Wednesday, 25 March 2015

Reading my books - Good Husband Material

The latest book that I have finished reading is Good Husband Material by Trisha Ashley.


Tish is not married to her first love, Fergal, he broke her heart and left her.  Instead, Tish is married to James.  A solicitor.  Her mother loves him, but he isn't Fergal who Tish's mother totally disapproved of.

After moving to the country, Tish, a writer, realises that perhaps life is not so good being married to James.  When Fergal arrives back in Tish's life unexpectedly things start to change.  As Tish works through the problems, she finds that more challenges arrive on an almost daily basis.

There are some very odd people living in the village and Tish makes friends with them as her relationship with James gets worse.  Eventually all is well!

Although I am not finding writing reviews any easier, I  did enjoy reading this book.  It took me far too long to read though, so I need to get better at getting on with reading.  That was my failing, not the books! 

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone.  There is nothing nasty, just a good light-hearted read.  This is not a comedy, but it is a humorous book, just not in a laughing out loud kind of way. 

At times I wanted to shout at Tish because I felt that you could see what was coming and yet she was totally oblivious, but perhaps that is just me!  I did feel that at exactly 500 pages long it could have been shorter and there were a few things that were totally irrelevant, such as James obsession with ham radio.  I kept expecting it to have some impact on the story, but other than annoying Tish, there was no reason for it.

In a way this was written rather like a series of blog posts.  That is what it reminded me of!  Tish would also have made a very good blogger as she is a collector of dried out leaves in the autumn which she sprinkles around her home in baskets and drifts on the floor.  Just what any good blogger would do!

In summary.  A fun read, a good read and I would recommend it!

You can read about my plan to read my books here.

My previous reviews are here:-

The Listerdale Mystery by Agatha Christie
Shopaholic to the stars by Sophie Kinsella

I am now on to the next one, two more to go of my first selection of six books and then I can read the one that I am really looking forward to!  More details to come - in June at the current rate of progress!

Amy

p.s. sorry about the two posts in one day, I meant to schedule this for tomorrow and pressed the wrong button!

26 comments:

  1. I always enjoy a book review. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes others can see things we are blinded to for one reason or another, so not surprised about this feature of the book. Sounds like a good read, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never seem to have enough time for lots of reading either, it's frustrating isn't it. It sounds like an entertaining read, I shall look forward to seeing what you pick next. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will add that to my list of books to read. Thanks for sharing your review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not easy to review a book ... thanks for sharing.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like a cute story. I always enjoy a lighthearted romantic tale, it's nice to escape for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this title! Im absolutely agree:))
    Send you hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your book reviews are great. I much prefer someone who tells it like a friend would about what is good and bad. Books always have loads of reviews from folk I don't know and publicity blurbs so this is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sometimes think the same things about my real-life friends. LOL Seriously! You couldn't see that when you did what you did it was going to end badly????

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm reading a rather large book too, with about 500 pages and am finding it slow going and not sure where it's actually leading. I do like a book that draws you in and not too long. Thanks for your reviews and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like a fun book, I will check it out.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like one I would like. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have made me want to pick this one up and read it right now! I love people's stories and this one sounds like it has many twists! I want to see which love she ends up with! Wishing you a happy night friend! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good review, thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, I love your crochet, it is beauty, I love this colors, I follow your blog, I have a blog about crochet with free patterns and free crochet diagrams, visit me , hugs from Brazil.
    Visite meu blog - Tita Carré - Crochet

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like to read Trisha Ashley as a light read inbetween crime fiction ( my usual) and other stuff. You will LOVE Diary of a Provincial Lady when you get to it. I read so much that I've added a separate page to my blog this year. 2 Dozen already I think.

    ReplyDelete
  17. this looks like my kind of read, a lighthearted bit of escapism. I would definitely choose this one off the bookshop shelf. enjoy catching up on your reading Amy :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It sounds like a good read. I like something lighthearted so that I can read in bed before I go to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds good for a light read, thanks for the review! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. That sounds like an interesting book. I really need to get back into reading. I so enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I shall look out for it, I like a nice light read, my poor brain can't cope with anything else after work x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for the review Amy, I'm going to put it onto my wish list. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Blimey, I must have become old. I don't think I would like Fergal either...
    Sounds like a fun read. Thanks for the review!
    Now I'm off to read your Kinsella review! I somehow managed to miss that earlier.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like the character's names is that the wrong reason to read a book I wonder. I don't read nearly as much as I used to! This sounds like a good night time book x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the recommendation. Always good to read other people's views on books.
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  26. I do enjoy your book reviews. I was in a mood for a classic and I've been reading one of Patricia Wentworth's Miss Silver books but not one of her best, unfortunately, and I'm struggling with it.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx