Sunday, 15 March 2015

Sunlit Sunday

I posted earlier in the year about my Jar of Thanksgiving and how I was going to try and take more notice of the things that I was thankful for.


While I cannot say that I have been perfect about recording or noticing things, I have done a lot better than I did last year, so that is, in itself, something to be thankful for isn't it.

Earlier in the week our Church Magazine popped through the letterbox and I read this wonderful article written by someone called Lucy, which was all about gratitude.  I thought that you might like to read her words.

I don't want to say the name of the Magazine, as that will reveal my exact home address, but please note that these are not my words, and if anyone wants the exact attribution I will be glad to share this by e-mail.
 
Exercising Gratitude
 
Like many of us, I have emerged from winter battered and exhausted, unable to raise the emotional thermostat from the low settings it had precipitated.
 
Like many of us, I have started to go back to exercising the "almost inevitable" pause of the Christmas period.  Except that this time I have added a simple routine which does not involve getting sweaty or breathless, but it does have a similar beneficial effect on my wellbeing and, if you agree with the butterfly effect, on the world's wellbeing too.
 
Once a day I find a quiet spot, I get comfortable and I bring to my mind ten things which I am grateful for, counting them on my fingers.  Professor Mark Williams, a clinical psychologist at the University of Oxford, states that it is important to get to ten things, even when it becomes increasingly harder after three our four!  This is what the exercise is for - intentionally bringing into awareness the tiny, previous unnoticed elements of the day.
 
Modern neuroscience has proved what ancient spiritual wisdom had recommended for centuries  and followers of Jesus are invited to do: saying thanks works.

So I will keep on being grateful for these small things in life.  Perhaps not 10 every day, although that is a great aspiration, but by noticing the small things, they add up to great things don't they.

I am joining Karen for Sunlit Sunday.

I wish you all a great weekend with lots of things to be grateful for.  I am grateful for you all stopping by here and being such wonderful people!

Amy

29 comments:

  1. That was definitely food for thought and is making me sit a minute to think and savour 10 things that I am grateful for. A lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post ... I'm grateful for you and your interesting blog .... Thanks for sharing your universe !! Have a nice sunday ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post - this is something I definitely need to start doing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely piece of writing, I'm sitting here thinking of ten things as well. Have a good Sunday Amy. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was very interesting!
    Can one count the same things several times? I mean there are things we can be grateful for every day, like our family or the beauty of the flowers. And then there would be the special things of each day, like the sunshine or the helpful and friendly people we've met... I try to remember to be grateful for small (?) things too, like not spilling coffee on my laptop when passing by clumsily and in a hurry.
    Thank you for the interesting post! Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's the little things which we often overlook so I think this is a great exercise. We should always count our blessings as we're so very fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. a lovely and wise reminder of gratitude Amy, thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gratitude in any form is a very powerful thing. The more things that we are grateful for, the more we have to be grateful for. Ten things is hard at first, but try three and you'll find that easy. Try five and you'll be surprised how quickly you find them. Only another five and you're done. You can be grateful for anything and everything - it's a good habit to get into. Thanks for sharing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good stuff Amy! Especially after watching Comic Relief which helps us realise how fortunate we really are! I like the fact you have to get to 10 things, that's a good exercise! X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful post today my friend,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the idea of 10. I always think of things to be grateful for at the end of the day but never 10. I may just try this. All for positive thinking. It's good for the mind and body. Thanks for sharing Amy. I'm off to write my sunlit post now from the south coast ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think as daily life gets harder, as it does with the way our society is going, it is more important to stop and appreciate the things that DO go right. I'll be joining you on the "attitude of gratitude" path.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lovely post Amy. We really do need to give thanks every day for what we have, even down to the smallest detail. I believe our God is very good too us even in the times when things don't seem good or we or someone we love is ill, etc. We just have to look for them and be thankful and grateful. Have a blessed week my friend. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely post Amy, it is so important to look at the positives and not the negatives.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks amy. I like the idea of looking for 10 things - that would involve proper thinking and reflection. I always try and start the day by thinking of something to be grateful for too. Hope you've had a good weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this Amy - and it's a wonderful reminder of being grateful for the gifts we're given. A beautiful Sunday sentiment and I feel blessed you shared it.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Food for thought as always Amy. I think I'd find 10 really hard - partly because I can barely remember what happened 10 minutes ago let alone all day! I'm going to give it a go though. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so true -we must look for the beauty of the simple blessings in life. I do try to do this now but I do wish I had done it when much younger, never too late though! Inspiring thoughts thank you so much Amy xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yep....simple yet profoundly powerful!! Her words rang so true with me and I think it is time for me to practice this as well! Thank you for passing on the inspiration before the start of a really busy week for us here! Wishing you a beautiful Sunday Amy!!! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah a lovely post especially if you are still not feeling great. Such a good thing to look for the positives, that's why I did the Happy Days link on Saturday because it made me look for things. Hope you are starting to feel better x

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a really good idea, it also gets the little grey cells working hard too. Hope you are improving a little xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely words and post..
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gratitude is powerful. A couple of years ago I kept a journal of gratitude. It helped me focus on the positive things in my life at a time when there were many negatives. There is always, always something to be grateful for. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Right on Amy! I start every day counting my blessings and I tell My kids to do the same. Sure keeps everything in perspective. It I so important, most people focus on what they don't have and not on what they have been blessed with.


    Perspective

    ReplyDelete
  25. It is important to remember and appreciate the small things in life .... they all add up to the larger picture, our life.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very interesting! I will now count out ten things as well. It's so good to focus on our blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  27. thank you for writing about this, it´s important. and I feel it´s even more important when it´s difficult to find all those blessings in our lifes. I wonder why just 10? take care Jaana

    ReplyDelete
  28. You've inspired me with your 'Gratitude' post today Amy.
    I would love to receive the complete article from your Church magazine by email please!
    I have an empty mason jar just waiting to receive 'little notes of gratitude'!
    A thoughtful post today Amy.
    Hugs
    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  29. Here's one thing I'm grateful for right now, the way the sun shining through my living room window and highlighting the various greens of houseplant leaves. It may not sound like much, but it's lovely to me.

    Enjoy your weekend!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx