This is an extract of a post from October 2013 - the rest is just waffle! - and is about some cushions that I made. They were the first thing that I made in applique. They are still in our sofa and are used all the time. I am pleased that they still look as good as they did when I made them.
Since I wrote this post originally I have made another cushion in this fabric and have also managed to get some more so someday you might see some other things being made using this fabric!
This is the last in the posts that I have done this week looking back at some of my early blogs and some things that newer readers might not have had the chance to read.
Tomorrow normal service will return with Five On Friday. Anyone is welcome to join in. If you don't know how to do the linky thing, just e-mail me - address in the About Love Made My Home page - and let me know you have done a post and give me the link and I can link you up. Then others can come and visit.
On with the post!
A few weeks ago hubby and I rescued this fabric from hubby's family home. It is genuine from the 1950's, and indeed, the rest of it is still hanging as a pair of curtains. Not in a vintage style way, but because those were the curtains that were made for the space way back when and there they still hang.
The fabric is a very coarse weave, so I don't know what it was made for originally, I assume that it was for curtains, but I'm not sure. It made it hard to work with though, because as soon as you cut it, it starts to unravel.
There wasn't really enough to do much with, but I thought that some cushions for the lounge might be an idea. Now, I am not really great at sewing, I can do straight lines and basics, but definitely not zips!
I love my sewing machine though, it is older than me, and used to be my Mum's. When I was little it did all sorts of fancy stitches, but now it only does straight stitch. Oh well, that is all I need really.
So... rather than make some from scratch cushions to begin with, I decided to some some applique. I found these two felt cushions and set to.
Taking inspiration from the little birds on the fabric, here is the first one!
I haven't done the more usual way of doing applique these days of using bondaweb, instead, I did it the old fashioned way of stitching round the shape, turning the edges under as I went, and then adding the decorative stitching afterwards.
Add some little button eyes, and voila, a couple of old birds....
For the other cushion I decided to go with one big bird.
I have some grey fabric leftover from my little curtain addition, so I might do another cushion with the vintage fabric on the front and the grey on the back. I need to get a cushion first though!
Don't they look at home on the sofa!