a beautiful place. You take care of yourself xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lucky you to work in such a beautiful place. It's always fun to see where people spend some of their time, so thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for sharing your walk! Such a beautiful place, & such charm around each corner.

    I hope your shoulder feels better soon Sweetie. Make sure you take it easy!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  37. What lovely pictures! I wouldn't want to incur the wrath of the gardener's wife! I really hope your shoulder feels better soon, it must be very annoying, but I hope you're not in too much pain xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. My absolute sympathy re. your shoulder Amy. Similar things happen to me so I know how horrible they are. I do hope you feel better soon x

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a great walk to work. I love seeing more of Basildon House. Thanks for your concern with my blog difficulties, all fixed now. I called a teckie friend. Hope your shoulder mends soon. No need to reply to this comment as you must be in so much pain, I know you read your comments. Katharine x

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm sure everyone is as envious as me about your lovely walk to work - definitely beats my daily motorway commute. Hope you're feeing better soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  41. WOW,thanks for sharing your fabulous pics.xx

    ReplyDelete
  42. I really enjoyed your walk to work, Amy - such lovely things to see - I loved the squirrel and rabbit bench. I do hope your shoulder will feel easier soon. Take care, xx

    ReplyDelete
  43. That is a really lovely walk to your work and when the daffodils are in bloom it will be even prettier. I'm sorry about your shoulder and hope it heals quickly for you. Take care. xx Pam

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx