Thursday, 19 March 2015

Vintage Style Cushions

This is an extract of a post from October 2013 - the rest is just waffle! - and is about some cushions that I made.  They were the first thing that I made in applique.  They are still in our sofa and are used all the time.  I am pleased that they still look as good as they did when I made them.

Since I wrote this post originally I have made another cushion in this fabric and have also managed to get some more so someday you might see some other things being made using this fabric!

This is the last in the posts that I have done this week looking back at some of my early blogs and some things that newer readers might not have had the chance to read.

Tomorrow normal service will return with Five On Friday.  Anyone is welcome to join in.  If you don't know how to do the linky thing, just e-mail me - address in the About Love Made My Home page - and let me know you have done a post and give me the link and I can link you up.  Then others can come and visit. 

On with the post!

A few weeks ago hubby and I rescued this fabric from hubby's family home.  It is genuine from the 1950's, and indeed, the rest of it is still hanging as a pair of curtains.  Not in a vintage style way, but because those were the curtains that were made for the space way back when and there they still hang.


The fabric is a very coarse weave, so I don't know what it was made for originally, I assume that it was for curtains, but I'm not sure.  It made it hard to work with though, because as soon as you cut it, it starts to unravel.


There wasn't really enough to do much with, but I thought that some cushions for the lounge might be an idea.  Now, I am not really great at sewing, I can do straight lines and basics, but definitely not zips!


I love my sewing machine though, it is older than me, and used to be my Mum's.  When I was little it did all sorts of fancy stitches, but now it only does straight stitch.  Oh well, that is all I need really.


So... rather than make some from scratch cushions to begin with, I decided to some some applique.  I found these two felt cushions and set to.


Taking inspiration from the little birds on the fabric, here is the first one!


I haven't done the more usual way of doing applique these days of using bondaweb, instead, I did it the old fashioned way of stitching round the shape, turning the edges under as I went, and then adding the decorative stitching afterwards.


Add some little button eyes, and voila, a couple of old birds....


For the other cushion I decided to go with one big bird.




I have some grey fabric leftover from my little curtain addition, so I might do another cushion with the vintage fabric on the front and the grey on the back.  I need to get a cushion first though!




Don't they look at home on the sofa!

 
Amy

21 comments:

  1. Those are pretty !!
    Your flashback-blogs are nice, I haven't seen this post yet in my "reading back efforts" !

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are lovely its great that you used the shape of the little birds in the fabric :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute, I especially like the lime greeny one:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I read this at the time but was too shy to comment! I think they are lovely and also I love that they are from the fabric used for curtains in your husband's home, that connection is really quite touching. I also remember seeing similar ones in the shops afterwards and thinking you were a trend setter! Have a lovely day Amy X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the vintage fabric and those birds are a real delight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look great, Amy. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to use the fabric! The birds are very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely. It's great how plain cushions can be easily prettied up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the applique. I have never tried that, but will put it on my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such sweet cushions and glad to hear they are still in use. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Amy! Oh, your little pillows with the bird appliques turned out so sweet. Now the fabric does look like drapery material. I had something similar in my room when I was a little girl. You did a great job and the little birds are so sweet! Thank you for popping in to see me and your kind comments.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very unusual and very springy, Amy. I have a machine that pretty much just sews back and forth, but it does have attachments I can use in a pinch. But I sew very little any more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are so cute!

    I hope your shoulder is better.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these! What a great way to use that vintage fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute fabric and cushions. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your bird appliques are lovely, Amy, and quite a triumph given the type of fabric. It does look like a coarse curtain material, very difficult to work with, but it came out brilliantly! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think cushions help to make a house a home, and your cushions look good.

    Do hope your shoulder has been feeling better.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember this one!! I loved that fabric my friend and those cushions are wonderful!! Happy Friday you!! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great recycling!!!!!! I love both the fabric and the cute birdies. I'd love to teach you how to get more out of your machine. Looking forward to your five on Friday. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How pretty they both are! And work so well on the sofa.
    Hope you're having a great weekend.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx