Tuesday, 10 March 2015

Spring Daffodil Wreath - and tutorial

After revealing my Daffodil Garland for my March Mantel yesterday, today I have my Spring Daffodil Wreath to share!  It is turning out to be crochet week around here.

Ta Dah!  Spring Daffodil Wreath!!


I am so pleased with the way that this turned out.  Although we are not supposed to blow our own trumpets - daffodil or otherwise - if you don't blow your own trumpet no one else will and I really am so delighted with this!  Spring just seems to come alive when I look at this wreath, I don't think that I could wish for anything happier or cheerier.


Just look at the pretty flowers!  Although I of course love the daffodils, the little blossoms really make it for me.  In fact I have gone a bit overboard with blossoms and have a whole bunch ready for a project in April!  They are rather addictive.


Can you tell that I love them.


No?  What about now???


This wreath was my inspiration, and I do like it, but I like mine more!


When I showed you this in the process of being made recently I promised a tutorial.  So here it is.  I have seen - as no doubt you have too - lots of crocheted wreaths, but I could not find a tutorial that showed how to make the cover for the wreath form that I wanted to make and use.  I thought that it might be useful for you to see what I did and then you will know how it all comes together.


First of all the blossoms.  These were made quite easily.  The little pearl in the centre is a pearl headed pin and is used to affix them to the wreath.


They are made using this pattern.  Chain four, slip stitch into first chain, chain two, TR into ring twice, chain two, slip stitch into ring.  Repeat four more times so that you have five petals.  Tie off and sew in ends.  Use one end to sew the ring shut tightly.



Daffodils are of course a requirement for a Spring Daffodil Wreath.  As with my Daffodil Garland, I made a variety of colours and combinations.


To affix the daffodils to the wreath I used little glass headed pins in coordinating colours to go just in the very centre.  They do show up, but that is OK as I think it adds to the detail.


I used a yellow one and a white one.



Now, on to the wreath itself.  I wanted to make a cover for the polystyrene wreath base that could be used for many things.  Not having the space or inclination to have lots of wreaths around the place I thought that by making a fairly universal cover I could then just add or take away things and leave the cover in place.  My idea was to have the grass and the sky - with white clouds.  So I went with different greens at the bottom and of course blues and white at the top.


To make the cover you need to crochet a long strip of crochet. I worked in DC and simply went back and forth.  To calculate how wide the piece needed to be I did a chain and then measured it against the wreath to see if it went all the way round and then worked a few rows.  If it just fits round you have it just the right size.  The size you need will of course depend on the size of your wreath base.  Keep working and measuring until you have a piece that is long enough to fit all the way around.  You can see above where I was testing to see how much further I had to go.


Once you have your finished piece, join the two ends together so that you have a ring.  It looks a bit like a cowl doesn't it!



Then you need to fit this around your wreath.  At first I tried pinning it and doing all sorts of things.  Turns out that the easiest thing to do is to stretch it around the outside and then just poke it through the middle.  It stays in place well and allows you to work without having pins sticking in and out all over the place.



You then move on to the joining it all together.  Match the stripes up and use a really long length of yarn to sew it up.  I have used pink here so that you can see it, but you can of course coordinate so that the seam is less obvious.  The stitches are not the neatest, but who will be looking at the back...


Keep sewing round, matching the stripes and stretching it around as you work.  It might be a bit scary and seem as though it is not going to work, but trust me, it will!  This is very forgiving.



After you have gone a little way turn your wreath over and you will see how it is looking.  Nice and smooth and even is what you are after.  Keep going and before you know it you will be half way round.


You can see how it comes together.  Once you are done this is what the back should look like.


Turn it over and voila, one covered wreath form!



Then to move on to adding the flowers.  The pins that I had in the middle of the flowers were used to place the flowers initially.  I started with the daffodils as they were the biggest element of this wreath.


To make sure that the flower are nice and secure you need to add more pins.  So I used normal dressmaking pins.  You can just see in the picture above where I am holding down a petal of a daffodil with a pin.


Once the pin is pushed in and the petal eased around a little the pin disappears, but the flower is held securely in place.


Of course if you are making a permanent display you could sew the flowers on, but I think that this is quite tricky to do and does not allow you to make seasonal changes.


Once you have the flowers in place add the blossoms.  I only used the pearl headed pins for these as they are quite small.  Remember the rules of gardening, use odd numbers and place small groups for best effect.  You don't want it to be too "spotty".



You are then done and just need to hang your wreath.  I wanted to hang this on the front door - although hubby says it is too good for that.  It was made to go on the door though!  I have a small screw screwed into the top of the door that I can use to hang things from.  When there is nothing on the door you don't see it, but it is there ready to use when I want it.

I took a length of ribbon, folded it in half and pinned the unfolded end to the wreath.  Then wrap the ribbon around and pin again on the back.  Use lots of pins, you don't want it to fall down!  You might want to sew this on if you are worried.



The wreath is then all done and ready for hanging on the door!!


One last thing.  This was again made using stash yarn, which for me means leftovers from my ripple blanket and Nordic Shawl.  The only thing that I purchased was the wreath base which was a couple of pounds and will I hope last quite a while.  As I explained yesterday, I bought one ball of yarn for the yellow daffodils in various projects, so I am apportioning another 50 pence to this project.  All in, I think this has cost about £2.50.  Not to shabby

Ta Dah!!!  One Spring Daffodil Wreath hanging on the door!  I hope that everyone who comes to the house or walks by will enjoy it and feel happy!


I hope that you enjoy your own wreath making!

Amy

64 comments:

  1. Your wreath is absolutely beautiful. It sings Spring to me!
    You made me smile when talking about putting the wreath cover onto the polystyrene, I also had a panic moment thinking it would be all lumpy and not enough cover around the outside, too much on the inside, but you are absolutely right to say it is very forgiving.
    Love it x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEAUTIFUL spring wreath, Amy!! And, great tutorial. Thank you so much for sharing! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would certainly make me happy to see your delightful spring wreath Amy.
    You did a wonderful job with this....it's a joy.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty Amy - I think that you could go into business with this idea - I can imagine different wreaths throughout the year and especially at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is absolutely wonderful! I love it, Amy. What a fantastic job you've done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how you've created so many varieties of daffodils! Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's fabulous, so pretty. I love all the daffodils. The perfect spring wreath.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your beautiful wreath with us Amy. If I'm honest I still prefer yours to the original.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your wreath is so pretty! And so kind of you to stare how you made it too.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is delightful! I even tried to pin it to my wreath folder at Pinterest. It didn't work...wah! You are really clever and thoughtful about your work...blue sky and clouds above and grass below...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely beautiful! The daffodils are fab!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Amy,

    I so love your wreath, I love the sky and grass you added, it's so pretty and it's a joy to make.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pretty Amy, thank you for sharing. Have a great week. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amy, I'm so jealous of your talent with making things on your own. This wreath is really a treasure, and the daffodils make make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How adorable! I only know how to do one crochet stitch. I need to take a lesson on how to crochet those small flowers and daffodils but I think I'd become obsessed! So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very pretty! You must have a lot of patience to make so many small flowers X

    ReplyDelete
  17. How lovely! You HAVE been crocheting, Amy! I hope it cheers you every time you gaze upon it! It would ME!
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. those daffodils are adorable-love them

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just beautiful. I like crocheting such wreaths too, that's a very stimulus for imagination. Have a lovely day !

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think it is absolutely ok to blow your own trumpet. Lovely wreath Amy, well done. Did you check in on Attic24 recently? There is a winter wreath to admire just now. I am not going to make one any time soon I don't think. I am not patient enough to make the decorations. x

    ReplyDelete
  21. OH my goodness!!! This is beautiful Amy!!!!! I had read your mantle post yesterday but was interrupted mid commenting by needy beans! Your garland and this wreath are stunning! Seriously love them both as they are so bright and so pretty!!! I didn't think you could top that bunting but this wreath may just have tipped the scale! I like it better than the inspiration one for sure!!! Happy day friend! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. You did a very nice job on your wreath! Such a great way to use all those daffodils you've been making. It looks great on your front door.
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well it made me smile, what a gorgeous wreath and a great tutorial. Love the daffodils.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's really, really pretty. I love the way you kept some of the wreath free of flowers. And surely having a blog is so that we all have somewhere to blow our own trumpets once in a while? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a pretty wreath, Amy! Those daffs do look like they'd be fun to make. Your door looks so pretty with that spring-like wreath on it. It's almost here! Great little tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amy - it's beautiful. So Spring-like and I am sure will bring a smile to all who see your front door. x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your pretty wreath brings a happy smile to my face, Amy! It is the essence of spring.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi your wreath is absolutely Stunning,what a lot of work.I must put it on my to do list.Thank you so much for the truly perfect Tutorial,so easy to understand,lovely of you to share.You should blow your trumpet,you are very talented.Just hope as it is on the front door,that it doesn't go walkies as it is so pretty.xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, well done you for creating such a lovely front door wreath. With your mantel garland, Spring has certainly sprung at your house!

    ReplyDelete
  30. It just trumpets SPRING! Amy! So pretty and thanks for a wonderful tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's lovely, very evocative of Spring and so pretty. Much better than the inspiration photo ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. It is so pretty, your garland !!
    And PS - I prefer yours over the one you used as inspiration...
    Good tip about the fixing of the flowers - I always stitch the "stuff" to the garland (which can be a quite fidgety job), using pins is way faster !!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hello, Amy! Your spring daffodil wreath is perfect! The daffodils are - of course - lovely, and so are the tiny little flowers and the different shades of blue and green. You are ever so skillful!

    ReplyDelete
  34. That is really gorgeous. I even love the ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  35. It came out very pretty. The colors are very springlike and it looks great on your door.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful wreath, I love making wreaths, I'd love to have a go at those daffodils xx

    ReplyDelete
  37. It's lovely, Amy. I prefer your idea of pinning the flowers etc on rather than sewing them on. Much easier to change it out that way. Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Amy I just love your wreath. And really aren't you brilliant affixing the flowers with pins I sewed mine on my the wreath I made a few years ago, now I can't move them. I have daffodils on mine, too.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  39. It's beautiful Amy, perfect for spring, and very cleverly made. Well done you. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  40. Very pretty and full of happy springness!
    Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  41. So pretty! Thanks for the tutorial, a wreath is on my list and I will certainly be referring to it!! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  42. Such a clever use to pin them on and keep the wreath with green grass and blue sky. Genius.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh my, how clever you are. I love it. I've just done a quick catchup and also love your March Mantel. I'm coming for classes (giggle). I don't even know where to start to make a crocheted flower. Once we are more setttled I'll give it a try. Saw your gorgeous Basildon Park on TV last night, I think whilst watching Bargain Hunt.
    It's certainly on a grand scale and I told hubby that you volunteer there. He was impressed. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Definitely 'blow your own trumpet' that wreath looks great and a wonderful welcome for visitors to your home.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  45. Look at you go with all your beautiful decorations !! That is the prettiest spring wreath I have ever seen!!! It's so lovely and bright and cheerful. how could you not be happy coming to a house with such a pretty wreath ? Great tutorial, that must take ages to do, thanks so much! Happy Spring Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hello Amy, lovely work! Thank you for sharing it!

    Cheers, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  47. Oh my goodness Amy - blow that horn loud and clear!! This is an absolute work of art. I love EVERYTHING about it so much!! From it's beautiful sky and grass base, to it's bright beautiful daffs, to the adorable embellishment flowers. It just sings of Spring in such beautiful colors and such whimsy. Love love love!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  48. That turned out WONDERFULLY! BRAVO, you! You really did well making your daffodils so lifelike in color and shape. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  49. So pretty! A brilliant idea to interchange . I love the pearl pin heads, they look so effective x

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hello Amy, you keep blowing your own trumpet, your wreath is stunning and so beautiful.
    Love the soft gentle colours and amazing daffodils. Thank you for the tutorial.

    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  51. Gorgeous! I like the fact that you haven't overdone it - it's simple, elegant and pretty but not overcrowded! I imagine you will cheer up a lot of folks walking past with it! X

    ReplyDelete
  52. Oh Amy, this wreath is so cheery and pretty, and very eye catching! I bet lots of people who pass by will stop for a second glance...and be inspired to try to create one themselves! Loved your great tutorial! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  53. Wow Amy I love the crocheted daffodil wreath you made! I wish you could make me one! LOL! Thanks for sharing the tutorial on how to make one. You are so creative and talented. Hope you have a wonderful day.
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  54. It's beautiful. You're right - nicer than the Simply Crochet one.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Your spring wreath is beautiful, Amy! It is so spring like with those cheery daffodils. And so clever to make a background that you can use throughout the year. I'm sure you've got the best looking doorway in your street with this wreath on your front door! Thanks for the tutorial--it's very clear and easy to follow. X

    ReplyDelete
  56. Hi Amy, I like your mantel(previous post) and I like your spring wreath, its bright and happy! Honestly I like yours better than the one you got the idea from! Bet it looks very pretty on your front door! :)

    ReplyDelete
  57. Amy it looks wonderful ......
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  58. So very pretty, Amy!! You made a lovely spring time decoration....I love the fresh colours and the cheerful flowers!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  59. Totally Totally gorgeous Amy!!! I'll echo all that is said here and more! It gives me a lovely bright feeling and a yearning to see spring at home!!

    Keep well

    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  60. I think you've got most varieties covered there! ;-) It looks great, and you'll be able to enjoy daffodils all year round now! xx

    ReplyDelete
  61. It's amazing Amy I love it! I have always wanted to make a wreath but have never seemed to get around to it. It would be lovely to have one for each Season. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  62. Amy it's wonderful soooo beautiful, I love the way you cover the wreath, so pretty. Congrats it's a stunner.
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx