Monday, 2 March 2015

The Ashmolean - another visit!

I wrote recently about our visit to the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford.  You can find the first part here.  Today, I have the rest of the things that we saw to show you!
 

There was a lot of china on display - many cabinets filled like this.  While it isn't necessarily to my taste, I do admire the work that was put into it.  This sort of hand painted work just isn't produced like this any more.




 
One of the things that I did really like though was this wonderful plate showing these squirrels.  It is in lustre ware which shimmers beautifully in the light.


These delft tiles are beautiful.  Many years ago I had a fireplace that was surrounded by tiles that were similar to these.  I wish that I had taken more time to appreciate them!



One of my favourite things is the work of William De Morgan.  He was a designer and potter among other things, and lived and worked in the 1800's and early 1900's.  De Morgan was the most important Arts and Crafts potter, and produced a lot of tile works.  You can often recognise the incredible blue and green colours that he used.


There were also some other things that were not the sort of thing that we would have in our homes nowadays.  The centrepiece above would not be on display in many homes now, far to intricate for most tastes. 

The slipware platter below dates from 1670, it is made by sort of piping the designs on with coloured slip - which is very liquid clay.  It was made in Staffordshire by Thomas Toft.



Although I wasn't sure what to expect in the Ashmolean, I knew that it had a good collection of silver, so we went to have a look!  There were so many incredible pieces.  Mostly very large items and with a lot of detail on each piece.



Some were much plainer though, as the tankards and chalices above show.  Sorry it isn't a very good picture, they were very high up!


There were also lots of smaller pieces though too.  Such as this wonderful cameo carved shell that had been mounted in silver to make a box.


There was also an incredible collection of pocket watches.  All sorts of sizes, shapes and designs.  The ones above were really big, several inches across.  I guess that they were either for presentation or as use as clocks.




These flasks are French, and date from 1420 - 1440. 

These two vessels below really show amazing work don't they.  It is hard to believe that they are metal.  They date from about 1660 and come from London.



One of the tiniest items was this little set of breakfast items.  Each piece was about an inch high!


All of the pieces below are part of the Treby Toilet Service and date from 1724 and were made by Paul De Lamerie a very famous silversmith.  Originally they were made for Charity Treby and show the Treby coat of arms.  When new they cost £377.00 13 shillings and 10 pence.  Don't you love how that is so precise!


The word "Toilet" in the 18th Century referred to accessories for dressing and makeup and is derived from the French word Toile which was a cloth that would have covered the dressing table and mirror.



Corpus Christi College, founded in 1517 by Bishop Richard Fox has preserved a remarkable group of late medieval and renaissance gold and silver pieces.  Below is Bishop Fox's Crozier it was made in London in about 1501 and is made of silver gilt and enamel.  The Crozier is the symbol of a Bishop which is still used today - although they tend to be a lot less ornate!



Finally a couple of statues that I photographed when we first arrived.  Hubby liked these two as he thought that they probably both had rather bad headaches!  I will say no more than that!


I would definitely recommend a visit to The Ashmolean and if I was in Oxford I would return again, so if you are ever there, it is well worth stopping by!

Amy

37 comments:

  1. It's one I visit on occasion but Reading is worth a look at as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.. That was wonderful.. I so love china and that was beautiful.. Thanks for taking me along.. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks really interesting Amy. I might try and stop by next time I visit my sister, if time allows. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. now this is a museum i would love to see in person. awesome amazing!! not sure if you have read the All Souls Trilogy but it speaks about this museum ... that would be so awesome to see in real life. very very cool. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's some beautiful pieces on display, I especially like all the china, such a lot of it too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the William de Morgan Tiles and the slipware plate. The gold flask are lovely too. I love to see the china but sometimes I feel that too many pieces are crammed into the cabinets to be able to pick out any of them to study in detail - I guess the saying 'can't see the wood for the trees' springs to mind. I've enjoyed your second visit to the Ashmolean very much:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amy! Oh, thank you for the history lesson on so many of these beautiful pieces. I do believe we could all pick out about a dozen little pretties to take home. But then we'd all end up in jail! :) Do you watch Downton Abbey. Last night was our last episode until next January. I know it airs earlier for you. Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy that is quite a museum. I love the beauty of china. But nowadays the young people and even I don't get out the china to serve a meal very often. The silver is lovely. I do own a watch that was my great-grandmother's and it still works. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Incredible collection they have !!
    (I really wouldn't want to polish the silver at the Ashmolean... ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much, Amy, for sharing your beautiful photos of these incredible collections!
    I surely hope to visit this and many, many other fascinating places in the UK. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are such interesting collections. I particularly enjoyed seeing the china and the tiles; I've always had a thing for intricately-decorated pottery. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such interesting artifacts and such history!! Loved those tiles - so pretty. Happy week ahead!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh another museum post. Brilliant! I'm with you on the squirrels. They look fabulous. Plus I love your photos of the pocket watches, from close up to further away. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely collection Amy I love that centerpiece. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such beautiful glass and things! I had fun looking through it all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an interesting museum and so much wonderful things!
    Most I like the plate with the squirrels... and: I'm a big fan of the Preraffaelites (have visit your first post)
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful treasure trove! My favourite has to be the delft tiles. One day when I am in my dream house, my kitchen will have these!! Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a brilliant museum filled with wonderful pieces. You are so right about the delft tiles they are beautiul.
    Thank you Amy, for the information about the limpit teeth, I've googled and it is so interesting.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a nice tour you gave us!!!! thanks!! (I really did like that lustreware squirrel plate, too!!!!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the pocket watches and all that china, just fab.
    Rosezeeta.

    ReplyDelete
  21. such wonderful objects, I love the squirrel plate :) I hope to visit one day myself, thanks for sharing the pics :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, it's absolutely stuffed with treasures isn't it. It's always lovely to see big collections of things all together. I like to look for my favourite. The silver is wonderful, quite breathtaking. Glad you had such an enjoyable time there. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. One of my favourite places- you've reminded me I need to go back xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fascinating stuff, Amy. Thanks for sharing! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  25. My favorites are the pocket watches and china!! My my is that china amazing! So very beautiful! If I lived near this would be on my must see places!! Happy week AMY!!! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have always wanted to go to The Ashmolean and now I want to even more. The pocket watches are lovely and the little squirrels on the plate - so cute! Oxford is such a great city too, yes I definitely need to go back x

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am sure I would love this museum, Amy. So many wonderful pieces. The Bishop's crozier is amazing! Thank you for showing us around. xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! What amazing collections. It's overwhelming to see it here, and I can't imagine seeing all those pieces in person. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sorry I haven't visited lately but we've been away visiting our daughter and family. I enjoyed seeing these beautiful dishes etc. I love looking at them and it's sad that they are in museums now and not used in homes anymore. They are a bit ostentatious though for our lifestyle today. Thanks for the tour. Have a lovely week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  30. My mother-in-law would love to visit this place! I personally like the delft tiles - we have some plates on the wall; the bright blue on pale yellow walls makes a striking statement.

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's funny how tastes and fashions change over the centuries isn't it - everything so over-decorated and ornate - beautiful to look at though - imagine having to clean all that silver!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Some amazing stuff here Amy. Love the platter from 1620. Also the cameo carved shell.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Going to Oxford on our trip to the UK next week. I think we will check out this museum just to see those Delft tiles! Gorgeous! And that china - even my daughter will be awed by it!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love those Delft tiles - they leapt out of your post at me! It looks like an amazing place. You can't help but wonder at the work they put into things in former centuries. We're so 'mass produced' these days, it's hard to find truly unique pieces. X

    ReplyDelete
  35. I remember those glass cases full of China and I also took a photo of that beautiful piece of artwork by W. Dr Morgan. It looks amazing! Your post has brought back happy memories of our visit here. Thank you! X

    ReplyDelete
  36. Looks like a fantastic place to visit. Beautiful displays.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What amazing treasures! It truly is a wonderful place.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx